Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: How Practical are you?
100% Practical. Such as: "Yup, I drive a Yaris."
1.96%
75% Practical. Such as: "I need a little more, like a Camry."
5.88%
50% Practical. Such as: "I splurged a little and got me an IS"
62.75%
25% Practical. Such as: "I use my SC430 every day."
21.57%
100% Indulgent. Such as: "My Aston Martin is my daily beater."
7.84%
I don't have a car. I ride motorcycles...
0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

How you chose your car: Practicality versus Indulgence...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08, 03:52 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How you chose your car: Practicality versus Indulgence...

How would you rate your most recent car buying purchases?

Would you consider yourself a practical driver, or an over-indulgent one?

How did you go about making your decision?

Discuss...
Old 01-21-08, 03:57 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm mostly an impulse buyer. Not so much that I'd buy a car that I wasn't planning on just because I saw it on the corner lot, but I buy what appeals to my eye and taste even if it is less than practical or less than top notch reliable.

Looks it number 1. Fit and finish and interior feel is 2. Reliability is 3. And fun is 4.
Old 01-21-08, 04:09 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I voted 100% indulgent, although I suppose I probably should have voted 25% practical. I'm probably closer to that than 0% practical.

Usually I'm a very value-oriented person as far as my overall purchases go but there are a few things I splurge on, and one of them is cars. I've been in the market for a V8 Vantage Roadster for a while, and would most certainly use that as my daily driver if I got it. I guess that's why I found it amusing that you put AM in the 100% indulgent option; maybe that's why I chose it.

At the same time, I suppose I have some practical tendencies. For example, I feel strongly that a four-seater car should have four doors. If I bought an M3, I'd buy an E90. But going for an M3 is where the indulgence would play in. I suppose it's demonstrated by my C43 purchase, which I certainly consider indulgent for a daily driver - even if it is entry-level and a sedan.
Old 01-21-08, 04:35 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
I've been in the market for a V8 Vantage Roadster for a while, and would most certainly use that as my daily driver if I got it.
Better change your signature...
Old 01-21-08, 04:43 PM
cjf_moraga
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also voted 100% indulgent... the way I think about my car is that I spend a considerable amount of my life in it when you add all the hours up... In a way it is an extension of the living space that is my house... and being satisfied in my house/car environment directly impacts my quality of life... for us "car people" site being emotionally satisfied with our cars has a value beyond $$$...

Sure a car depreciates... it is not an investment... the fact that a house appreciates is a (pleasant) additional benefit... but in the end you still need to live somewhere... and you still need to spend time in a car to live a productive life... so why not indulge yourself if it makes you happy? (As long as you are responsible with your finances and do not live beyond your means)

Chris

Last edited by cjf_moraga; 01-21-08 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-21-08, 04:53 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Great thread Phillip!! Well for me I voted 25% practical and yeah my SC430 is my daily beater (that and MTA subway). I'm definitely a person who loves to indulge and have a little fun while doing it.

1. Looks/ Sex Appeal- Its gotta get my attention and hold it once I buy it. And you're damn right I wanna turn heads. lol

2. Quality/ Reliability- A must after owning 2 Range Rovers and mom having a Jag. I like knowing that I don't have to order parts every few months.

3. Price/ Value- Simply put: because even Bill Gates has a budget.

4. Fun/ Ride- I dont need to feel the road i.e. BMW owners. But I want to at least enjoy my time spent behind the wheel. Especially if I'm still paying that car note.
Old 01-21-08, 05:44 PM
LexFather

I voted 50%. With gas prices what they are, I didn't need another V-8 Lexus experience.

Also, my practical side prefers fast sedans to fast coupes. My reasoning has always been if the sedan is just as fast or barely slower and handles nearly as good, well the extra room and truck make the purchase a no brainer.

I am fighting my next car purchase, practical GS 450h vs the devil IS-F....

Old 01-21-08, 05:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I like a vehicle that, overall, is affordable, does as many things well as possible, and is a good Jack-of-all-Trades. That is what sold me on the Subaru boxer engine/AWD system, especially the Outbacks. It is a car that is not only reliable and affordable, but, for my purposes, does almost everything well....especially when winter comes. It is quite well-built and has good fit/finish as well. My only complaints are the way it is marketed and the way Subaru restricts paint colors, options, trim, and packages to certain models.....you can't get color and trim just the way you want it.
Old 01-21-08, 06:09 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interesting thread. Since I buy my cars WHOLLY and dont lease or pull out loans, obviously I'm more practical than indulgent. Although I'm 24, I'm not ballin, but hardly broke . A used Lexus (with a clean record) is the perfect combo of fiscal practicality and indulgence.

I would consider myself 55% practical, and 45% indulgence. For now
Old 01-21-08, 06:35 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

75% practical. I don't have the means to splurge (although if I could I would but not on anything fancy.. just an IS or ES will do).

As of now (and it will change as I progress through life), my criteria are:
1. Reliability
2. Interior Fit & Finish
3. Cost of Purchase
4. Style

Currently have my eye on a fortwo which would make it more of a splurge than practicality since it's only a 2 seater and has a decent cargo area (compared to my Prius).
Old 01-21-08, 07:08 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Better change your signature...
I think July (when I'm slated for delivery on my IS-F) is much more likely to come around before I ever buy a Vantage!
Old 01-21-08, 07:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
I think July (when I'm slated for delivery on my IS-F) is much more likely to come around before I ever buy a Vantage!
You ordered an IS-F without a test-drive...........or are they available now in your area? Here they are not coming till April. I personally would never order a car sight unseen, or without at least a test-drive.
Old 01-21-08, 07:33 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I voted 50% since I got AWD for the winter and have fought the urge
to get an RWD V8.

Of course if I were 100% practical I would've gotten a much cheaper car like
a Subaru Outback Wagon. The ultimate Lezmobile
Old 01-21-08, 07:53 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

50%. RWD, 305 BHP, good mpg for the HP. Good looking.
Old 01-21-08, 07:56 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

My current cars - mostly indulgence, but I am going to get more practical - a sedan

Quick Reply: How you chose your car: Practicality versus Indulgence...