Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Would you use a wiki page specific for car information and news?
Yes
50.00%
No
16.67%
Maybe
33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

wiki car page would you use it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 06:29 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wiki car page would you use it?

Hey CL folks,
I'm doing a semester long project that is based on software programming. I was thinking of an idea and to keep my own interest in it, I wanted to do something car related. So I thought of what car related things (that I could write on my own) that would be useful. I came up with a wiki page that integrates factual information with shared information about personal cars. Unlike a regular wiki page, you could share personal pictures and videos about your make and model. As part of this said wiki page there would be a forum attached so you can discuss cars without having to clutter the factual wiki section. Things that can be added to the wiki would be stats of the car, available aftermarket, history, etc.
I know as a car enthusiast I like to read up on news about new cars and keeping track of news and information on cars that are being developed is hard to do. If I'm reading a thread on CL about a certain model sometimes the information gets lost within the thread and having to read a thread 20 pages long is not time efficient. And to separate discussion from actual information would be much easier to read up on a specific model.
For example: the LF-A thread. It's ridiculously long. Say if I was a person that was new to this certain model and started to read up on it and I joined CL to read on it. Well to sift through all the posts about the car I'd have to read the entire thread. Where as a wiki page I could separate the discussion posts from the posts that have pictures, details on the car, videos, news links, etc.

I was just wondering if anyone in the car world would appreciate something like that (as the project needs to be useful and somewhat innovative).
Old 01-22-08, 06:39 AM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://wikicars.org/en/Main_Page

I dont use this often, since i use other sites for sources of info. As well as magazines and books. But i dont mind seeing the way you would sort out the info/ discussion listing.
Old 01-22-08, 11:19 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by 100plus
http://wikicars.org/en/Main_Page

I dont use this often, since i use other sites for sources of info. As well as magazines and books. But i dont mind seeing the way you would sort out the info/ discussion listing.
*sigh* So it already exists...
The separation of discussion from information might not be unique enough to pass as a project idea.
Old 01-23-08, 10:05 AM
Koma

We decided it wouldn't be a useful project since it already exists so mods, please close this thread.