Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus USA's Mark Templin at the Automotive News World Congress

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 12:23 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus USA's Mark Templin at the Automotive News World Congress

Lexus will add stores, not dealers
by David Barkholz
Automotive News

DETROIT -- In the coming years, Lexus will add stores, but not dealers, said Mark Templin, Lexus general manager.

Lexus has enough dealers at 178, he said. Those dealers own and operate 224 outlets across the country, Templin told the Automotive News World Congress this morning.

Lexus will stick with dealers who have made a commitment to continuously improving the buying experience of customers, he said.

In the past three years, Lexus dealers have spent $1 billion on new stores and upgrades, Templin said. " We're trying to create a feeling in our car dealerships more of a luxury hotel than a car dealership," Templin said after his presentation.

Lexus dealers also are enhancing their Web sites to appeal to young and more mature buyers alike, he said.

They are making their Web sites more interactive, including virtual tours of the dealerships, their vehicles and even staffs, he said. " Today, the Internet is the shopping tool for everybody," he said.

The dealerships also want to have creature comforts so that buyers and prospective buyers can " hang out" if they like, Templin said.

Maintenance and service also are important to the standards that Lexus has helped to elevate nationally since launching in the United States 20 years ago.

Almost all stores have a price menu for repairs and maintenance so customers can feel assured they're paying the same as everybody else for service, Templin said.

In his speech, Templin said Lexus expects U.S. vehicle sales in 2008 to hover around 16 million units, or slightly lower than in 2007. And looking ahead three years, he's bullish.

He said sales should rise to 18 million vehicles by 2010 driven, in part, by about 4.5 million new young drivers getting on the road annually.

Those young drivers have more than $2.3 trillion in buying power, Templin said. What's more, they'll inherit $17 trillion in the coming years, or nearly three times the current national debt.

Toyota has products and price points for all those buyers, Templin said. Scion appeals to the young who want to customize their cars, while Toyota and Lexus offer comfort, luxury and performance along the way.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...8&Profile=1018
Old 01-22-08, 01:01 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the article link!

So I guess that means that Lexus will not take on new dealer franchises, but existing dealer partners will expand and add more "Lexus stores" -- like how Tustin Lexus' owners opened Newport Lexus last year.
Old 01-22-08, 01:38 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

quality over quantity. spamming dealerships around is a very bad thing to do
Old 01-22-08, 01:55 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Thanks for the article link!

So I guess that means that Lexus will not take on new dealer franchises, but existing dealer partners will expand and add more "Lexus stores" -- like how Tustin Lexus' owners opened Newport Lexus last year.
Exactly. Here in southeast Florida, Lexus of West Kendall (same ownership as Lexus of Kendall) is another similar example.
Old 01-22-08, 01:57 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

...lexus of fremont near me has a salon parlor inside the dealership, and a cafe.

ill just take my loaner car and jet
Old 01-22-08, 02:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

The trend continues. Lexus Of Orland Park (IL) moved into a new showplace facility in late '06, and just a few months earlier opened a new and equally nice dealership in nearby NW Indiana.
Old 01-22-08, 02:43 PM
LexFather

Its another showing of great vision. They won't oversaturate dealers with more dealers, instead keeping them happy with profits.

They see dealerships becoming more a place to relax and hang out instead of just a place people dread to go.

Old 01-22-08, 02:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

that's a good thing. it's time to improve the current dealerships
Old 01-22-08, 02:57 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

They need more dealerships in Brooklyn, I used to get MUCH better service at Plaza Honda than I get at Bayridge Lexus.
Old 01-23-08, 06:21 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
They need more dealerships in Brooklyn, I used to get MUCH better service at Plaza Honda than I get at Bayridge Lexus.
The Bayridge Lexus experience is similar to getting your car serviced at a Mobil station. Even the showroom is a hole in the wall imo. Lexus of Rockville Centre, Rallye Lexus is a bit better but small. Build some state of the art facilities Lexus! Rallye's BMW dealership reminds me of the Guggenheim Museum. Huge & just amazing inside and out.