Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW....2008 GS 460 and the IS-F "F stands for Fantastic"

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 10:11 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write-up.

Very nice pics!
Old 01-23-08, 07:49 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That was the most fun I have had in a long long time. I didn't have an appointment. I just went to hang out cuz I wasn't really big on the whole IS-F thing. Well Mario and Josh kept trying to get me and Wringo to gofor a drive becuase they had some slots open if we wanted them. So Terry(teelex) Wringo and I went and I hav to admit that car is awesome. Like Mike we chose to ride the GS460 as our lap learner car. We opened that thing up and I was very impressed with how that handled and the power. We than slid over to the IS-F and lexus really did that car justice. the Low end power and open wot is just amazing. The braking is fantastic and the handling was really strong. I'm a decently big guy and those seats hugged me perfectly. I couldn't believe it.

What shocked me most about this event was not how lexus traeted us, I knew they would us great, but how Lexus really just let us beat on these cars. I mean Wringo took the dam IS-F off road in one of those hard turns and I Spun out and fished tailed coming out of a corner too hard(I got control back quickly) but still I thought they would ask me to bring it back to the pits and the guys instead explained what I did wrong and let go rip it for another lap..I was amazed.

Lastly was that open run. It was where the pro lexus driver takes you for a spin in the IS-F. I knew it was going to be fun when we were told we had to where helmets for that run. The lexus drivers just beat the snot out of the car and even drifted in my turn with Wringo with me in the car. that was the best part of the day...

Just a Superb job overall by Lexus.

Big shout to you Mike. I would have never even have showed up or known about this event had you not made this into a meet/greet. So thanks..!!!
Old 01-23-08, 11:20 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the detailed impressions, looks like you guys had a great time. The IS-F sounds very promising.
Old 01-23-08, 12:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Huge congrats to Lexus for putting on a GREAT event for ENTHUSIASTS. Great way to build up that reputation.

I wonder if any Audi/Bimmer/Merc owners were there and what they thought!
Old 01-23-08, 12:18 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Huge congrats to Lexus for putting on a GREAT event for ENTHUSIASTS. Great way to build up that reputation.
Agreed

Oh yes they were Here is an assessment.

Drove the Lexus IS-F at Moroso

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

short facts, I won't go into any story telling.

went up to Lexus drive they had at Moroso, and was pleasantly surprised, they allowed you to hammer the car as hard as you wanted as long as you weren't reckless.

My personal observations of the Lexus IS-F:

Appearance
The car itself does not look much different from the regular IS350 aside from the following
1. The hood has a power dome similar to BMW's M3 but larger to accommodate the V8.
2. the front and rear bumpers are slightly different, fog lights different
3. and of course the cladding, it's sort of you either like it or don't, (I personally don't like it) but the car does look better in person than in pictures.
4. oddly enough there was a lot of controversy on the quad tail pipes and configuration, the are connected to the exhaust and I ended up liking how they came out.

Interior
1. the white interior looks clean, can't imagine it wearing well though
2. the bolsters are more supportive and seats hold you in place in tight corners, and aluminum accents
3. no noticeable squeaks or rattles, other than that basically same as the IS350 with the usual IS-F badges.

Brakes
1. Huge Brembo brakes 14.2 F 13.6 R, hammered the brakes for 4 laps and that's after someone had driven the car, they felt strong and fade free, very good brakes.
2. a lot of brake dust, but considering the car has been tracked from morning and I drove it about 2pm, the pads still looked good and no cracks in the rotor holes, Brembo knows brakes.

Suspension
1. good handling car, handles well, but a bit too much nose dive, braking from about 125mph, made the rear feel a little loose.
2. too much body roll in corners, you can tell this car weighs 3800-3900 lbs
3. easy to catch over steer and pull back in though, instructor had all nannys off by mistake when I took the helm, I went completely sideways on the South end of the track but was able to recover easily.
4. under steers at the limit and like all high HP cars able to control via the gas, car handles well, but it's no corvette.

Engine & Drive train

1. Smooth with a nice but somewhat quiet exhaust note
2. a bit anemic before I say about 3800 Rpms then it begins to pull hard and sounds a bit nicer and louder.
3. one thing I must say is for an auto, the tranny was very impressive, fast shifts and fast downshifts, up shifts were done as soon as you hit the paddle, no noticeable lag, nice thing about the tranny it has a reminder when to shift to execute red line shifts, nice.

I have not driven a new M3 I’ll compare it to what I have driven
1. E46 M3
2. 335I stock 6sp

The Lexus still does not have the steering feedback and road feel that the E46 offers, but funny enough offers more at the limit grip than both the E46 M3 and 335I. Brakes are better but does not inspire confidence when braking from 125-130, rear feels a little light, but that is due to the suspension. The rear is just as easy to control in a slide as the E46 M3, easier to modulate or squeeze throttle out of corners than the 335I. In a straight line though neither the E46 M3 or 335I can hold a candle to the IS-F, and I did say stock 335I, never driven a proceed 335I, but it feels every bit as fast as the claimed 12.7.

I think they did a good job, but based on the information I’ve gathered, the new M3 should be:
1. A better track car
2. be a more rewarding drive
but considering that this is Lexus 1st attempt, it’s a damn good one, it’s a good car.http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108824
Old 01-23-08, 01:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I spoke to a NSX guy and 911 owner who both thought it was great. The NSX owner was very impressed.

Old 01-23-08, 01:33 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I envy you guys sooooo much!!
Old 01-23-08, 01:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

DASHOCKER that's an interesting Bimmer fan's point of view - good stuff.

Sounds like very fair commentary.

The IS-F is a HUGE step forward for Lexus. I still personally think the M3 looks better and I would guess it will have a better balanced suspension and better steering but regardless, Lexus is definitely stepping up. Now they need another model to get F'ed up (other than the LF-A).
Old 01-23-08, 03:53 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

some of you are really lucky. nice review btw.
Old 01-23-08, 04:10 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great review Mike. I got your text early Saturday morning and I know you're in love with IS-F...
Old 01-23-08, 05:22 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Wow good for you Mike!! Thanks for the awesome write-up! You have all my envy. Glad to know how good a job Lexus has done for their first performance car.
Old 01-23-08, 06:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I got to see a IS-F today at the DC Auto Show.....a gorgeous Matador Red with black interior. Tomorrow, back at the show, I'm going to "drive" an IS-F on a Lexus racing simulator........but, of course, it won't be the equal of what Mike did.

The latest word from the Lexus people there at the show is an April release date. I'll do a review then, but concentrate more on the static and cosmetic details since Mike has already done such a good job on the actual driving part.
Old 01-23-08, 07:46 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting crowd at these events, I anticipate they will be/are quite effective at bringing new enthusiasts in to the Lexus F-division. I suppose they are looking to spread some favorable word-of-mouth...
Old 01-23-08, 08:28 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the review 1Sick. IS-F is one hell of a car from Lexus. That's no doubt about it.

When will 1SICK going to F'ed up ? soon?
Old 01-23-08, 08:31 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I also attended the IS-F drive at Moroso and totally agree with Mike's assessment of the car. This car is totally different from the 350. The sound that this car makes is just crazy!!!

I was driving the white IS-F and it did end up with what I'm guessing are electronic gremlins. On my second lap, coming out of a turn going into the back straight, the CEL/VSC lit up and I guess the car went into safe mode and shut the car down. We pulled the car over to the side and re-fired the car, but then wouldn't go more than 25 mph. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I saw the car back out on the track for the next session.

Given that people have been driving this car at full tilt since 8AM (I attended the 2PM session), I'd say these cars held up very well.

Overall, I definitely give the car .

Quick Reply: 1SICKREVIEW....2008 GS 460 and the IS-F "F stands for Fantastic"