Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AMG Declares the Horsepower War Over ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-08, 07:12 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hoping this topic was to introduce one of thier new engines
Old 01-23-08, 07:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BigVIPness
I was hoping this topic was to introduce one of thier new engines
Engines, at AMG, are a big deal. Every one is hand-built by an experienced techincian, who signs off on it personally and puts his (or her) stamp on the engine itself. Ford used to do the same thing with the Cobra Mustang engine and the Yamaha V6 and V8 in the Taurus SHO, but that is no longer the case.
Old 01-23-08, 08:36 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know they say you can never have enough horsepower, but come on now. If you already have between 500-600 HP in a 4 door sedan, how much more could you possibly need?
Old 01-23-08, 08:45 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i personally don't really mind the horsepower war...

with the regulations governing carbon emissions, efficiency and whatnot... if anything the horsepower war makes companies study harder on pumping out power efficiently--a technology that will provide very useful with the rising prices of oil...
Old 01-23-08, 08:55 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ecr527
I know they say you can never have enough horsepower, but come on now. If you already have between 500-600 HP in a 4 door sedan, how much more could you possibly need?
Usually those cars with more hp carries more weight than their predecessors. Whatever you gain in engine efficiency is offset by the weight. It's a shame they can't keep the weight down.
Old 01-23-08, 08:56 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
It's been amazing to see the HP increases this decade. I remember when 300 HP was considered a high number for a production vehicle, but now mainstream V6 cars are at or near that number.

When I was test driving cars last week, I had a chance to drive a CL65. 604 HP and 738 torque? Crazy figures Although not practical, it's been fun watching MB, BMW and Audi consistently try to one up the other in this HP war.
You are soooo right. I can still remember the first crop of AMG 55 cars from mercedes that had 349hp!!!This was for 00-02, then 03 came, they bolted on the blower and took the HP to 500 and TQ to 516!! I can still remember trying to FATHOM what that speed must feel like. But as you said, as time change, things change. I mean Honda Accords have 280hp now! I owned a top of the line Accord from 1995 and it had 145hp! lol

Originally Posted by GSteg
Usually those cars with more hp carries more weight than their predecessors. Whatever you gain in engine efficiency is offset by the weight. It's a shame they can't keep the weight down.

This is the reason I went to a dedicated sports car, because 500hp is not enough to make major waves anymore, when its saddled to a 4100 or 4700lb car. But 500hp and 3400lb is a different story!

Old 01-23-08, 09:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Well, there's a reason for that. More power means that stronger engine, transmission, and final-drive parts are needed, larger wheels and tires to harness that power in turns, a more rigid body structure to contain torque effects......all of which add weight, unless you use exotic and prohibitively expensive materials that are beyond the price range of most car buyers.

And, added to that, is all the extra equipment and accessories on board that is dictated by both public demand and government regulations. That, too, adds up.
Old 01-23-08, 10:27 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah.. the C63 AMG is getting ridiculous... It used to be the reverse... C36 lol (Wait... or was it C32... crap >.<)
Old 01-24-08, 06:20 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Engines, at AMG, are a big deal. Every one is hand-built by an experienced techincian, who signs off on it personally and puts his (or her) stamp on the engine itself. Ford used to do the same thing with the Cobra Mustang engine and the Yamaha V6 and V8 in the Taurus SHO, but that is no longer the case.
Yup, and thats why I was hoping this would be "AMG Declares the horsepower war over... ...Today Mercedes announced the return of its 7.3l this time with the aid of 2 turbos. Without a doubt the horsepower war is over now that this 850 horsepower beast is under the hood of the new W222 E" or something to that effect.
Old 01-24-08, 08:05 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BigVIPness
Yup, and thats why I was hoping this would be "AMG Declares the horsepower war over... ...Today Mercedes announced the return of its 7.3l this time with the aid of 2 turbos. Without a doubt the horsepower war is over now that this 850 horsepower beast is under the hood of the new W222 E" or something to that effect.
lol thought the same thing
Old 01-24-08, 08:59 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Yeah.. the C63 AMG is getting ridiculous... It used to be the reverse... C36 lol (Wait... or was it C32... crap >.<)
The had the w202 C36 and then the w203 C32 one was NA, the second was supercharged
Old 01-24-08, 09:19 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

I thought the title was going to read:

"AMG declares the horsepower war over //M cars"

Actually what's more disappointing is people with the 65 AMGs driving 50 mph on the freeway.
Not to say that you have to be a speed demon, but at least keep it 65...better yet, just don't get an amg
Old 01-24-08, 09:44 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I thought the title was going to read:

"AMG declares the horsepower war over //M cars"

Actually what's more disappointing is people with the 65 AMGs driving 50 mph on the freeway.
Not to say that you have to be a speed demon, but at least keep it 65...better yet, just don't get an amg
That is my observation too. Most of the AMG's I've seen on the road seem to be mostly driving on the slow lane . . . . . . Maybe many get these cars more for prestige/show-off than for performance ?
Old 01-24-08, 11:36 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
That is my observation too. Most of the AMG's I've seen on the road seem to be mostly driving on the slow lane . . . . . . Maybe many get these cars more for prestige/show-off than for performance ?
Maybe the owner's are still within the 1k "break-in" period. It's been tough for me trying to adhere to these guidelines.
Old 01-24-08, 12:06 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
The C36 was the original AMG C-class, from 1995 I think. I've only seen one on the road in the US ever - I actually saw more when I was in Taiwan. It was followed by the 43, then the 32k, and of course then the NA 55 and now the de-tuned 63.

I think the 43 is still the one that impressed me the most, and certainly not because I had one (given all the problems I had with it, I think I'd be more impressed with it had I never experienced it ). The 302/302 was incredible at the time.

Quick Reply: AMG Declares the Horsepower War Over ...