Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AMG Declares the Horsepower War Over ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-08, 11:01 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default AMG Declares the Horsepower War Over ...

AMG declares the horsepower war ‘over’

Posted on Wednesday 23 January 2008

It looks like Chevrolet’s Corvette isn’t the only model or maker to decide that horsepower figures have reached a good resting point. Mercedes’ AMG head has declared horsepower is “not our main focus,” instead the company will be gathering effort to improve interior and exterior appearance and quality, handling and the rest of the “overall package.”

AMG is currently happy with their power and performance levels relative to the rest of the market, and while the company won’t completely rule out further power advances, it will focus its might on improving efficiency and lowering CO2 emissions. The latter will be of paramount importance if they brand hopes to continue for long in most of the nations that constitute its largest markets, and certainly if it wants to do business in the EU, and increasingly, the U.S.

One of the main changes that may fuel the increase in economy and decrease in emissions: not all AMG models may get unique powerplants. In fact, there’s a good likelihood that AMG models could share engines with the normal Mercedes-Benz cars they are based on, according to Carpoint. An example of what AMG can do when it builds a custom engine, the 63-series engine, which powers the CLS63 AMG among others, is a fire-breathing maniac of automotive excess, producing in excess of 500hp in various trims. Unfortunately, fuel consumption is similarly excessive, clocking in at 16.5L/100km (14.25mpg US) in the combined cycle.

This compares fairly well to cars like Audi’s RS6, which grinds out 573hp from its 5.0L V10 engine. Remember, these are the horsepower figures for family sedans - yet there are supercars that can barely rival such figures. In fact, Audi’s own R8 comes in over 150hp shy of the RS6. Perhaps it really is time to focus on things besides power.
via motorauthority

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-23-08 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-23-08, 11:05 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If there is a market (which is dwindling due to the economy), it will still be made.

It will just become more exclusive and expensive...
Old 01-23-08, 11:13 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been amazing to see the HP increases this decade. I remember when 300 HP was considered a high number for a production vehicle, but now mainstream V6 cars are at or near that number.

When I was test driving cars last week, I had a chance to drive a CL65. 604 HP and 738 torque? Crazy figures Although not practical, it's been fun watching MB, BMW and Audi consistently try to one up the other in this HP war.
Old 01-23-08, 11:13 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is not a surprise. What is a surprise is the number of people who have been in denial about this going forward because people who can afford expensive cars can afford gasoline. Of course that's true but there is also a percentage of the expensive car buying community, not talkers but actual buyers, who prefer to get good mileage in their expensive luxury car and are willing to pay for it. Some of these trends are good things, given two cars with equal performance but one is lighter than the other, I will always find the lighter car to be the more enjoyable driver. But in all honesty, the auto makers, yes even the high priced automakers, are getting scared of declining sales and are looking for ways to make sure that doesn't happen. Of course government regulation doesn't hurt either but the same guys who were whining about increased fuel economy and reduced emissions are now embracing it. Fear and greed at work again.
Old 01-23-08, 12:40 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Perhaps for AMG only (if the story holds any weight). Caddy V Series, BMW M. Lexus F, Audi RS, are just getting started
Old 01-23-08, 12:54 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hp war over? lol. ok.
Old 01-23-08, 01:15 PM
LexFather

They have stated this before. Then BMW and Audi raised their game and AMG went nuts.

I mean they have more power than some exotics!!! Wow!!

Old 01-23-08, 01:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Yeah I'm not convinced either - I wouldn't be surprised to see a 1000HP AMG at some point.
Old 01-23-08, 01:49 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

the MPG war has just begun.
Old 01-23-08, 02:26 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

But has anyone noticed that while cars are getting more and more powerful, sometimes to the point of being stupid powerful, they aren't getting that much faster... Because they are getting fatter and heavier.

That being said, I'd take a lightweight S2000 or Elise over any of these overpowered overweight cars, except for a Viper or 1200hp Supra
Old 01-23-08, 03:12 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
That being said, I'd take a lightweight S2000 or Elise over any of these overpowered overweight cars, except for a Viper or 1200hp Supra
I think a MazdaSpeed3 has the best power-to-weight-to-cost ratio...
Old 01-23-08, 03:22 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I think a MazdaSpeed3 has the best power-to-weight-to-cost ratio...
Is it the 3 that has pretty bad torque steer or am I thinking of another car?
Old 01-23-08, 05:55 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This happened a few years ago with motorcycles as each maker made more powerful and faster bikes. The Japanese manufacturers agreed among themselves that 300 kph (186 mph) was the maximum speed they would allow for their factory machines. The agreement still holds.

The big companies have to start worrying about their 'image' and the Green BS; they will fall into line. You may see a few exotics with unlimited hp, but BMW, Audi, MB will not keep chasing the hp ghost.
Old 01-23-08, 06:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
This is not a surprise. What is a surprise is the number of people who have been in denial about this going forward
Bingo. Exactly what I have been saying for some time. The senseless HP/torque war could not continue forever. Only, this time, it's not going to end for the same reasons it did 35-40 years ago, after the 60's muscle-car era. Back then, emissions, high insurance rates, and an unacceptably high accident rate for muscle cars killed them off. Today, of course, cars are much safer, and the emissions problem has been licked by electronic engine controls, catalysts, and fuel injection. But 500 and 600 cars, even today, simply use too much gas to be mass production vehicles....the new CAFE standards, increasing traffic congestion, and other factors not aroung in the 60s and 70s are going to kill of the latest round of excessive-HP cars.

I'm not necessarily against having some power in cars myself...I don't like a car that is excessively sluggish, especially whan you have to get it moving in traffic without holding up people behind you. But what we have seen in recent years from Mercedes AMG, BWM M, Audi S and RS, Bugatti, the Corvette Z06, and some Dodge Vipers, in the power department, has been nothing short of ludicrous. Even the guys at Car and Driver and Road and Track are concerned about it.....and they are notorious speed enthusiasts.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-23-08 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-23-08, 07:00 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Technology baby.

Quick Reply: AMG Declares the Horsepower War Over ...