Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Almost Bought a E60 M5... Today!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-08, 07:03 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Almost Bought a E60 M5... Today!

So...

I've been known as a "impulse buyer" and today was almost befitting this title.

Started out as a routine trip to my local BMW dealer for service and as I pulled, I noticed a M5 sitting up on the ramp of pre-owned. Ironically I've been thinking about the car lately after seeing a silver one weeks ago with some mods (wheels, exhaust, and possibly more). So I decided to satisfy my curiosity and swing by after my car was ready. My service adviser referred me to a guy who turned out to be cool as ****. I basically walked up and said that I've been thinking about the M5 lately and wondered if all the hype, handling and of course supercar-like 500hp were worth it? He immediately said, "Wanna find out?" We hopped in and went over the particulars. Only option not present on the car was a/c seats (a must have for me here in TX!) but the alcantera headliner, nav, active-seats (we'll get to that in a minute) Logic 7 stereo, etc were all there. So as is customary, he pulls us off the lot and he says, don't be alarmed of the seats. As he pulls out, he nails it while turning left and instantly the side bolsters on my right inflated and deflated once we straightened out. Awesome! It accelerated like any high performance sports car I've ever been in! Didn't feel like the 375 lbs/ft of torque I thought to be way too low for A 500HP RIDE. He demonstrated the SMG by using it to shift and then the paddle shifters. After @ 15 min it was my sweaty palms eagerly awaiting... And boy was I not disappointed. It accelerates effortlessly to 100 and back down like nobody's business! But what is so surprising is how comfortable and non-jarring the ride is for such a fast car. I was able to put it through it's paces for another 15 min or so and I so giddy (probably from rolling around all plush and comfy in my 7 for the past 14 months) i had a grin on my face the whole damn time.
Didn't think to snap a pic on my cell, but it's the Sepang Bronze Metallic color which by the way had a caramel interior with aluminum trim.
Somehow IMO all BMW's look better to me in either White or Black no in between.
So we get back sit there while he discusses the many Porsche's, Benz's and a few exotics he's either sold or driven, but he points out none as rewarding as the M// cars. Why i ask? He explains no other car except maybe Porsche is purpose-built to twiddle around town and then jump unto a lap and back on the street as reliable and ready as the M. He then goes on to explain all the Formula racing technology and how we were barely touching it's capabilities! I believe it. I never got beyond 5k and he @ 6k of the 8k+ redline rpm! So I can only imagine the ferocity the car would pull between 6k-8500 rpm! The active-seats were just amazing and truly innovative. On one particular sequence I somewhat jerked right to left on a nice stretch of road and although the car was solidly planted, the right and left side bolsters inflated and deflated on cue to assure I stayed planted as well.
When we got out, and I stood there admiring this super-sedan, he's like, "You know you want it." I laugh and I'm like uhhhm yeah, it's pretty damn suhweet! So for ***** and grins i tell him to run some numbers including my best price and best trade on my 7. Let's just say had this car been the color/combo I'm now stuck on: White with some dark interior (black or brown), it would certainly be in my driveway as you read this! But, who knows... I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up all this luxury, comfort and room. I think more than anything, I'm ready for a performance addition more than anything. So I may just need to try and obtain the 2 cars on my radar: GT-R or M3. Both of which I believe would satisfy my "need for speed".
Then again... I am a impulse buyer.

Kinda envisioning a White one with a slight drop, some tasty Hartge pieces, exhaust, ecu/intake tweaks and of course a nice set of shoes.
M///mmm... Yummy!

My personal pick: Forgiato Concavo white spokes with chrome lips.

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 01-23-08 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-23-08, 07:14 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

chrome on a M car would make me cry, thats just me
Old 01-23-08, 07:15 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

i agree, bmw's look their best in black or white, but sepang bronze metalllic is a nice color as well. personally white with red interior is my favorite color combo on the m5.

Old 01-23-08, 07:16 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

the M5 makes its peak torque very near redline. Gotta plant your foot down next time
Old 01-23-08, 07:19 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

I remember seeing a convert white w/ red M6 on the floor. It was pretty damn hott!
And as far as chrome goes... Hey... That's my thing... Things that go bling! After owning my car (white w/ chrome) and having owned several "polished-lip wheels" i find the maintenance too much and the luster not nearly as nice for me personally. Of course if "weight savings" is a concern... No worries with this much power on tap... It's a non-issue.
Old 01-23-08, 07:20 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
the M5 makes its peak torque very near redline. Gotta plant your foot down next time
Hahah... that's exactly what he was saying. But guys... I just can't believe how strong it pulled with just 375 ft/lbs??? I've also driven Z06, E55 and viper... This car felt just as powerful.
Old 01-23-08, 07:26 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

here's a hartge m5 i saw a while back. chrome would definitely compliment a subtle dark color like sepang bronze metallic

Old 01-23-08, 07:31 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes the m series bmw are hella quick. my cousin like yea if you come to sf to see me i will let you drive my car. i was like mang this guy must be jokin around with me. since he just barely got it haha. but he has a 04 m3 with smg. he actually let me test drive it. it so blew me away. i only hit the car at 5k rpms and i felt like i was already gettin sucked in. i saw the speedooo and i was like o heck no gota slow down haha. makes me sorta wanna get a m3 now tehehehehe. but gota test drive the IS-F first.
Old 01-23-08, 07:49 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

OMG...!!!

Old 01-23-08, 08:21 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

M5 aren't selling very well. There are at least 6 M5 sitting in the lot of the dealership nearby. I bet you can get a brand new one for a sweet price. I wouldn't want to get a used for any performance car. You never know what the car had gone through.
Old 01-23-08, 08:24 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

M5 with M6 wheels would be hot
Old 01-23-08, 09:09 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STIG
M5 aren't selling very well. There are at least 6 M5 sitting in the lot of the dealership nearby. I bet you can get a brand new one for a sweet price. I wouldn't want to get a used for any performance car. You never know what the car had gone through.
I feel I am blessed as far as income... More would be nice. But I would NEVER buy a car in this price range new ($80k+) unless i had "mad chips".
It makes NO sense whatsoever. Why pay excessive MSRP, Market Adjustment, and a Luxury Tax, when someone else can do that for me? I learned alot buying my 7 pre-owned and saved nearly $35k in doing so. You say, "but that's a luxury car". Doesn't matter. I know auction guys and independent luxury lot guys who do this daily. You are far more likely to find pristine high-end/sports/luxury cars than not when searching pre-owned. People who spend nearly or six-figures typically don't trash their cars... Exactly the opposite. So you can go ahead and take that near 15-20% hit off the rip from a non-titled car. Me... I know better.
I've seen and driven CLS55, Porsche 911/997, E55, S55, 6 series and more either bought at auction taken on trade or whatever, ALL looked, smelled, drove new or as close as you could get to new all for tens of thousands of dollars less. Also with a little "due diligence", it doesn't take much to know the history of these types of cars either. My 7 for example... I bought it sight unseen (except for photos emailed to me) after pulling carfax and speaking to BMW North America who confirmed the car had 1 original owner and the last recorded service mileage was 18 miles more than when I took delivery. It has been flawless ever since.
Old 01-24-08, 12:12 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The current M5 is definitely a beast...come on TXSTYLE, pull the trigger
Old 01-24-08, 12:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

a guy in my office has an m5 in blue. it sounds very nice!
Old 01-24-08, 07:13 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

I completely forgot about the engine note...

Phenominal.

Quick Reply: Almost Bought a E60 M5... Today!