Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi Driver Kills Teen, Sues Dead Youth's Family Over Car Damage

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-08, 11:49 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
If he can afford an A8, he can afford a whole new one.
That's a pretty big assumption.
Old 01-26-08, 02:50 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
If he can afford an A8, he can afford a whole new one.

I don't care if the cyclist was at fault, it is the lowest of the low to sue in this matter.
How do you know it's not leased?
Old 01-26-08, 03:18 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
That's a pretty big assumption.
If he can't, then he's living beyond his means. People who buy $75K+ cars don't exactly need to watch their budget. These people are usually making over $150K/year.
Old 01-26-08, 03:27 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
The 17 y/o was the one that got hit.
*sigh*

reading > me.

the car gods will forever frown on this audi driver...
Old 01-26-08, 03:28 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

While not chump change by any means, $150k a year isn't exactly enough to the point where you don't need to watch your budget. Especailly if you have a mortatge.
Old 01-26-08, 03:33 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ramon
While not chump change by any means, $150k a year isn't exactly enough to the point where you don't need to watch your budget. Especailly if you have a mortatge.
True. Most A8 buyers or leasers are going to be making a lot more than $150K.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 01-26-08 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-26-08, 05:08 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

the guy should have stopped when he was ahead and just say sorry to the family and that was the end of it, i would be ok with that, but asking for the family to pay for the pay, then i would get pissed, but anyways, people should wear reflective clothing while doing things outside at night, one time we almost hit a kid that swerved into the middle of the road on his bike while with his friends as a joke and to scare my mom, well i got the last laugh, called the cops and told em kids were throwing fireworks at cars, and they got caught, in other words, i got em in trouble, sorry a bit of topic
Old 01-26-08, 10:32 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ksxxsk
Yeah, way to go there, champ. Let's hope his family dies too.
I wouldn't have said that, but doesn't say that his wife or gf (if he has one) telling the paper that she doesn't want him to sue.
Old 01-26-08, 10:59 PM
Q_Lexie
Driver

This is like trying to rob a house and then suing the owners for having no money. Jeebus.
Old 01-26-08, 11:11 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Q_Lexie
This is like trying to rob a house and then suing the owners for having no money. Jeebus.
LOL

I remember hearing stuff coming out of California. You can break into someone car, if u cut yourself while breaking into the person car you can sue them, and I think the guy won WTF!

Also another story I heard, some dude breaks into the guys house and the owner was home and beat the dude with a bat. The robber sues and wins.

Honestly the justice system is ****ing retarded, all over the world.
Old 01-26-08, 11:45 PM
Q_Lexie
Driver

Originally Posted by JessePS
LOL

I remember hearing stuff coming out of California. You can break into someone car, if u cut yourself while breaking into the person car you can sue them, and I think the guy won WTF!

Also another story I heard, some dude breaks into the guys house and the owner was home and beat the dude with a bat. The robber sues and wins.

Honestly the justice system is ****ing retarded, all over the world.
Try to look on the bright side. Making money just got easier!
Old 01-26-08, 11:55 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Before passing such severe judgment, keep in mind that the article doesn't necessarily tell the full story - did the cyclist swerve or cross into the path of the vehicle? Was the cyclist being otherwise negligent (something beyond not wearing reflective/visible clothing to qualify)? Again, we presumably don't know all the facts, but the bottom line is simple: The cyclist might have been killed but that doesn't mean that his estate shouldn't be liable for damages that are his responsibility.
The article does say the drivers insurance paid an award to the family of about $33K Euro, because excessive speed probably contributed to the accident. Sorry, but here in the USA if you were speeding and killed someone you will be arrested. How the trial turns out is up in the air, but almost all speeding accidents that resulted in a death of a pedestrian or cyclist that I can recall in my state ended up with the driver charged with something from either vehicular manslaughter to negligent homicide. This is even for cases when the pedestrian was not in a marked crosswalk. Once the drive is driving at excessive speed (What that speed is can be debated in court I guess) all bets are off and he is responsible.

If I were the parents of the dead teenager I would now turn around and sue this guy in civil court for wrongful death. Then they can give him his $20K Euro to fix his car from the millions they get from him.
Old 01-27-08, 12:54 AM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

its europe. i'm sure the cyclist is at fault having been riding without reflective equipment. even if he can afford an A8, he does not need to get 30g's from insurance, and either his rates go up or he gets cancelled...

How hard is it to make urself be seen? even everyday sneakers have reflective material on the back...
Old 01-27-08, 02:26 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I'm kind of with mini on this one... I know it's a sad circumstance and everything, but if it wasn't the drivers fault than it wasn't the drivers fault. Let's assume for a minute that the cyclist survived the accident, would you still be criticizing the Audi driver if he sued for damages if the accident was indeed the cyclists fault? Why should it be any different if he died? The person at fault does not change, nor does the damage to the vehicle.
Old 01-27-08, 03:10 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

If it wasn't the drivers fault, then why did his insurance company pay out and not fight? There may not have been enough evidence to charge the driver criminally, obviously his own insurance company thought the drive contributed to the accident though, or they would have had a hard time beating it in court. Heck, they even admitted the driver had excessive speed. Come on, you guys are saying if you are proven speeding you are not partially at fault? I guess in Europe this is the case, but if you speed, you are at the very least partially responsible. If the guy wasn't speeding chances are he wouldn't have run into the cyclist. That may not be proven one way or another, but unless he was driving with no headlights, no street lights, and no moon light, you can avoid unlite obstacles on the road most of the time.

I grew up driving on roads with no street lights in the country and I never hit anything on the road before. Seriously, it is not like you can't see. I can see people walking on the side of the road just fine with no street lights and dark clothing. They don't stick out like a sore thumb, but you can still see them especially if there are street lights. Just pay attention and stop making excuses.

Quick Reply: Audi Driver Kills Teen, Sues Dead Youth's Family Over Car Damage