Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What SUV should my family get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-08, 09:28 PM
Q_Lexie
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What SUV should my family get?

My mom is throwing away her ML320 for a new one, or that Porche SUV. The M-class is powerful and roomy and all, but I hated its van-like appearance. The new one looks better-designed, but the center console is disappointing (especially the nav system). And I want her to try something else. And I recommended these vehicles other than ML550 or Cayenne:

Escalade, LX and X5.

And whatever she gets, she will get a white one. Yeah, she's extremely trend-savvy.

What do you guys think?
Old 01-26-08, 09:32 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the new escalade is quite the SUV...

but personally i'd get the LX.

maybe cuz i was a previous land crusher owner?
Old 01-26-08, 09:36 PM
Perfection
Lead Lap

Either the LX or the X5.
Old 01-26-08, 09:56 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

out of those, the LX.
I personally also like the Touareg and XC90
Old 01-26-08, 10:06 PM
RenaultOne
Rookie

Before you (or her) choose(s) TEST DRIVE!!! But I would get the X5, looks great IMO.
Old 01-26-08, 10:16 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why is she buying an SUV? Does she need cargo capacity, people room, off-road ground clearance, towing capacity, or does she just feel safer in a larger, heavier vehicle? It makes a big difference in any recommendation to understand how she intends to use it and what expectations she will have for the car.
Old 01-26-08, 10:16 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I'd choose the X5 myself, but only if it was the 4.8L
Old 01-26-08, 10:24 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 767 Likes on 536 Posts

No love for the MDX? I have no personal experience with it, but it seems to be pretty popular.
Old 01-26-08, 10:24 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Why is she buying an SUV? Does she need cargo capacity, people room, off-road ground clearance, towing capacity, or does she just feel safer in a larger, heavier vehicle? It makes a big difference in any recommendation to understand how she intends to use it and what expectations she will have for the car.
I'm assuming ON stands for Ontario, which gets a helluva lot of snow in some places.
Old 01-26-08, 10:38 PM
Q_Lexie
Driver

Originally Posted by Lil4X
She just naturally likes 4X4 vehicles, like any other moms. I'm sure she won't use her precious SUV to go off-road, tow a boat, etc. And yeah, like RX_330 mentioned, snow is another factor.
Old 01-26-08, 10:42 PM
Q_Lexie
Driver

Originally Posted by whoster
the new escalade is quite the SUV...

but personally i'd get the LX.

maybe cuz i was a previous land crusher owner?
She personally doesn't like LX though. She hates how the car looks like it will flip over when it makes a sharp turn. Also she doesn't like the boxy design... while she loves Escalade. Talk about double-standard.
Old 01-26-08, 10:45 PM
Q_Lexie
Driver

Originally Posted by Allen K
No love for the MDX? I have no personal experience with it, but it seems to be pretty popular.
I once sat at the backseat of MDX, and I gotta say it was better than ML320.
Old 01-26-08, 10:51 PM
Q_Lexie
Driver

Originally Posted by RenaultOne
Before you (or her) choose(s) TEST DRIVE!!! But I would get the X5, looks great IMO.
Well we actually testdrove all of them already. She was supposed to get a new one last summer when we moved to a new place, but we spent all the money renovating the house.

By what I remember:

Escalade - Most powerful. And bling.
LX - comfiest. Elegant interior
X5 - Best interior. Surpringly smooth.
ML550 - meh
Old 01-26-08, 11:10 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Truck-based SUV's are first, last and always trucks. You can tart them up with leather and wood, fancy telematics and an impressive powerplant, but it's putting lipstick on a pig. No matter how good it looks, it's still a pig.

On the upside, truck-based SUV's are rugged and will withstand a good deal of abuse - especially those in 3/4-ton trim (Chevy, GMC). Don't expect blazing performance or handling from those three tons of road-hugging weight. For towing or hauling a load, they can't be beat. Escalades and Navigators are nicely finished, but betray their base roots a pickups - for me not an option when paying their tab in fuel and purchase price.

Midsized SUV's Tahoe, LandCruisers, LX, and the like are pricey alternatives that sacrifice a lot of luxury - If I'm going to have to haul a lot of load, I'll have my household servants follow me around in a 'Burb while I drive something a bit nicer.

Crossovers offer more car-like handling, generally better performance, and a smoothness not available in those vehicles with a more industrial pedigree. The RX, while a bit small, compared to the MDX and even the CX-9, offers a nicer cabin, AWD performance, and a more sophisticated ride/handling compromise. If your family is in the habit of taking long road trips, you won't do much better in an SUV or CUV.

The ML was a poor stopgap product rushed into production to compete with the runaway success of the RX. MB is doing it a bit better now, finally sorting out the CUV line this year. Forget Porsche, Audi, BMW, and other exotics - unless you get a deal on a pair - one for the shop and one in your garage. As for stability, I don't think short of doing something incredibly stupid at the wheel, you could roll any of these vehicles, but there are people out there who can flip a Ferrari. Obviously these come from the shallow end of the gene pool.

Finally, the one thing that keeps me coming back to Lexus, the treatment I get at the dealership. After 20-odd years of Suburban ownership, I was tired of being treated like a red-headed stepchild when I went in for service. GM sells cars from Aveo to Escalade - but they treat their customers like they are ALL trying to float a loan on a 10 year old Geo. Until they learn the difference in their demographics, their $40K+ customers need to look elsewhere.
Old 01-26-08, 11:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

MDX hands down. It rides and handles like a sports sedan, unlike LX or Escalade, which drive like trucks. At the same time it has much more space than X5 or RX, almost as much space as Escalade or LX. It also doesn't have the harsh ride of X5 although it handles just as well, and the interior is top notch. And most importanly it does not have the minivaniness of the RX - these tiny seat mounted armrests and dash mounted shifter are hideous.

Last edited by Och; 01-26-08 at 11:28 PM.

Quick Reply: What SUV should my family get?