Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Vette owner gets screwed over -

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-08, 12:11 PM
Euphoric
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS

Honestly, why can't people be content with the horsepower they have.
Because that is Boring!
Old 01-27-08, 12:16 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thats krazyyy. see this is why i dont want other people workin on my car. im scared someone just gona take it out. make it loook like that.
Old 01-27-08, 12:31 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Euphoric
Because that is Boring!
Sometime it is better to be boring, then having some wacky mechanic wreck your car.
Old 01-27-08, 12:33 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

It was a Non Z06, says it was blown(supercharged). Turns out it was a female owner of the vette. She wanted to get methanol injection and a few other things done.
The insurance of the shop offered 40K for the car, the woman said no, the shop owner offered to take any parts that were salvagable off the car and put on a new car provided by the woman with the 40K from the insurance, she said no. It seems to me she just wants a new car, cant always have what you want. I would have taken the deal from the shop owner, its not like hes gonna let what happened happen again.
Stuff like this happens all the time. I work at a BMW dealership and a couple years ago, one of the techs took out a customers M3 that had all kinds of Dinan stuff done to it, and he wrecked it..totalled it. When the customer arrived to pick up his car(not knowing it had be wrecked), he found out, and we gave him a brand new fully loaded M3 off the show room floor. I think they also paid him for the Dinan parts that couldnt be saved.

Oh well, stuff happens, the vette owner needs to stop bein stupid, a new C6 is like 40K, she coulda bought a brand new vette and had all the performance parts she had for free, installed and everything.
Old 01-27-08, 01:20 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Lots of pages. I read the first few ones and then the last when the shop owner posts. Sucks for the owner.
Old 01-27-08, 06:26 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The business must have some sort of insurance for ****ing up people cars.
Of course any reputable biz will have insurance, but they don't cut you a check at the snap of your fingers if they don't have to. If they think they can get out of paying a claim of that size, they are going to fight it.

If the shop owner is even going to give the customer the insurance info. A f_____ up like that is going to make is rates skyrocket, if not get him dropped.
Old 01-27-08, 06:49 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleeper408
Lots of pages. I read the first few ones and then the last when the shop owner posts. Sucks for the owner.
Indeed, it definitely was a mistake on the owner's part to let his employee take the car out, but he manned up to it and the OP's post doesn't tell the whole story it seems. The last post by the garage owner says his insurance would be willing to give OP money for a new Corvette, and would reuse all reusable parts in the crashed Corvette, and buy new parts for those that weren't. Owner would also pay for labor. Seems like OP didn't want just that, but upgraded parts for the stereo, etc etc as well.
Old 01-27-08, 07:19 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Abear
Oh well, stuff happens, the vette owner needs to stop bein stupid, a new C6 is like 40K, she coulda bought a brand new vette and had all the performance parts she had for free, installed and everything.
Are you sure about the price of a new Vette? Looks like the base MSRP is $46K. Anyway, if I go by the base MSRP, I wouldn't accept $40K either. If I were driving and someone crashed into me, I'd get my car repaired via the insurance. If I left my car at a shop and they negligently wrecked my car, I'd want a new car, or at least enough money to buy myself a new car. $40K IMHO isn't going to buy me a new base Corvette. We are also assuming she has a base Vette with no options. Her car could have easily been over $50K out the door when it was all said and done. It sounds like the shop is really sorry and trying to make it right, but I don't think the compensation package they are offering is acceptable yet. They still need to work out better numbers than that.

Now, if she is asking for additional parts that is not right either.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 01-27-08 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-27-08, 07:45 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, I always thought the base vette was like around 40K, maybe a little more. I wouldnt mind paying the extra 2-3 grand for getting a brand new vette with all my same parts on it, 6K is a little much to pay though I suspect. None the less, everyone is out to make the shop owner a bad guy, and he could have made things right, you know offering to pay the difference in the new vette. She said he said he has no money, but with what the other members of the vette board were saying, it seems as though he does.
If I were the vette owner, I would have taken the deal, maybe asked the guy to pay for a little of the difference, not all.
If I was the shop owner, I would have offered to pay a little of the difference.
Either way, it seems like both parties were tryin to get a better deal, lol.

Also: She said the vette the she bought was used already, so why not buy another used one?
Old 01-27-08, 07:53 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Abear
Also: She said the vette the she bought was used already, so why not buy another used one?
Now that gets more interesting. If her Vette was used that is a different story. Over all it seems like these are two parties deserve to be in the situation they are in. She is playing hardball needlessly, but the shop owner isn't an angel either. If he let an employee take a customers car home for the weekend, how many other times has he done the same thing? The guy may or may not be a nice guy, but he sure has poor business practices.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 01-27-08 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-27-08, 07:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the main issue here is that she doesn't want him to do any work on the replacement vehicle that she's going to buy, but he doesn't want to pay another shop to do the work. I think after what happened, it is very understandable why she doesn't want him working on her car - I know I wouldn't either.
Old 01-27-08, 10:56 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Thats what we call a soap opera.
Old 01-28-08, 12:24 AM
Macgyver
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
I think the main issue here is that she doesn't want him to do any work on the replacement vehicle that she's going to buy, but he doesn't want to pay another shop to do the work. I think after what happened, it is very understandable why she doesn't want him working on her car - I know I wouldn't either.
I agree. Gotta be careful who you bring your car too.
Old 01-29-08, 09:02 AM
PetesLS400
Lead Lap

Honestly, why can't people be content with the horsepower they have.

Cause then youre just like everyone else and we cant have that
Old 01-29-08, 08:52 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ White Z06 FTW!!!