Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus / Toyota Books in Print...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-08, 08:01 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Lightbulb Lexus / Toyota Books in Print...

Not sure how many folks are aware, but there are two Lexus Books in Print available (that I am aware of anyways). One is called 'The Lexus Story' & the other is 'Lexus: The Relentless Pursuit'. Both are excellent reads that explains how the Lexus brand was conceived, became the best selling Luxury automaker etc.

Another good book is called The Toyota Way that gives insight to the company's entire process of manufacturing (The Toyota Production System etc) & management principals that have made Toyota Motor Corp one of the most efficient companies in the world today.

I have all 3 (currently reading Lexus: The Relentless Pursuit) & just wanted to share that if anyone was interested in what makes Lexus/Toyota tick.....pick yourself up a copy & enjoy!
Old 01-30-08, 08:19 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Im near the end of Toyota Way, excellent book. If you can find The United States of Toyota that is a good read also.
Old 01-30-08, 09:01 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Im near the end of Toyota Way, excellent book. If you can find The United States of Toyota that is a good read also.
Sweet! Thanks 4Teh.
Old 01-30-08, 09:25 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Lexus Story and The Relentless Pursuit are both great books! I own and love both.
Old 01-30-08, 10:21 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to learn about how Toyota started this hybrid project, take a look at "The Prius That Shook The World" by Hideshi Itazaki.
Old 01-30-08, 11:43 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

In the book Premium Power: The Secret of Success of Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche and Audi, there's a chapter on Porsche and a short section within on how Wiedeking and Uwe Loos basically copied the TPS and led to the revival of Porsche in the 1980s. It's not something I would look up just to find out about Toyota (because there is little of substance except for how it impacted Porsche), but an interesting read overall.
Old 01-30-08, 04:05 PM
LexFather

Read both LExus stories and part of "the Toyota Way"......

Old 01-30-08, 04:38 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is also a third book, Lexus: The Challenge to Create the Finest Automobile by Brian Long, I borrowed it from the library and it's very nicely written (UK perspective), with lots of history still.

One problem, it's quite expensive to obtain in the US:
http://product.half.ebay.com/Lexus_W...16039QQtgZinfo
Old 01-30-08, 05:41 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
Not sure how many folks are aware, but there are two Lexus Books in Print available (that I am aware of anyways). One is called 'The Lexus Story' & the other is 'Lexus: The Relentless Pursuit'. Both are excellent reads that explains how the Lexus brand was conceived, became the best selling Luxury automaker etc.

Another good book is called The Toyota Way that gives insight to the company's entire process of manufacturing (The Toyota Production System etc) & management principals that have made Toyota Motor Corp one of the most efficient companies in the world today.

I have all 3 (currently reading Lexus: The Relentless Pursuit) & just wanted to share that if anyone was interested in what makes Lexus/Toyota tick.....pick yourself up a copy & enjoy!
These sound like books worth taking a trip to Borders and checking out while sipping a latte.
Old 01-30-08, 07:22 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
These sound like books worth taking a trip to Borders and checking out while sipping a latte.
Couldn't have said it better.