Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealers to Charge Up to $129,000 for 2009 Nissan GT-R ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-08, 05:45 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

or a Porsche 911 and an used NSX combined?
Old 01-31-08, 05:59 PM
LexFather

Hell, they marked up the 350Z.....

Not surprising, most new cars in high demand and unethical dealers =rape. Amazingly, someone will buy it.

Old 01-31-08, 06:07 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

It figures greedy dealers are going to mark it up so it is no longer the bargain it was supposed to be just so they can line their pockets from some idiot who actually pays over MSRP for a car nontheless almost double what it should be selling for. Nissan should just penalize them if they find out they had a markup and make them pay the difference for any new GTRs if that is the way they are going to conduct themselves. It completely defeats what the GTR was for Nissan which was a 911 turbo beating car that costs less then a base 911, now it is pretty much just as expensive or just a little less. This is why I think automakers should own and run their dealerships so you don't have this BS happening. It would be nice if you could just order it straight from Nissan and take delivery when it comes off the boat and eliminate the dealer trying to get rich off of the car by marking it up.
Old 01-31-08, 06:19 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nissan will definitely readjust its production numbers next year, only the patient ones would get this great sports car for good deal. When a car is worth $70k, I won't pay a cent more than that.
Old 01-31-08, 06:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not surprising, most new cars in high demand and unethical dealers =rape. Amazingly, someone will buy it.
Exactly. And that is WHY they are marked up.....dealers know there are people with more money than sense, especially around here and in SoCal.

P.T. Barnum, the famous entertainer, coined the phrase........."There's a sucker born every minute"
Old 01-31-08, 06:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
This is why I think automakers should own and run their dealerships so you don't have this BS happening. It would be nice if you could just order it straight from Nissan and take delivery when it comes off the boat and eliminate the dealer trying to get rich off of the car by marking it up.
I agree......I'd like to see it too, but automakers, in general, don't want to get involved in day-to-day dealer operations.

Saturn did take one big step toward this, however, back in the 1990's with its list-price-only sales policy, regardless of supply-and-demand.....no markups, no discounts, no rebates. It was list, tax, and tags, period, although there sometimes was bargaining on the trade-in and on financing. Dealerships had no choice.....they HAD to comply; if not they lost their franchises. It was a big hit with the public, and eventually Scion followed suit.
Old 01-31-08, 06:32 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heck, I'd just get a G and re-badge it as a Skyline even if I could afford that GTR.
Old 01-31-08, 06:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3000
Heck, I'd just get a G and re-badge it as a Skyline even if I could afford that GTR.
Which G are you referring to? If it's the one I think, that's a whole lot of rebadging. Good luck.
Old 01-31-08, 06:42 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 3000
Some people do that. If I had a G35, I would do it too.

Remember the GTR is not the Skyline anymore.

Old 01-31-08, 06:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Remember the GTR is not the Skyline anymore.
News to me, at least to some extent......I guess you're one step ahead of me on this one. I noticed that the "Skyline" part of the GTR name is not used much any more, but I wasn't aware that the designation was officially changed in the American market.
Old 01-31-08, 06:51 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

It's changed in ALL markets
Old 01-31-08, 07:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
News to me, at least to some extent......I guess you're one step ahead of me on this one. I noticed that the "Skyline" part of the GTR name is not used much any more, but I wasn't aware that the designation was officially changed in the American market.
This might get confusing
1. Nissan Skyline reintroduced in early 1990s in R32 form. GTS and GT-R versions, the GT-R the badass version.
2. Nissan gets Frenched, Ghosen needs to cut costs.
3. Nissan Primera was badged Infiniti G20. G20 discontinued twice. Nissan shows IVL concept, which becomes the Nissan Skyline sedan/coupe.
4. G name revived, slapped on Nissan Skyline to make Infiniti G35.
5. So now Japan's Nissan Skyline is our Infiniti G35. Nissan Skyline GT-R still sold until being discontinued late in early 2000s...
6. It is decided the next GT-R will not use skyline name and be sold worldwide.
7. Infiniti dealers beg for it to be an Infiniti. Even makes some press it will be an Infiniti. Nope, it will stay a Nissan and be Nissans big bad daddy of their lineup.
8. Redesigned Nissan Skyline introduced, badged our G35/G37
9. Nissan GT-R now debuts, no Skyline in the name

Old 01-31-08, 07:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK, thanks, Mike. I was aware of the Nissan-Infiniti custody battle, Ghosn's cost-cutting, and the Primera-G20 relationship, but didn't keep up on most of the rest.

I actually liked the G20, and was disappointed that Lexus never followed suit with a similiar car (the IS300 was more expensive and didn't have a four), but maybe it was the right marketing move....the G20 never was popular.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-31-08 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-31-08, 07:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, thanks, Mike. I was aware of the Nissan-Infiniti custody battle, Ghosn's cost-cutting, and the Primera-G20 relationship, but didn't keep up on most of the rest.

I actually liked the G20, and was disappointed that Lexus never followed suit with a similiar car (the IS300 was more expensive and didn't have a four), but maybe it was the right marketing move....the G20 never was popular.
G20 was nice but should never have been badged a luxury anything. Look how far the two brands are, Lexus totally avoided I-4 cars and it shows. Lexus doesn't have a discontinued anything.

If anything the Acura TSX is a rebadge with a I-4 that gets it right (but not for me at all).

Old 01-31-08, 09:58 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This might get confusing
1. Nissan Skyline reintroduced in early 1990s in R32 form. GTS and GT-R versions, the GT-R the badass version.
2. Nissan gets Frenched, Ghosen needs to cut costs.
3. Nissan Primera was badged Infiniti G20. G20 discontinued twice. Nissan shows IVL concept, which becomes the Nissan Skyline sedan/coupe.
4. G name revived, slapped on Nissan Skyline to make Infiniti G35.
5. So now Japan's Nissan Skyline is our Infiniti G35. Nissan Skyline GT-R still sold until being discontinued late in early 2000s...
6. It is decided the next GT-R will not use skyline name and be sold worldwide.
7. Infiniti dealers beg for it to be an Infiniti. Even makes some press it will be an Infiniti. Nope, it will stay a Nissan and be Nissans big bad daddy of their lineup.
8. Redesigned Nissan Skyline introduced, badged our G35/G37
9. Nissan GT-R now debuts, no Skyline in the name

Quick Reply: Dealers to Charge Up to $129,000 for 2009 Nissan GT-R ...