Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealers to Charge Up to $129,000 for 2009 Nissan GT-R ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-08, 09:58 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Which G are you referring to? If it's the one I think, that's a whole lot of rebadging. Good luck.
The 35 or the 37 is fine with me.
Old 02-01-08, 03:25 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nissan should just start pulling franchises away.
Old 02-01-08, 04:12 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Badman Forever
awww.. boo hoo. guess we won't see many kids driving that car in america atleast. i bet the new m3 is going to have a type of markup too. glad i'm not getting either of those.
With 100k units its first run, BMW will be discounting the M3. The worst markups I ever saw were people paying double the sticker price. It was the first production models of Mazda's Miata.
Old 02-01-08, 04:34 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by speedflex
It's unfortunate that dealers are exploiting the demand for the car this way. Just make it first come, first served and when the first allotment is sold out it's just sold out. People who seriously want one, and there will be many more than 1500 of them, will sign up for the second year run.

Greed is the name of the game for the dealerships.
Greed? I wouldn't call it greed. It's business marketing at its finest. Dealers are not greedy, but ask yourself this; Why sell a car for 70k when you can get 100k+ for it? The airlines know this all too well. Why sell a seat for 100 bucks when they can get 1,200 bucks? Are dealers really going to be in "fat city" just because they sell 4 GTR's in a year? A 30k markup isn't going to make a dent in the dealers' financial statement.
Old 02-01-08, 04:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Nissan should just start pulling franchises away.

Exactly. I've long been a believer in that. Saturn used to have that policy with its dealerships (they called them "retailers"). It was list price, period, plus tax and tags. No markups, no discounts, no rebates. If the retailers didn't comply, and Saturn found out, the franchise could be pulled.
Old 02-01-08, 04:57 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Exactly. I've long been a believer in that. Saturn used to have that policy with its dealerships (they called them "retailers"). It was list price, period, plus tax and tags. No markups, no discounts, no rebates. If the retailers didn't comply, and Saturn found out, the franchise could be pulled.
doesnt lexus too have a policy in effect in which its dealers are not allowed to mark up any car PAST MSRP with a clause stating penalties in their franchise contracts?

nissan could do the same
Old 02-01-08, 05:13 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This might get confusing
0. Prince Skyline introduced 1957. (Production would continue to at least 2008...)
0b. 1966 Prince / Nissan merge, Prince Skyline became to Nissan Skyline

0c. Nissan Skyline GT-R first introduced in 1969.
1. Nissan Skyline GT-R reintroduced in late 80s in R32 form. A number of R32 variants existed including GTS and GT-R versions, the GT-R the badass version.
2. Nissan gets Frenched, Ghosn needs to cut costs.
3. Nissan Primera was badged Infiniti G20. G20 discontinued twice. Nissan/Infiniti shows XVL concept, which becomes the Nissan Skyline sedan/coupe.
4. G name revived, slapped on Nissan Skyline to make Infiniti G35.
5. So now Japan's Nissan Skyline is our Infiniti G35. Nissan Skyline GT-R still sold until being discontinued late in early 2000s...
6. It is decided the next GT-R will not use skyline name and be sold worldwide.
7. Infiniti dealers beg for it to be an Infiniti. Even makes some press it will be an Infiniti. Nope, it will stay a Nissan and be Nissans big bad daddy of their lineup.
8. Redesigned Nissan Skyline introduced, badged our G35/G37
9. Nissan GT-R now debuts, no Skyline in the name
edits in bold.

note the R34 skyline is succeeded by the v35 skyline (and subsequently the V36). usdm g35s/g37s have v35/v36 badging if you look at the mfring plates in them. the R34 GT-R is succeeded by the R35.
Old 02-01-08, 06:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
doesnt lexus too have a policy in effect in which its dealers are not allowed to mark up any car PAST MSRP with a clause stating penalties in their franchise contracts?
Maybe. I don't know. But you may have a point.....I have never heard of a Lexus product selling for more than list, unless it has Lexus-approved dealer-added accessories. Usually, however, Lexus does not have noted supply-and-demand problems that place a lot of prssure on asking prices. A couple of xceptions.....the IS300 SportCross, which had almost no demand at all, and the new IS-F, which, when introduced in April, will probably be in more demand than supply.

But Lexus dealers, unlike Saturn retailers, DO sell used cars and other products for more than list or KBB value. For at the example, the Lexus shop I bought my yellow IS300 from back in 2001, the young salesman I dealt with there was the son whose father owned and operated a huge local Ford dealership....one of the largest in the area. That Lexus dealership got a hold of a brand-new, white, 2-seat Thunderbird, presumably from that local Ford shop.....the T-Bird, at that time, was like gold, and almost impossible to get.
They parked it out on the front lot and put it up for sale. I just happened to be there, getting a transmission ECU update for my own Lexus, when a woman came in off the street, took out her purse and checkbook, and calmly wrote a check for $54,000 for a car that listed for roughly $35K (I don't remember the list exactly). I told the young salesman I'd never pay that kind of markup, which of course he already knew, and he said......"You're not buying a T-Bird, either. That's what the market brings." At the time, he was right....and Lexus could not pull the franchise because it obviously was not a Lexus product.
Old 02-01-08, 06:52 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Greed? I wouldn't call it greed. It's business marketing at its finest. Dealers are not greedy, but ask yourself this; Why sell a car for 70k when you can get 100k+ for it? The airlines know this all too well. Why sell a seat for 100 bucks when they can get 1,200 bucks? Are dealers really going to be in "fat city" just because they sell 4 GTR's in a year? A 30k markup isn't going to make a dent in the dealers' financial statement.
Dealers are opportunistic gougers and what you said above illustrates this. 4 GT-Rs at 30k profit per car is more profit than they'll make selling 20 Altimas.
Old 02-01-08, 07:12 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I agree. It's all about supply and demand. There's a BIG demand and a small supply. It's that way in electronics and other things too.

When the consumer no longer will pay the high price, then dealers will reduce their asking price. If I was in the market, I wouldn't like it, but that's the way it is. If these high asking prices turn out to be factual, just wait a few months and they'll be down to around sticker, maybe a little higher.
Old 02-01-08, 08:39 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's bull****. the car was meant to be driven by enthusiasts, not stored in the garage of some rich self proclaimed car collector *******. the wya it's going, that's all that will happen with these cars. why even bother producing the car if all we're going to see is pictures on the internet and no real cars being driven by regular people down the street.
they should have made 150,000, not 1500. it's a nissan not a ferrari, mass produce the damn thing so true enthusiasts can buy one.
Old 02-01-08, 09:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
When the consumer no longer will pay the high price, then dealers will reduce their asking price. If I was in the market, I wouldn't like it, but that's the way it is. If these high asking prices turn out to be factual, just wait a few months and they'll be down to around sticker, maybe a little higher.
Yep. That's usually the case, although it often takes longer than a few months. Eventually, demand slows and supply rises. But until that happens, it's gouge-them-royally at many dealerships. In my lifetime, I've seen that happen with the Honda CRX, Mazda Miata, Honda S2000, Plymouth Prowler, Chrysler PT Cruiser, VW New Beetle, Nissan 350Z, Ford 2-seat Thunderbird, Corvette Z06, Pontiac Solstice (the Saturn Sky had Saturn's list-price policy), Toyota Prius, and others...the GT-R will probably be next. And you'll notice that these are mostly either sports cars or sports-oriented models.....you rarely see this kind of severely tight supply with more mundane vehicles, although the Honda Odyssey minivan has occasionally had some mild supply shortages.

But, not all is bad news. There ARE some dealerships that don't believe in excessive price gouging, even if they will not lose their franchises by gouging. They will sell even high-demand/short supply vehicles either at list or with a small markup at the most. They, wisely, place the satisfaction of their customers ahead of quick, short-term profits, and it often pays for them in the long run. A friend of mine (I helped set up the deal for him) bought a then-new Solstice in 2006 at list from a local dealership that didn't believe in price gouging.
Old 02-01-08, 12:39 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's see if Lexus will put mark up on LF-A
Old 02-01-08, 02:33 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
No doubt the GT-R is impressive, but for $130k, there are a lot of other cars I'd rather get.
yeah, what he said
Old 02-01-08, 06:05 PM
LexFather

Amazingly, even at 130k, the car is really not even overpriced outside of lack of prestige/image and dealer service. The car outperfoms the 911 Turbo and a slew of other cars, amazing.

To be at 70k base is amazing!

Quick Reply: Dealers to Charge Up to $129,000 for 2009 Nissan GT-R ...