Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealers to Charge Up to $129,000 for 2009 Nissan GT-R ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-08, 08:58 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Amazingly, even at 130k, the car is really not even overpriced outside of lack of prestige/image and dealer service. The car outperfoms the 911 Turbo and a slew of other cars, amazing.

To be at 70k base is amazing!
I agree that for the performance it gives, it is not overpriced compared to the competition. However, assuming that market value for the first year is going to be $130,000 (at this point, if this is what most all dealers are fetching, MSRP means nothing) this car is no longer as special. It is no longer faster than a 911TT for half the price. For that much money, it had BETTER perform in the realm that it does because you can easily put a Porsche key in your pocket for that price. For example, if for the last 3-4 years, Nissan had said the car is going to be comparable in price to a Porsche Turbo or Mercedes 600, there would've been much less doubt that the car would liven up to what they promised it would be. People would be thinking that since they traditionally have been spending nothing on their Fischer-Price interiors (I'm not talking Skyline's specifically but Nissan as a whole), for $130,000 Nissan had better have been able to make one of the fastest cars on the planet. It would've been an absolute must that it performed comparable to the 911 Turbo AT THE MINIMUM.

When you get to that price range though, consumers either want a light-weight *****-out track car or something that does have some Prestige/Image. There are going to be GTR's sold for this overinflated price. However, I will be very curious to compare the price of an 08 GTR and an 08 997 Turbo in 3 years. I highly doubt the GTR can sustain this above-sticker market value like the F430 has been able to even near the end of its production run (dealers have already started moving clients to the waitlist for the F430 replacement which is still a couple years away)
Old 02-02-08, 04:11 PM
naga11
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Greed? I wouldn't call it greed. It's business marketing at its finest. Dealers are not greedy, but ask yourself this; Why sell a car for 70k when you can get 100k+ for it? The airlines know this all too well. Why sell a seat for 100 bucks when they can get 1,200 bucks? Are dealers really going to be in "fat city" just because they sell 4 GTR's in a year? A 30k markup isn't going to make a dent in the dealers' financial statement.
Greed = Business Marketing. Same difference.
Old 02-02-08, 04:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Amazingly, even at 130k, the car is really not even overpriced outside of lack of prestige/image and dealer service. The car outperfoms the 911 Turbo and a slew of other cars, amazing.

To be at 70k base is amazing!
Yes, but a 130K NISSAN?

You know I don't buy into the idea of image, prestige, streotypes, and keeping up with the Jones's, and I know that to some extent you don't either, but sooner or later someone else will bring up the question of the "downscale" Nissan badge justifying that kind of money. After all, that is what killed the VW Phaeton.

But, of course, Ford dealers did it, successfully, with the GT...some dealers were charging upwards of 200K for it.