Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealers to Charge Up to $129,000 for 2009 Nissan GT-R ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-08, 09:42 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Dealers to Charge Up to $129,000 for 2009 Nissan GT-R ...

Dealers to Charge Up to $129,000 for 2009 Nissan GT-R
Wednesday, January 30th, 2008 | News with

So much for getting a GT-R at anywhere near sticker. There’s no doubt in anyone’s mind that the 2009 Nissan GT-R won’t be sold at invoice. With the new cost associated with the GT-R business, a little market value increase is expected, as dealerships have to train their technicians on the new vehicle.

We made 15 phone calls to dealerships in various states including California, Virginia, Washington, Florida, Illinois and Texas. The general consensus is that would-be GT-R owners are, in a few cases, going to pay almost double the sticker price of the 3.8L two-door.

One of our first calls, a friendly sales rep at Nissan of Huntington Beach (California), told us, “We are marking it up. We’re seeing averages of 20-30 grand [from dealers]”. Another salesman at a dealership in Seattle, Washington told us, “It’s going to be like an auction, going to the highest bidder. Only the General Manager and owner of the store are allowed to sell [GT-Rs]. Just like an auction.”

George, a salesman from a dealership in Carson, California stated, “I spoke with finance and they said, ‘ it’ll be $50,000 over sticker.’” Take note, he was pretty nonchalant when he told us that the mark-up would be roughly the price of one 350Z and a Sentra combined. That wasn’t the highest mark-up we found; another dealership told us that it’ll be first come, first serve and that they won’t accept deposits, but that consumers should expect to pay “$35,000 to 60,000 over sticker.” Let’s see, $69,000 plus $60,000..

We’d be blind and deaf to not see a pattern here, but there’s no much interested buyers can do. Nissan plans to produce roughly 1,500 units per year through the vehicles lifecycle. There’s little supply and a whole lotta demand. Dealerships are expected to get between 2-8 units, most will be closer to the former with only high volume dealerships getting more GT-R vehicles. And even though the dealers are expecting a scant few vehicles, they’re still taking names, with one list up over 40 people. With odds like that, don’t even bother to put your name down on a list.

There’s not much that Nissan can do to “fix” this problem. When contacted for a statement Nissan stated, “We are being very vocal about pricing of the car with consumers and the dealers to reinforce the value. As you know, we legally can’t prevent dealers from setting their own price as they are a franchise, but we will do what we can to reinforce the resistance to mark-ups.

“For the sale of GT-R’s we are asking dealers to require dealer principals and/or Executive Managers to deal with consumers interested in buying the GT-R. This ensures that management at the highest level of the dealership is making the deal.

“Additionally we are working with dealers to look at the long term plan for the vehicle on how mark-ups may hinder that plan. We are working closely with them so that they are aware and understand what we envision for the vehicle beyond the first model year and ensure they understand how their active involvement will help with that. This is definitely a partnership (as with any vehicle) so we want to reinforce that.

“Allocation of GT-Rs will be based on a number of criteria including the sale of current 350Z models so that may help ease some of the mark-up pressure.
“Finally we are requiring dealers to submit pre-sale paperwork through our regional offices which includes the sale price so that Nissan can provide ongoing counsel regarding mark-ups of the vehicle.”
It’s true, as independently owned businesses the dealerships are free to set their own prices, but this is something that will only hurt the brand and GT-R moniker, not help it.
source

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-31-08 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-31-08, 09:46 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

At least lexus doesn't do this ridiculous over sticker markup, just their add on

I thought $100k was bad, but for an extra $30k more???
Old 01-31-08, 09:56 AM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awww.. boo hoo. guess we won't see many kids driving that car in america atleast. i bet the new m3 is going to have a type of markup too. glad i'm not getting either of those.
Old 01-31-08, 09:57 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not suprising.
Old 01-31-08, 09:58 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

It's simply a matter of supply.

Nissan says that there isn't much they can do, but there is. Increase supply.

1500 per year is pathetic and just isn't enough. That's more rare than the Ferrari 430.
Old 01-31-08, 10:06 AM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, those prices are stupid. at least it will hold its rarity value. although kbb might disagree. o well
charley
Old 01-31-08, 10:11 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No doubt the GT-R is impressive, but for $130k, there are a lot of other cars I'd rather get.
Old 01-31-08, 10:46 AM
LexFather

Not suprising at all, Nissan dealers consistently score low in any survey. To think the most expensive Nissan with mark-up costs twice as much as any vehicle from their luxury marque, lol

Old 01-31-08, 11:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Give it a few months and things will be closer to reality as far as pricing goes. On a different level, remember when the PT Cruiser came out and people were paying crazy amounts over sticker? Same with other hot new cars, certain Vettes, the recent and now departed T-Bird etc., etc.
Old 01-31-08, 11:06 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

i cant wait until the lf-a comes out. that'll put some sanity into the market.

oh wait...
Old 01-31-08, 11:29 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I have put down deposit at 2 dealerships in writing at MSRP. But my allocation is only in 2009. However, I was told by my dealer that they are not taking anymore deposits at this point. (they have 11 people on the waitlist at MSRP) If you shop around and calls many dealerships, it's not that difficult. Whether they are going to give me a car at MSRP, we will have to wait and see.

On the side note, my BMW dealer called me yesterday and told me that my M3 is ready to order. I think i will pass.
Old 01-31-08, 11:29 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer has every right to charge what the market will bare. God bless America.

Just like every hot new model, there will be markups and the person who is wise with his/her money will wait. The must haves will shell out big bucks to be the first one on their block to have one.

I remember a client of mine bought the new Pontiac Solstice when it first came out. They paid about $5000 over sticker. I thought it was foolish, but they didn't seem to mind.
Old 01-31-08, 11:38 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
The dealer has every right to charge what the market will bare. God bless America.

Just like every hot new model, there will be markups and the person who is wise with his/her money will wait. The must haves will shell out big bucks to be the first one on their block to have one.

I remember a client of mine bought the new Pontiac Solstice when it first came out. They paid about $5000 over sticker. I thought it was foolish, but they didn't seem to mind.
I'd forgotten about the Solstice. It was the same thing with the Saturn Sky an the New Beetle several years ago. The list goes on.
Old 01-31-08, 11:44 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I'd forgotten about the Solstice. It was the same thing with the Saturn Sky an the New Beetle several years ago. The list goes on.
S2000 had pretty crazy mark ups too back in the days.
Old 01-31-08, 11:45 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I talked to my clients work at Nissan dealer, and what they said is true...

Quick Reply: Dealers to Charge Up to $129,000 for 2009 Nissan GT-R ...