Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen Phaeton may return to U.S.(considers diesel powerplant for U.S.)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-08, 05:02 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You simply don't just sell a flagship over $60,000 and expect it to sell. People want the IMAGE and SUCCESS of the entire brand!!! People that buy these cars new, want to be associated with a company that speaks top of the line and one that "other" people know. These are STATUS symbols. A $100k VW is simply not seen as a status symbol, but more as a "logical" decision.

Infiniti, we are not even sure how many M45s they sell as they don't break up sales figures. History has shown their price ceiling with consumers is around 50k. Who wants to be associated with a discontinued product??

Look at Jaguar. The XJ is tremendous, light, decent power, classy looks and good features. Jaguar as a brand is lackluster until recently, thus it hurts flagship sales.

Today, Lexus broke the 100k barrier with success. It took them 18 long years with precise planning and incredible execution.

If Lexus tried to sell a 100k LS back in 2001, the market might not have been ready for it. Lexus has continued to build a BRAND people want and can be proud of. People want to be associated with the brand and buy the LS (which outsells most the competition at least 3 to one) b/c it is the ESSENCE of the brand.

You pull up in a LS/S/7 it speaks for you.

You pull up in a A8/XJ/Q45/Phaeton, you have to speak and explain it.

That is the sad, brutal truth not just here, but in Europe, Asia, Russia and around the world (flip flop the LS/A8 in Europe though).
VW will never learn, even after watching the Japanese for 20 years. It took Lexus all those years AFTER they created a brand new lux brand because they knew that too many people would balk at buying a true lux vehicle sitting on the showroom floor next to a Corolla.
Old 02-01-08, 05:11 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
More then anything (again and again) this class is about PRESTIGE. VW has none. No one bought the W8 Passat and no one will buy this, again....
Exactly! VW is not a luxury brand and cannot command a luxury price. Could Timex or Casio sell a $5000 watch to compete with Rolex? Yes, but would people buy it...no. Sounds like VW will never learn.
Old 02-01-08, 05:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
Exactly! VW is not a luxury brand and cannot command a luxury price. Could Timex or Casio sell a $5000 watch to compete with Rolex? Yes, but would people buy it...no. Sounds like VW will never learn.
I don't necessarily agree with this line of thought. Things in the auto industry DO change. Twenty years ago, for instance, in the U.S. market, Hyundai was selling junk rebadged Mitsubishi econoboxes, with some of the worst enginering and quality on the market. Today it equals or outdoes Toyota in some areas of quality and fit-finish, sells $40,000 Veracurz luxury SUV's, is about to introduce luxury RWD V8 sedans, and is growing faster than the number of illegal immigrants.

Same, to an extent, with VW, which, during in my lifetime at least, has gone from 40 HP, air-cooled Beetles to $50,000 luxury Touraegs that are some of the most advanced and versatile SUV's on the planet....they perform well both off and on-road, which is difficult to acheive. And, while the Touraeg does not sell in huge numbers, it sells enough, and has a large enough customer base, for VW to keep in in production, despite competition from its own brothers Porsche Cayenne and Audi Q7. I think that if the Phaeton sticks around long enough, it WILL sell....it is just a matter of people actually LOOKING at it and comparing its features and price to similiar products from BMW and Mercedes.

People, for example, often come to me for advice about new or used-car purchases. When I sometimes recommend a Hyundai product (IF I feel that is the best one for their needs), I sometimes get a "What...are you kidding?.....they make junk." reaction. It takes me a while to convince them that time doesn't stand still, that those days are gone. When they DO go to the dealership, LOOK at them, and see for themselves, more often than not, another new Accent, Sonata, or Santa Fe is parked in somebody's driveway a few hours later.

Quality and engineering are quality and enginering, no matter what badge is slapped on it. And the reverse is also true........revered nameplates can also produce sub-standard products. The low reliability of many recent Mercedes products proves that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-01-08 at 06:04 AM.
Old 02-01-08, 06:08 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't necessarily agree with this line of thought. Things in the auto industry DO change. Twenty years ago, for instance, in the U.S. market, Hyundai was selling junk rebadged Mitsubishi econoboxes, with some of the worst enginering and quality on the market. Today it equals or outdoes Toyota in some areas of quality and fit-finish, sells $40,000 Veracurz luxury SUV's, is about to introduce luxury RWD V8 sedans, and is growing faster than the number of illegal immigrants.

Same, to an extent, with VW, which, during in my lifetime at least, has gone from 40 HP, air-cooled Beetles to $50,000 luxury Touraegs that are some of the most advanced and versatile SUV's on the planet....they perform well both off and on-road, which is difficult to acheive. And, while the Touraeg does not sell in huge numbers, it sells enough, and has a large enough customer base, for VW to keep in in production, despite competition from its own brothers Porsche Cayenne and Audi Q7. I think that if the Phaeton sticks around long enough, it WILL sell....it is just a matter of people actually LOOKING at it and comparing its features and price to similiar products from BMW and Mercedes.

Quality and engineering are quality and enginering, no matter what badge is slapped on it. And the reverse is also true........revered nameplates can also produce sub-standard products. The low reliability of many recent Mercedes products proves that.
Hyundai found a niche--make a car fully loaded with features found in a luxury car, but price it to compete with a family car. How many Genesis buyers are cross-shopping Lexus, Infiniti, Caddy, MB? And how many are looking at Accords, Passats, Camrys, Avalons and saying: "Look at all the features I'm getting for the same price?" The original Pheaton was no bargain--with a few options, it was the same price as an A8. The Toureg isn't any bargain either; for the same price, or cheaper, you can have an RX350 or an MDX (true, no V8, but the V6 isn't cheap). If VW wanted to undercut on pricing, and try and market their car as a competitive, but less costly, alternative, they may succeed.

In the 1980s, Acura, Lexus and Infiniti didn't just jump in to compete head to head with all luxury brands--they focused on more bang for the buck to lure buyers away from lux brands, and capitalized on the Japanese reputation for quality. Hyundai's quality has substantially improved--VW has dropped.

Last edited by tex2670; 02-01-08 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-01-08, 06:37 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. I think that the majority of the people interested in such a car are already familiar with it and in turn are familiar with the price of the first one. IMO the only way VW will truly get a car like this to sell would be to offer it in hybrid form and scoop up a bunch of buyers looking for a large car but don't want to have to wait/pay for the LS600h.
Old 02-01-08, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Hyundai found a niche--make a car fully loaded with features found in a luxury car, but price it to compete with a family car. How many Genesis buyers are cross-shopping Lexus, Infiniti, Caddy, MB? And how many are looking at Accords, Passats, Camrys, Avalons and saying: "Look at all the features I'm getting for the same price?" The original Pheaton was no bargain--with a few options, it was the same price as an A8. The Toureg isn't any bargain either; for the same price, or cheaper, you can have an RX350 or an MDX (true, no V8, but the V6 isn't cheap). If VW wanted to undercut on pricing, and try and market their car as a competitive, but less costly, alternative, they may succeed.
I disagree on two counts.

First, the Genesis has not been released for sale yet in America, so there is no direct way of knowing how many shoppers will directly compare it with luxury-nameplates...we'll just have to wait and see....but we DO know that many of the recent Azera sales hve come at the expense of the Toyota Avalon, Lexus ES, and Buick Lucerne, and recent Santa Fe/Veracruz sales at the expense of the Highlander, LX350, and Acura MDX.

Second, no matter how you look at it, despite its low sales, the Phaeton 12-cylinder WAS a relative bargain. You can't directly compare it to the Audi A8 because the Phaeton offered a W12 engine (which differs slightly from a true V12) at roughly the same price of the A8's V8 engine.

I agree with you that VW quality, in some areas, is sub-par, especially in electronics, but electrical gremlins are the bane of most German-designed cars these days, not just VW. Mercedes, in some ways, is even worse.
Old 02-01-08, 07:30 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

I wasn't even aware that they stopped selling these. When I worked at VW a few years ago, I got a chance to drive the bosses' Phaeton V12.... the thing was a beast especially since I was so used to driving my 3600lb 145hp ford taurus!
Old 02-01-08, 09:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I wasn't even aware that they stopped selling these. When I worked at VW a few years ago, I got a chance to drive the bosses' Phaeton V12.... the thing was a beast especially since I was so used to driving my 3600lb 145hp ford taurus!
Yes. The Phaeton W12 (it was not a true V12) was not only a beast in the power department at some 420 HP (and standard AWD to harness that power), but also had an interior fit for a king.
Old 02-01-08, 12:35 PM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

People, for example, often come to me for advice about new or used-car purchases. When I sometimes recommend a Hyundai product (IF I feel that is the best one for their needs), I sometimes get a "What...are you kidding?.....they make junk." reaction. It takes me a while to convince them that time doesn't stand still, that those days are gone. When they DO go to the dealership, LOOK at them, and see for themselves, more often than not, another new Accent, Sonata, or Santa Fe is parked in somebody's driveway a few hours later.

You make some very good points, in the end people purchase what in their mind is the best for them and their needs. My brother-in-law had a Touareg and it was very advanced but the quality and reliability was horrible. When he would take it in for service he was treated like he had a $15,000 car when had actually spent more than $50,000. Luxury is more than just a price tag, it is also about quality, reliability, resale value, and the service you receive after the sale, and I believe VW has a long way to go on these points.
Old 02-01-08, 01:05 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I don't think Volkswagen should give up on the Phaeton or a higher end car. They did not get it right with the last one in that it was way too heavy, underpowered, looked too much like a regular Volkswagen, and was too close in pricing to the nicer Audi A8 which what it was based on. Just because the Phaeton did not succeed at first does not mean they should just quit. I sat in a Phaeton and it is a very nice car, beautifully done with a really nice interior, nicer then most of its competitors. The problem was they were selling a really expensive luxury car at a Volkswagen dealership and the marketing was poor on this car, I never saw a commercial for it. They can do another one but make it smaller, lighter, more eyecatching, and price it well below its competition, I think there is a market for a German luxury sedan that gives you everything people want in a really expensive German lux sedan but at a fraction of the cost. If it is around 50-55K and is as good or better then a 80K+ Sclass or 7 series then word will get around and they will have some sales although it won't be in huge numbers. I don't think they should just give up as it could be successful if done right.
Old 02-01-08, 01:37 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the niche were talking about here is the "Bargain" luxury vehicle, where people want most of the features and goodies of a higher end brand, dont want to pay for the premium, and dont really care about brand name. In this case, comparing the phaeton and the A8 would be like comparing the Avalon and the ES, a top of the line Accord vs a TL, etc.
Old 02-01-08, 02:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You make some very good points, in the end people purchase what in their mind is the best for them and their needs. My brother-in-law had a Touareg and it was very advanced but the quality and reliability was horrible. When he would take it in for service he was treated like he had a $15,000 car when had actually spent more than $50,000. Luxury is more than just a price tag, it is also about quality, reliability, resale value, and the service you receive after the sale, and I believe VW has a long way to go on these points.
And, in this case, YOU make a good point as well. VW in general is not known for good customer service, although the local Subaru-VW shop where I bought my Outback is excellent with customers. Still, it has had some arrogant VW salespeople....one of who was perhaps the worst salesperson I ever saw. You can bet he didn't get a single dime from me.
Old 02-02-08, 10:37 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I could afford the maintenance, I would so buy one; probably over a 7, S-class or A8 (now if it's an S8 or Alpina B7, different story). It looks drop dead gorgeous and it's so well put together. Even the thump of the door is perfect. I have always loved how Audi's weight of buttons feels, things that can't be put to numbers feel so right, but I think the Phaeton is at that level, if not more. Granted I haven't driven it yet, but if it's based on the D1 (hell, same as the Bentley Flying Spur/Continental GT), I'm sure it drives good enough for a daily driven luxury car.

VWAG makes great cars, but seems like the VW symbol is the trouble...sadly I guess it's about the image and not about the car itself. Like the Passat W8 4Motion. I get excited when I see one but my friends are like "dude, it's just a VW...." [shrugs].

mmarshall>
you got lucky with your Subaru/VW shop. I had a Subaru SVX back in the days and I dreaded going to the dealership...but ironically they were the only ones that knew how to work on that car.
Old 02-02-08, 05:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by leedogg
I think the niche were talking about here is the "Bargain" luxury vehicle, where people want most of the features and goodies of a higher end brand, dont want to pay for the premium, and dont really care about brand name. In this case, comparing the phaeton and the A8 would be like comparing the Avalon and the ES, a top of the line Accord vs a TL, etc.
That analogy is false in this case.
ES comes from Camry
Tl comes from Accord

Phaeton DOES NOT come from A8.

Phaeton is actually Bentley Continental based, its actually the BETTER platform. The Phaeton also had a few worlds first. It was not a rebadge job, it was all new the ground up, including a new plant that was nearly all glass where you could see your Phaeton built.

Old 02-02-08, 05:42 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

i think they should make a flagship, but instead of some german uber sedan, what if they make a car like the toyota avalon. a 35-40 grand sedan with audi like features for a vw price. and people will and would cross shop vw with other luxury cars. when my dad first bought his lexus, he was originally going to buy an avalon, and when my mom bought her lx, she looked at the lc. so if toyota can sell the lc for 70 something, as well as sell the corrola s/p, why can't vw sell a flagship model and sell the rabbit too, if you guys get what i am saying. and another company that i think has the same issue, volvo. they are great cars, but would you rather, if image was your thing, have a mb or a volvo

Quick Reply: Volkswagen Phaeton may return to U.S.(considers diesel powerplant for U.S.)