Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one do you want to see the new version the most?
Mazda RX-7
16.46%
Honda NSX
37.34%
Honda CRX
2.53%
Toyota Corolla Trueno/Levin
6.33%
Toyota Supra
62.03%
Mitsubishi 3000GT
7.59%
Nissan Silvia/240SX
11.39%
Toyota MR2
15.82%
Others, please specify
5.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Which sports car do you want to see it resurrecting the most?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-08, 01:42 PM
gs3db9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to see the 240 sx "the king of all Drifter cars"
Old 02-03-08, 01:59 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UDel
What source told you this? This is the first I have heard of them going mid-engine again, if correct it would please alot of people as most think they should have kept the replacement mid-engine in the first place like the original. I do hope your source is not a Acura dealership salesman/mechanic because they are generally not good sources and just tell rumors or make things up to tell people which they have no evidence about.
It's nothing substantial of a source, not an engineer or anything but my friend works at Honda Headquarters in Torrance. I don't know how much is urban legend or speculation, but that is what he told me he heard thru the grapevine.
Old 02-03-08, 07:31 PM
cpone
There can only be One

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I didn't even bother looking at any of the other choices. I went right to the Supra. No question about it.
Same here.
The Supra is hands down the dominant of all those cars.

-Come on now seriously the RX7? You had your chance Mazda RX8=FAIL.

-NSX is already in the works and it looks horrible so far.

-The CRX? Why would you want to. Besides I thought that the Honda INsight was the new CRX.

-Trueno/Levin? Seriously?

-3000GT- They have a hard enough time just selling Galants let alone another car.

-240SX - Peeked my interest a little.

-MR2 - Not before the Supra.
Old 02-03-08, 08:07 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cpone
Same here.
The Supra is hands down the dominant of all those cars.

-Come on now seriously the RX7? You had your chance Mazda RX8=FAIL.

-NSX is already in the works and it looks horrible so far.

-The CRX? Why would you want to. Besides I thought that the Honda INsight was the new CRX.

-Trueno/Levin? Seriously?

-3000GT- They have a hard enough time just selling Galants let alone another car.

-240SX - Peeked my interest a little.

-MR2 - Not before the Supra.
I wouldn't consider RX-8 as a fail project. Mazda still sold an acceptable amount of them throughout the cycle so far, in my opinion. It is just that RX-8 isn't fast enough, and the two extra doors would discourage many true sports cars fans. I would say make a FE RX-7, just like the new GT-R, give it a crazy turbocharged rotary engines making more than 350hp and keep the weight under 3300lbs, it would sell.

Trueno is not a bad idea, a light nimble FR liftback for a price similar to Honda Civic or even Honda Accord. Who wouldn't want one out of college or in college? I say it would be much more encouraging than some FF so called sports cars such as Toyota Celica or Honda Prelude.

Silvia is probably overlapping with 350Z, and probably would thin out the Z's sales, unless it is much lighter with a relatively high output four cylinder engine.
Old 02-03-08, 08:26 PM
98supra6sp
Driver

As a owner of a black on black 98 Supra T.T. 6spd with a targa, I would love to see what Toyota could do with a new Supra. But I would not want to see the resale value of my car plummet. Not that I would ever sell it.

Old 02-04-08, 12:09 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Nice Supra, unfortunately if Toyota does another Supra it is not going to be anything like the last one, they are just way to conservative now to put out something like that or something that enthusiasts would love. It would be either some kind of lame hybrid thing or just use a V6 tuned to around 325hp with little aftermarket tuning potential. Toyota is not the company it once was nor does it want to be. Gotta give Nissan credit that they have a 350Z , are coming out with the GTR, have an Altima coupe, and may be doing another rwd 240.
Old 02-04-08, 03:53 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Nice Supra, unfortunately if Toyota does another Supra it is not going to be anything like the last one, they are just way to conservative now to put out something like that or something that enthusiasts would love. It would be either some kind of lame hybrid thing or just use a V6 tuned to around 325hp with little aftermarket tuning potential. Toyota is not the company it once was nor does it want to be. Gotta give Nissan credit that they have a 350Z , are coming out with the GTR, have an Altima coupe, and may be doing another rwd 240.
Sounds like the last Supra to me.
Old 02-04-08, 10:24 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Sounds like the last Supra to me.
The last Supra was designed to take on the turbo Skyline GTR, turbo 300ZX, Corvette, turbo RX-7, 944/911 turbo, and other higher end cars costing alot of money and putting out very good performance numbers back then. The Supra pretty much beat all those cars using a Twin Turbo Inline 6 designed and over engineered to handle alot more power the stock hence why it was so tunable. Unfortunately that meant the Supra was very expensive and did not sell well, Toyota did not want a poor selling car in their lineup and axed it even though enthusiasts loved the car.

A aluminum IS/GS v6 tuned to a just good enough 325hp to keep costs down is not going to be nearly as tunable as a over engineered cast iron twin turbo inline 6 nor offer as much performance. Also since most Japanese sports cars now are not designed to take on expensive competition but mid priced sub 40K cars a new Supra will not have to beat more expensive higher performance Japanese/European competition. Toyota is not going to want the Supra expensive again this time and it taking on the 911 turbo, Corvette, GTR, etc they want it cheaper taking on the less expensive models like the 350Z, G37, RX8, Cayman, S2000 which means less going into the car and less performance and performance potential.
Old 02-04-08, 10:27 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Supra FTMFW........
Old 02-04-08, 12:10 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Ummm ... the plans are on the table already.

Boasting a powerful V6 3.5L engine, the FT-HS is coupled with Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive® to produce a target power output of approximately 400 horsepower and a projected zero-to-60 acceleration in the four-second range. At a mid-priced market position, the FT-HS would be a true "attainable exotic" with 21st-century performance.
Old 02-04-08, 02:12 PM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

Supra, NSX, RX* (isn't going to be Rx-9?) and a RWD prelude (come on Honda it won't kill you to make a second RWD car).
Old 02-04-08, 03:08 PM
my_shaldan
Lead Lap

pls bring back the

RWD Toyota Starlet

Old 02-04-08, 03:35 PM
ecstaticSC
Racer

I definetly want to see the MR2 come back; a v6 mid engine car would be fun.
Old 02-04-08, 03:51 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 94lex83457
Supra, NSX, RX* (isn't going to be Rx-9?) and a RWD prelude (come on Honda it won't kill you to make a second RWD car).
Meh. I had a Prelude (w/out 4WS) and that is a car that you wouldn't want in RWD. Truly amazing handling.
Old 02-05-08, 10:12 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

The last Supra was designed to take on the turbo Skyline GTR, turbo 300ZX, Corvette, turbo RX-7, 944/911 turbo, and other higher end cars costing alot of money and putting out very good performance numbers back then. The Supra pretty much beat all those cars using a Twin Turbo Inline 6 designed and over engineered to handle alot more power the stock hence why it was so tunable. Unfortunately that meant the Supra was very expensive and did not sell well, Toyota did not want a poor selling car in their lineup and axed it even though enthusiasts loved the car.

A aluminum IS/GS v6 tuned to a just good enough 325hp to keep costs down is not going to be nearly as tunable as a over engineered cast iron twin turbo inline 6 nor offer as much performance. Also since most Japanese sports cars now are not designed to take on expensive competition but mid priced sub 40K cars a new Supra will not have to beat more expensive higher performance Japanese/European competition. Toyota is not going to want the Supra expensive again this time and it taking on the 911 turbo, Corvette, GTR, etc they want it cheaper taking on the less expensive models like the 350Z, G37, RX8, Cayman, S2000 which means less going into the car and less performance and performance potential.
I ocmpletely agree with this. Bring back the Supra ONLY if it can live up to its name. Don't wanna see some weak engine that can handle sub par HP.

Quick Reply: Which sports car do you want to see it resurrecting the most?