Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one do you want to see the new version the most?
Mazda RX-7
16.46%
Honda NSX
37.34%
Honda CRX
2.53%
Toyota Corolla Trueno/Levin
6.33%
Toyota Supra
62.03%
Mitsubishi 3000GT
7.59%
Nissan Silvia/240SX
11.39%
Toyota MR2
15.82%
Others, please specify
5.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Which sports car do you want to see it resurrecting the most?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-08, 12:45 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
In this forum, I bet it's the Supra that will be mentioned the most I want to see a new Supra too
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 06-26-08, 01:07 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would hardly clarify a CRX a sports car.... It's a fun car to drive with mods, but no where near a sports car.

Supra by far!
Old 06-26-08, 01:43 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I dunno about resurrecting anything ... but I think it would be excellent if there were still those types of sports cars being made by the various manufacturers
Old 06-26-08, 04:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Originally Posted by gshb
ah yes, 240z. in any case, the supra is/was never a behemoth. it runs a little slower than the G37 and even back then, the 300zx was the better sports car. im not talking about your fast and furious supras. btw, if you want a fast twin turbo car, its called the 335i. if you are talking about modding, then again, 335i. theres a reason why all these cars on the list died. hence why i wouldnt want to resurrect anything here. except for maybe the 300zx, which isnt on the list.

so the question is, why would you resurrect a sports car only to do an engine swap on it? you waste all that time and money because you got the wrong car to begin with.

and let me know when the IS350 coupe comes out. also, let me know if it comes with a 6MT.
Runs a little slower than a G37? How did you arrive at that conclusion? I just dyno'd my 15 year old, BONE STOCK down to the air filter and plugs '93 TT (OK - 2 mods - BCC and elevated boost). It made 305 to the wheels on a Dyno Dynamics set up (375 crank). All this with the original cats, original turbos, and original engine build. Slower than a G37? I think not. With a weight over 3600 lbs (my car weighed 3415 on a certified scale with a 1/4 tank of fuel) and less power to the wheels (did I mention I work with a guy who owns a G37), I hardly think I have anything to be concerned about when an unboosted G37 pulls up beside me.
Old 06-26-08, 06:11 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I really want a 94-99 Toyota Celica GT-Four.
Old 06-27-08, 09:47 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Runs a little slower than a G37? How did you arrive at that conclusion? I just dyno'd my 15 year old, BONE STOCK down to the air filter and plugs '93 TT (OK - 2 mods - BCC and elevated boost). It made 305 to the wheels on a Dyno Dynamics set up (375 crank). All this with the original cats, original turbos, and original engine build. Slower than a G37? I think not. With a weight over 3600 lbs (my car weighed 3415 on a certified scale with a 1/4 tank of fuel) and less power to the wheels (did I mention I work with a guy who owns a G37), I hardly think I have anything to be concerned about when an unboosted G37 pulls up beside me.
lol ok, stock except elevated boost. its like the 335i guys saying their car is bone stock with chip. right. anyway, a friend has a true bone stock 95 TT down to the wheels and lug nuts. iirc, specs were 3500+ lbs 320hp 300+lbft 53%F/47%R. it was at laguna seca and all day long my stock g37 is right there with the TT. i know you track, so you must be aware even if there was some disadvantage in HP, the g37 would still be able to keep up. on more level terms, i had no problems slowly passing my friend. i figured you of all people on CL would be more knowledgeable. back then i remember C&D getting to 60 in a TT in the low 5s. the supra TT and g37 have a lot in common. like i said, im not talking about fast and furious TTs.

with that said, both the g37 and supra are not the ideal cars to track. but since both are gt sports cars, i would take a g37.

the only old *** japanese sports cars i want are midengined. why? because those are no longer made in any form today and the layout is exotic. but im not holding my breath because lotus is there to save the day.
Old 06-27-08, 09:54 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

What about the Ford Cobra or Sunbeam tiger from the 60's ?
The Ferrari Dinos were pretty cool too.
Old 06-27-08, 10:12 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ah yes, 240z. in any case, the supra is/was never a behemoth. it runs a little slower than the G37 and even back then, the 300zx was the better sports car. im not talking about your fast and furious supras. btw, if you want a fast twin turbo car, its called the 335i. if you are talking about modding, then again, 335i. theres a reason why all these cars on the list died. hence why i wouldnt want to resurrect anything here. except for maybe the 300zx, which isnt on the list.

so the question is, why would you resurrect a sports car only to do an engine swap on it? you waste all that time and money because you got the wrong car to begin with.

and let me know when the IS350 coupe comes out. also, let me know if it comes with a 6MT.
SupraTTs stock are faster than the G37; I dont know WHAT world you live in, but it must be a very confusing one. stock supras frequently dyno 280-300whp bone stock on dynojets (not the dyno dynamics that lobux was referring to - the G37 dynos about 250-255whp on those btw).

The SupraTT stock was faster than the 335i as well. It had larger turbos and made much more power with mods. I dont see any 450-500whp stock-turbo 335i's running around, kthxbye.

You're saying the slower, worse handling, horribly braking, overheating-prone 300zxTT was a better car than the supra. ROFLMAO. Dude, please just give up now. I've owned one before, my SC300 is twice the car of my old 300zx.

Why resurrect a sports car? Because its fun. A 2500lb 240sx with some decent suspension will run rings around MANY cars and is very easy and fun to drive. You swap a motor in it because its FUN. Its a easy/cheap way of making great power in a very lightweight car. An LS1 240sx with suspension will DESTROY many many cars at the track (1/4 mile, roadcourse, whatever).

lol ok, stock except elevated boost. its like the 335i guys saying their car is bone stock with chip. right. anyway, a friend has a true bone stock 95 TT down to the wheels and lug nuts. iirc, specs were 3500+ lbs 320hp 300+lbft 53%F/47%R. it was at laguna seca and all day long my stock g37 is right there with the TT. i know you track, so you must be aware even if there was some disadvantage in HP, the g37 would still be able to keep up. on more level terms, i had no problems slowly passing my friend. i figured you of all people on CL would be more knowledgeable. back then i remember C&D getting to 60 in a TT in the low 5s. the supra TT and g37 have a lot in common. like i said, im not talking about fast and furious TTs.

with that said, both the g37 and supra are not the ideal cars to track. but since both are gt sports cars, i would take a g37.

the only old *** japanese sports cars i want are midengined. why? because those are no longer made in any form today and the layout is exotic. but im not holding my breath because lotus is there to save the day.
You're sitting there quoting magazine numbers; I bet you're a 15 year old bench racer that has never seen Laguna Seca nor knows where it is; only on the playstation right?

The SupraTT was made 15 years ago, maybe before you were born. Let that sink into your head. Now... it made more power than, outbrakes, outhandles, weighs less, and outaccelerates the G37. PLEASE tell me how the G37/335i is faster or more mod friendly? And don't give me some track BS either.
Old 06-27-08, 10:36 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bean
SupraTTs stock are faster than the G37; I dont know WHAT world you live in, but it must be a very confusing one. stock supras frequently dyno 280-300whp bone stock on dynojets (not the dyno dynamics that lobux was referring to - the G37 dynos about 250-255whp on those btw).

The SupraTT stock was faster than the 335i as well. It had larger turbos and made much more power with mods. I dont see any 450-500whp stock-turbo 335i's running around, kthxbye.

You're saying the slower, worse handling, horribly braking, overheating-prone 300zxTT was a better car than the supra. ROFLMAO. Dude, please just give up now. I've owned one before, my SC300 is twice the car of my old 300zx.

Why resurrect a sports car? Because its fun. A 2500lb 240sx with some decent suspension will run rings around MANY cars and is very easy and fun to drive. You swap a motor in it because its FUN. Its a easy/cheap way of making great power in a very lightweight car. An LS1 240sx with suspension will DESTROY many many cars at the track (1/4 mile, roadcourse, whatever).

You're sitting there quoting magazine numbers; I bet you're a 15 year old bench racer that has never seen Laguna Seca nor knows where it is; only on the playstation right?

The SupraTT was made 15 years ago, maybe before you were born. Let that sink into your head. Now... it made more power than, outbrakes, outhandles, weighs less, and outaccelerates the G37. PLEASE tell me how the G37/335i is faster or more mod friendly? And don't give me some track BS either.

quite a post you have. i feel like im posting on e90post.

i actually dont own a playstation.

youre sitting there quoting me dynos #s as opposed to real world times.

yes, because everyone has a fast and furious supra with 500whp and more hp means faster lap times right?

im not 15 years old. why would i lie about tracking at laguna seca? youre either a serious cynic or youre the one bsing me.

you say you have a 300zx before. it was a great car and both it and the supra have won import car of the year.

im not going to tell you how the g37 is more mod friendly, because i never said it was.

335i? haha you need to proof read your posts before you go off on some emotional rant. did i strike a nerve or something?
Old 06-27-08, 02:37 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Big *****
What about the Ford Cobra or Sunbeam tiger from the 60's ?
The Ferrari Dinos were pretty cool too.
The Cobra I/II with the 1962-63 273/289 engine stuffed into what was essentially a beefed up AC Ace was a beautiful marriage of Europe's sophisticated handling a pretty ham-fisted American V8. It had a few quirks, but after a year or so in development, eventually showed well in club races, running B Production.

By 1965, AC had reached the peak of its production capability and Ford took over production, turning out the monster 427/425 Cobra Mark III/IV. The car was incredibly fast, but on short tracks was like driving a funny car on a road course . . . pass everyone on the straights, and watch them pass you in the corners. At long tracks like Daytona and LeMans they were standouts, but were eventually killed by Ford's waning interest in racing at the end of the decade.

The Tiger was a really interesting approach to bringing Cobra I power to a nicely-appointed English sports car. Based on the Sunbeam Alpine, a real gem of a modern sports-tourer that was well ahead of its more traditional sports car competition in the UK. To this platform, the good folks at Jensen, having considerable experience adapting American V8's to English touring cars, shoehorned a 260 CID Cobra I V-8 where no one ever thought it would fit.

It almost didn't. If you ever changed spark plugs on a Tiger, you soon discovered only six plugs were accessible under the hood. You had to crawl into the passenger compartment and remove two rubber bungs on what appeared to be the "transmission" tunnel to get to the back plugs.

On the road, the Tiger was a real Q-ship, so named for the English freighters fitted with hidden deck guns that would lure U-boats into an "easy" kill on the surface, then suddenly drop the camouflage, and unload a full broadside into the sub. Tigers did roughly the same thing on the street, appearing to be slick little 2-seat family convertibles, often with whitewall tires and a rather tall, narrow stance. Most drivers missed the two rather large exhausts below the rear bumper.

While not as fast as a Cobra, the Tiger was about half the price of its cousin. It was far more comfortable, practical, and spacious, with a usable trunk (sorry, boot) and a relatively smooth ride. What it did was absolutely smoke a LOT of early muscle cars thanks to its light weight. Although the chassis was reinforced to handle the V8, it was a little bendy, particularly under hard braking. It handled pretty well considering the forward weight bias, and if you ever considered building a hot rod with a torquey V8, you could buy one ready to roll from your Chrysler/Rootes/Sunbeam dealer.

Here was the best of both worlds, an attractive English roadster with American V8 punch and a full warranty.

Photos courtesy mustangandfords.com

Last edited by Lil4X; 06-28-08 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-28-08, 07:25 AM
LexFather

You cannot compare the Supra to the G37, even if the G37 has more power to the crank. The Supra was a high 4 second/low 5 second 0-60 car with mid 13 second 1/4 mile times. The new G37 is BARELY faster than the lighter G35 model. The G37 isn't even faster than an IS 350 or 335, let alone a Supra.

What do you mean "you thought we on CL would be more knowledgable"? How about not pass judgement on an entire forum when debating with one or two people.

Will the G37 keep up with a good driver. Surely, 3.7 V-6, 330hp, electronic steering and sway bar do-dads and its based on a fantatic, sporting platform.

I'd put my money on the stock Supra anytime. You do BPU on a Supra and you are near 400 to the crank with about $2k in mods.

As for a nice entry level luxury GT, the G37 wins everytime.

Old 06-28-08, 09:46 AM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I wish they would bring back the 240sx and the RX-7. I might be a little biased though.
Old 06-28-08, 01:18 PM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

NSX, Supra, and RX7 is my 3 favorite of all time.
Old 06-29-08, 10:20 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JamesN
NSX, Supra, and RX7 is my 3 favorite of all time.
R33 Skyline GT-R, NSX, and RX-7 are my 3 favorite of all time. I guess we have similar tastes.