Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What do you guys think about the Jaguar XF?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-08, 10:07 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What do you guys think about the Jaguar XF?

Looks pretty hot to me and it is going to replace the Jaguar S-Type which has come up to average in CR reliability. That would be my biggest concern regarding Jaguar.

I can do without the hidden motorized vents as it would be one more thing to break.

http://www.jaguarusa.com/us/en/xf/preview/preview.htm

Your thoughts?
Old 02-02-08, 11:06 PM
rajwany
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USLEX
Looks pretty hot to me and it is going to replace the Jaguar S-Type which has come up to average in CR reliability. That would be my biggest concern regarding Jaguar.

I can do without the hidden motorized vents as it would be one more thing to break.

http://www.jaguarusa.com/us/en/xf/preview/preview.htm

Your thoughts?
uh any particular reason we r talking about a jaguar in a lexus forum.
Old 02-02-08, 11:10 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Moved to Car Chat.

I think it is an interesting vehicle, and a much-needed return for Jaguar. It is a model that is born out of survival necessity, sorta like Buick had with the Lucerne, and others. Hopefully it will succeed for Jaguar. If we believe the UK reviewers, it is the cat's meow.
Old 02-02-08, 11:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well I've done more reading on it and its a mixed bag for me.
1. Its still based on the OLD S-type, which was based on the LS/Ford Thunderbird. Not a bad thing but not great either.
2. Carryover powertrains. We just had to put up with Lexus doing this with the GS 430, why is Jag doing the same? The 420hp engine is nice but will cost around 65k.
3. Looks. If I want a car to look like the GS, I will just buy a GS. The front is odd and the beltline very high. The concept was much better. The best part is the swoopy rear with Aston Martin tails.
4. Interior has cool features, ambient lighting, pop up controls, closing vents. It still leaves me cold in pics, must see in person.
5. Shaky image. Jaguar might go under, it hasn't made money as a company in over 10 years. I am a huge Jag fan but that just smells of failure.
6. Size. The car is 195 inches long, as big as the last gen LS 430. Its a big car.

Now on the other hand, it is different, it will be more "special" as it will be sold in smaller quantities. However, it just leaves me so-so on paper. I will have to drive and feel to make a final opinion.
my thoughts........

Old 02-02-08, 11:23 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by rajwany
uh any particular reason we r talking about a jaguar in a lexus forum.
There's nothing with that since most lexus owners do own other brands

Just like in your case with the upcoming S550

Design wise, I love the concept headlight. They screwed it up with their production unit
Old 02-02-08, 11:35 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I think its the best thing that has come from jaguar since....ever.

its very good looking on the outside, looks like a GS. interior needs a little bit more work though
Old 02-03-08, 08:50 AM
allklr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front reminds me of the Sebring to much, Everything else on the car is slick.
Old 02-03-08, 12:41 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Probably among the ugliest cars I've ever seen. The front is just vomit-inducing like the current S. The rear end styling is Aston-ish but the trunk bulge ruins it.
Old 02-03-08, 03:09 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

This is the first and only Jaguar I found attractive. Finally a genuine Jaguar luxury sedan good enough to take on BMW 5-series and Benz E-class.
Old 02-03-08, 05:37 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I want to see Jaguar survive, and I believe the XK and XF will lead its renaissance.

However, I see it downsizing, being produced in limited numbers such as Aston Martin or Bentley, which is what Jaguar is supposed to exude: exclusivity, luxury, and iconic status.
Old 02-03-08, 06:24 PM
ninous26
Driver

nice car, but a garbage front end.. I think jaguar kind of woke up in the exterior design area.
Old 02-03-08, 07:34 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I want to see Jaguar survive, and I believe the XK and XF will lead its renaissance.

However, I see it downsizing, being produced in limited numbers such as Aston Martin or Bentley, which is what Jaguar is supposed to exude: exclusivity, luxury, and iconic status.
Ford has never been able to pull that off. Unless FMC decides to hire someone with some good ideas, i dont see Jaguar surviving.

The small Land Rovers now are Re-badged Escapes...terrible.
Old 02-03-08, 10:26 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the exterior and some of the interior bits (JaguarTouch, RAZR-like illumination, unique rotary driver ****) but I hate the front seat design and the door panels that look like it came out of a Lincoln.

I do hope it succeeds because Jaguar hasa great heritage and had great designs. Unlike the 911, relying on their traditional design didn't get them anywhere and going back in time (with the S-Type) made it worse.
Old 02-03-08, 10:40 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I like the rear 3/4 angle view the best. I think the little badges on the fenders vents are busy looking. I'd love to see one slammed on some 21" ZONE 10's and then cast my vote on how much I like it! lol

The interior is a 10 in my book, love it.
Old 02-03-08, 10:54 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Looks OK, chassis tuning is superb, according to some of the reviews (comfortable and controlled at the same time), price is not too bad.

Reliability is a big question, plus, I think it is mildly embarassing for Jaguar V8 to be making same power as Lexus/Infinity/BMW 6 cylinder engines.
Their base V8 should be good for at least 360hp.

I'll wait and see what Hyundai Genesis has to offer.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think about the Jaguar XF?