Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Sonata Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-08, 10:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
In fact, the new Sonata shares the same center stack "metallic" strip as the new Corolla interior...
They both have strips yeah, but they're not even close to the same.
Sonata's stops at the dividing color transition and the upper silver parts have the vents in them on the sides vs. the simpler, plainer Corolla interior.
Old 04-08-08, 10:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Your comment is ironic given that the revised Sonata interior looks more like a Toyota interior than anything else.
As 1SICKLEX pointed out, the Sonata's interior is close to the Lexus RX350, which is impressive. Name a Toyota interior this is similar to.
Old 04-08-08, 10:38 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

it looks like a better executed camry interior. same nav, same panels under he nav. all they did was add some wood trim, add some "lexus" into it, and voila
Old 04-08-08, 11:00 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69

Interesting that there is only D & nothing else like 2 or L, I guess it is rare people use that mode & perhaps thats what the sport shifter is for?
Pretty old topic, but that shifter with D only is just like BMW. If you notice, you can move the shifter into the slot on the side and select whatever gear you want manually. Looks similar to my E46 330i.
Old 04-08-08, 11:04 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
As 1SICKLEX pointed out, the Sonata's interior is close to the Lexus RX350, which is impressive. Name a Toyota interior this is similar to.
It does look similar to the RX dash. One think I like better about this layout as compared to my 04 RX330 dash layout is that the AC controls is at the bottom and separate hard button controls which I like, and the Nav/Radio screen is up high and looks to be much closer to a standard double DIN, or at least about to fit a double DIN with little mods. I hate that cars today are coming with so integrated radios and at such odd shapes. I personally have turned down buying cars simply for the lack of ease installing aftermarket audio/video components.
Old 04-08-08, 11:06 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you want a strongly sports-oriented vehicle, fine.....Hyundais are clearly not for you. They don't have firm underpinnings or responsive steering. Otherwise, you just sound like................

Thanks Marshall...

Last edited by TJW98LS; 04-08-08 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-08-08, 11:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Thanks Marshall...
I didn't mean it as a rude comment....nothing personal. I was only trying to point out that the public perception of Hyundai is some 10-15 years behind the times, and is not consistent with reality.

In reverse, this also the case withn Mercedes-Benz. Much of the public still perceives M-B vehicles as among the best on the planet, as was the case 15-20 years ago. Though still rated highly in safety features, in reality, M-B is the second-worst nameplate in reliablity today, behind Land Rover.
Old 04-08-08, 11:19 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The layout of the interior, and the placement of many of the controls has Toyota written all over it. It's obviously not identical to any one particular Toyota interior, because Hyundai would be making a big mistake in doing so. The interior though is similar to several Toyota interiors. I see strong similarity not just to the RX interior, but also to the Highlander and Camry interiors.

Hyundai is not shy about stating their goal which is to become like Toyota (in whatever sense that may be) and that can be seen in many of their recent interiors.
Old 04-08-08, 11:25 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The layout of the interior, and the placement of many of the controls has Toyota written all over it. It's obviously not identical to any one particular Toyota interior, because Hyundai would be making a big mistake in doing so. The interior though is similar to several Toyota interiors. I see strong similarity not just to the RX interior, but also to the Highlander and Camry interiors.

Hyundai is not shy about stating their goal which is to become like Toyota (in whatever sense that may be) and that can be seen in many of their recent interiors.
This is true, there are a lot of cues from different Toyota cars in the interior. What Hyundai IMHO is doing well so far at least is taking the good things about each interior, combining them, and omitting the bad things (At least things I don't like). For example. The top center dash looks very similar to the RX. However, I like the traditional shifter location on the floor. I hated the dash mounted shifter lever on our RX330. I also hate climate and radio controls that are too integrated into the touch screen only. I prefer separate units for them and separate hard buttons. I prefer the radio unit to be independent as a whole, and easily changeable. I like the Nav screen as high up on the dash as possible. That means the AC vents are either on the side like on this Hyundai or RX, or below the nav screen.