Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai owning other car companies on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 06:46 AM
Olu
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just went through the entire webpage for this car.

Awesome to say the least. If they ever get this with AWD I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 02-04-08, 08:05 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you think it would be better for Hyundai to create a luxury nameplate for its Genesis sedan and coupe? Does somebody want to buy a car for $40k from the same company that sells a $12k econobox and lines the rows at the car rental shops?

They need to go study the fate of the Mazda Millenia in the 90s. Great luxury car, but still a Mazda.

Regardless on what they decide, the sedan and coupe look killer and will demand attention from the world. Being 1/2 Korean, the Genesis makes me proud. I'm even considering the Genesis coupe!
Old 02-04-08, 08:12 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's the video...

http://www.hyundainews.com/Media_Kit...Video_2600.asp
http://www.hyundainews.com/Media_Kit...Video_2604.asp
Old 02-04-08, 08:25 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by shern
Do you think it would be better for Hyundai to create a luxury nameplate for its Genesis sedan and coupe? Does somebody want to buy a car for $40k from the same company that sells a $12k econobox and lines the rows at the car rental shops?
ford is apparently doing it, despite them having mercury and lincoln, I really dont think the name matters, they dont even try to make the car look different from the econo version besides plastering chrome all over it
Old 02-04-08, 08:50 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by shern
Based on the premise above, I guess folks should avoid the Vette Zo6 because it is a Chevy and not a Caddy.
Old 02-04-08, 09:14 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought Hyundai was their Luxury line while Kia was their "diffusion" line... hehe J/K.
Old 02-04-08, 09:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

GREAT ads. Trying to remember the name of the voiceover guy... actor Jeff... er,
Old 02-04-08, 09:28 AM
ninous26
Driver

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
If their claims are true - 375 hp and more spacious than a BMW 7-series - then this is going to be a serious competitor and a nice a$$ car for a great price
Yeah, might be competition to people that are new in the market... But do you really think a yuppie is going to show up with the Genesis and say to his friends "hey guys! check out my new hyundai!!! its more spacious and powerful than your 7 series".. I mean come on, if they wanted it to be guranteed luxury it wouldn't be called a lame name like "Genesis".. They should atleast use numbers and letters, kind of like that XG350 thing they had going on.

Plus, hyundai has the WORST quality for paint I've ever seen.. Moms friend bought a brand new 04 sonata and in a year and a half the paint was down to its primer... she washed it once a week but never waxed.
Old 02-04-08, 09:41 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ninous26
Yeah, might be competition to people that are new in the market... But do you really think a yuppie is going to show up with the Genesis and say to his friends "hey guys! check out my new hyundai!!! its more spacious and powerful than your 7 series".. I mean come on, if they wanted it to be guranteed luxury it wouldn't be called a lame name like "Genesis".. They should atleast use numbers and letters, kind of like that XG350 thing they had going on.

Plus, hyundai has the WORST quality for paint I've ever seen.. Moms friend bought a brand new 04 sonata and in a year and a half the paint was down to its primer... she washed it once a week but never waxed.
IF i would ever decide to purchase this, I really wouldn't care what other people thought of it, the fact would still stand that it has more power AND more space ... Instead of bragging I would race them and surprise them then when they take a look at it they'd be like and say nothing else ... Now don't get me wrong, I would definitely rather have a BMW, Lexus or MB instead of a Hyundai, but you gotta admit it's an excellent deal for the price ...
Old 02-04-08, 10:09 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The coupe from my understanding, this coupe will have a multi-link rear suspension similar in design to the BMW 335. wow! The 300hp coupe looks stunning!
Attached Thumbnails Hyundai owning other car companies on TV-3-hyundai-genesis-coupe-concept.jpg  
Old 02-04-08, 10:12 AM
ninous26
Driver

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
IF i would ever decide to purchase this, I really wouldn't care what other people thought of it, the fact would still stand that it has more power AND more space ... Instead of bragging I would race them and surprise them then when they take a look at it they'd be like and say nothing else ... Now don't get me wrong, I would definitely rather have a BMW, Lexus or MB instead of a Hyundai, but you gotta admit it's an excellent deal for the price ...
For sure. Its an awesome deal for a car, but you either love it or hate it.. I really hate it though.. Not because its a hyundai, but because every single thing on that car is a copy from Lexus, acura, mercedes, bmw, and infiniti.. I also find the interior pretty ugly.. but hey, we all have different taste right?

I hate the car, but I love hyundai's marketing/ TV ads.
Old 02-04-08, 10:13 AM
ninous26
Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The coupe from my understanding, this coupe will have a multi-link rear suspension similar in design to the BMW 335. wow! The 300hp coupe looks stunning!
Thats not the Genesis coupe.. That was some other RWD hyundai that was supposed to take over the tiburon I think. HAWT nonetheless

Also that chick standing next to it is bangin!
Old 02-04-08, 11:09 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ninous26
Thats not the Genesis coupe.. That was some other RWD hyundai that was supposed to take over the tiburon I think. HAWT nonetheless

Also that chick standing next to it is bangin!
That is the Genesis coupe which is replacing the Tiburon.
Old 02-04-08, 11:13 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ I heard their planning on releasing a V8 version of the genesis Coupe too.
Old 02-04-08, 11:35 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I do believe Hyundai can and will elevate its image, just as we're talking about them right now. It will take time, yes, but I believe they will do it. They have their other brand Kia to remain more the bargain brand.
I agree that Hyundai has slowly but surely been improving its reputation in the auto industry. The Genesis definitely looks like an impressive car, especially for its price.

Quick Reply: Hyundai owning other car companies on TV