Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai owning other car companies on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08, 03:43 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ninous26
I'm sure lexus could tune that 460 to put out 375+.. but why would they want to offer the same amount of power as the LS?
Maybe the GS should continue to have MORE HP than the LS just like the 98-2005 model which the GS had 300HP while the LS had 290HP. I don't think that hurt the sales or image of the LS. The GS is the supposed to be the4 more sporty car of the line.
Old 02-07-08, 03:52 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Based on the premise above, I guess folks should avoid the Vette Zo6 because it is a Chevy and not a Caddy.
Why wouldn't they? It's the same reason I'll never consider a GT-R. Why would I want to deal with Nissan dealerships and Nissan salespeople when I am shelling out $70k (plus market adjustment, no less) for a car? That would be masochistic.

I liken it to service expectation at restaurants. Do I expect good service when I go to McD's, Applebee's, etc.? Of course not and even when it's bad I don't complain and tip normally. I do so because it's not only the status quo but more importantly the expectation. If I drop $300 per head on a meal at a Michelin-starred restaurant, then I expect near perfection in service. If I paid $300/head at Applebee's, I'd expect the same. But that's just not what happens with car dealerships.

Originally Posted by Olu
I do understand what AdrianXT is saying, but i wouldn't have expressed it that way. I couldn't care less what the status of the clients in the dealership. I DO care about how I'm treated. If I'm going to buy a luxury car, I like getting a loaner with no hassles, my option to have my car washed and cleaned after each service, a nice lounge with free coffee and food, staff that talk to you with respect..etc. That's the difference between companies that are exclusively luxury cars and ones that have a few expensive cars.
Yes, exactly. That's what I'm talking about. Just as an example, when my friend bought his Cayman, he got rid of his aging LS400 and got a new Honda Accord v6 as his daily driver. He was really looking for something reliable and not ostentatious that he could drive to work every day. And the Accord fit.

But man, every time he took the Honda in for service he would whine endlessly about how terrible the service was (especially how hard it was to schedule) and how brusquely he was treated by staff and even management. I mean, it's a top-of-the-line vehicle! He tried different dealerships with no improvement. As he said, the only consistency with Honda service was how rude they were. I could go on and on with his stories. Once you get used to Lexus treatment it's hard to go back.

Of course, all this said, a lot of people who buy a $30k Hyundai won't care about service because it'll probably be considered an upgrade.

Last edited by gengar; 02-07-08 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-08-08, 01:51 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
But man, every time he took the Honda in for service he would whine endlessly about how terrible the service was (especially how hard it was to schedule) and how brusquely he was treated by staff and even management. I mean, it's a top-of-the-line vehicle! He tried different dealerships with no improvement. As he said, the only consistency with Honda service was how rude they were. I could go on and on with his stories. Once you get used to Lexus treatment it's hard to go back.

Of course, all this said, a lot of people who buy a $30k Hyundai won't care about service because it'll probably be considered an upgrade.
Location location location. Okay, Generally higher end luxury car dealerships will treat you much better, but that is no guarantee. Our Lexus dealership treats us no different than the Toyota dealership. Seriously, the waiting room has no TV, has a Vending Machine, and a coffee maker. What is so great about that? When I take my car in for service, I still have to wait for the next available SA, then sit at his desk. No different than any other dealership I've been to. Not saying it is bad in any way, just nothing special. By the way, anyone actually have first hand experience with a Hyundai dealership yet? I haven't yet so I have no clue how they would treat me. I personally try and sped as little time at the dealership as possible, so as long as they check my car in in a timely manner, fix the problem, warranty the problem if qualifies, gives me a loaner or a ride to to work if I need it, I could give a rats behind about the TV, leather couch, or designer coffee machine.
Old 02-08-08, 06:51 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Location location location. Okay, Generally higher end luxury car dealerships will treat you much better, but that is no guarantee. Our Lexus dealership treats us no different than the Toyota dealership. Seriously, the waiting room has no TV, has a Vending Machine, and a coffee maker. What is so great about that? When I take my car in for service, I still have to wait for the next available SA, then sit at his desk. No different than any other dealership I've been to. Not saying it is bad in any way, just nothing special. By the way, anyone actually have first hand experience with a Hyundai dealership yet? I haven't yet so I have no clue how they would treat me. I personally try and sped as little time at the dealership as possible, so as long as they check my car in in a timely manner, fix the problem, warranty the problem if qualifies, gives me a loaner or a ride to to work if I need it, I could give a rats behind about the TV, leather couch, or designer coffee machine.
I think that has more to do with being in HI than anything else. Lexus dealerships have now invested over 1 billion in upgrades the last 5 years. Every dealership in Atlanta has been renovated.