Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai owning other car companies on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-08, 06:29 PM
ninous26
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyundai owning other car companies on TV

For a while now I've been seeing hyundai commercials puting down mercedes, BMW, lexus, accord, camry, and land rover.. These commercials are fun and witty. Kind of a weak way of getting customers but it works.
Old 02-03-08, 06:37 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

there genisis is going to have 375 hp, if i were lexus or any of those companies listed, i would be scared to, this could be a repeat of what lexus did back in the early 90's and if hyundia achieves what lexus did, luxurys german and japanese cars should be worried
Old 02-03-08, 06:41 PM
LexFather

Great superbowl ads, effective but not too boastful, IMO.

I really like the Genesis, it shakes things up.

Old 02-03-08, 06:43 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd93
there genisis is going to have 375 hp, if i were lexus or any of those companies listed, i would be scared to, this could be a repeat of what lexus did back in the early 90's and if hyundia achieves what lexus did, luxurys german and japanese cars should be worried
Before these companies get scared, the mighty hyundia should at least get enough respect that people would know how to spell the name of their company.
Old 02-03-08, 06:54 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^^^ woops idk if i did lol did i? o well
Old 02-03-08, 08:11 PM
Olu
Pole Position

Nice car. Actually beautiful car. Decent commercials. Bad business plan. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they should have spun off a luxury brand and called it Genesis. How many people are ready for a 30-40K Hyundai. They're going to run into the same problem as VW and it's Phaeton.

Beautifully engineered car with crappy service and dealerships.

You going to play with the big buys, you're going to have to treat the patrons properly.
Old 02-03-08, 08:43 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The ads were alright. My favorite is still the R8 one in the first quarter.
Old 02-03-08, 09:14 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Olu
Nice car. Actually beautiful car. Decent commercials. Bad business plan. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they should have spun off a luxury brand and called it Genesis. How many people are ready for a 30-40K Hyundai. They're going to run into the same problem as VW and it's Phaeton.

You going to play with the big buys, you're going to have to treat the patrons properly.
I doubt they will have quite as many problems selling as the Phaeton because it's going to be priced very well for what it is. That alone should keep them pretty busy.
Old 02-03-08, 09:28 PM
ninous26
Driver

Good comments.. I'm not only talking about superbowl ads.. I remember a commercial a long time ago about how they were comparing the sante fe vs. some landrover SUV.. The narrator said in a quick witty voice "the santa fe beat the land rover in everything except for the amount of cupholders" haha, that had me rolling!
Old 02-03-08, 09:48 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

These were great commercials as well (the Genesis commercials). I watched the game with my best friends and a bunch of his Acura co-workers. The "get the hell out of here!!", "thats unbelievable", "Whoa" comments from them were priceless. I dont think any one of them knew about this car. Total shock.
Old 02-03-08, 09:57 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

i think hyundai is doing big things but they definitely need a luxury brand! Nobody wants to put out 30-40k and the only answer they can give is hyundai when being asked what car they drive. The majority of ppl buying luxury cars arent just looking to get value and comfort. Their priority is brand image aka status symbol
Old 02-04-08, 12:02 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Olu

The Phaeton was well over 60K with some versions going for around 100K. The Genesis will not have anywhere near the same problem because it won't be priced anywhere near the Phaeton or its competitors. The Phaeton was commanding serious luxury car prices and was not all that much less then its rivals, Volkswagen vehicles are known for poor reliability and expensive maintanence, and the Phaeton was extremely heavy and felt sluggish and many did not think it was all that good looking and it looked more like a larger Passat. The Genesis is almost going to seem like a bargain you just can't refuse unless you want a prestigious brand and want to spend alot of money on your cars. The Genesis will be maybe 5-7 grand more then a loaded full size family sedan yet it will look much nicer, drive much nicer, be loaded with luxury features, rwd, and have a 375hp v8. It will offer most of the features of high end German sedans yet cost less then half of what they cost. If the cars is done right I can't see how this car will not succeed. It costs much less then what the average gas hogging large SUV costs or a loaded pickup costs and many Americans spend more then they should to buy those vehicles. I am sure if it is successful then Hyundai will establish a upmarket brand and sell more high end vehicles through it as they will need an upmarket brand if they plan on selling more expensive luxury vehicles.
Old 02-04-08, 06:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Well at least Hyundai put there name on it along with showing the vehicle unlike some of those early Infiniti ads where you had no idea what the ad was talking about.
Old 02-04-08, 06:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by maniax
i think hyundai is doing big things but they definitely need a luxury brand! Nobody wants to put out 30-40k and the only answer they can give is hyundai when being asked what car they drive. The majority of ppl buying luxury cars arent just looking to get value and comfort. Their priority is brand image aka status symbol
We had another thread on what a luxury car is. With so many cars with nice interiors and smooth powerful drivetrains are they all luxury cars or just kind of upscale normal ones? The latest loaded Accord is pretty darned nice for example! What about a loaded Avalon?

I do believe Hyundai can and will elevate its image, just as we're talking about them right now. It will take time, yes, but I believe they will do it. They have their other brand Kia to remain more the bargain brand.

I don't expect Hyundai to worry Rolls Royce any time but that's not their goal.

As people begin to see more cars like Genesis on the road they're initially going to say "THAT's a Hyundai? " and then after a while "yeah they make some nice vehicles" and then many will say "yeah I'm going to get one!"
Old 02-04-08, 06:42 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If their claims are true - 375 hp and more spacious than a BMW 7-series - then this is going to be a serious competitor and a nice a$$ car for a great price

Quick Reply: Hyundai owning other car companies on TV