Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tips For Pumping Gas - Good Info

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 05:48 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tips For Pumping Gas - Good Info

Got this email yesterday, it has some pretty good info on how to save some money at the pump and how to make your gas last a little longer ... Thought it would be a good idea to share with you guys since our cars inhale gas like crazy, Especially us guys with the V8 !!

Interesting information from a Gentleman in California

I've been in petroleum pipeline business for about 31 years, currently working for the Kinder-Morgan Pipeline here in San Jose, CA. We deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period from the pipe line; one day it's diesel, the next day it's jet fuel and gasoline. We have 34 storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons. Here are some tricks to help you get your money's worth:

1. Fill up your car or truck in the morning or at night when the temperature is still cool. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground; and the colder the ground, the denser the gasoline. When it gets warmer gasoline expands, so if you're filling up in the
afternoon or in the evening, what should be a gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business , the specific gravity and temperature of the fuel (gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products) are significant. Every truckload that we load is temperature-compensated so that the indicated gallonage is actually the amount pumped. A one-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for businesses, but service stations don't have temperature compensation at
their pumps.

2. If a tanker truck is filling the station's tank at the time you want to buy gas, do not fill up; most likely dirt and sludge in the tank is being stirred up when gas is being delivered, and you might be
transferring that dirt from the bottom of their tank into your car's tank.

3. Fill up when your gas tank is half-full (or half-empty), because the more gas you have in your tank the less air there is and gasoline evaporates rapidly, especially when it's warm. (Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating 'roof ' membrane to act as a barrier between the gas and the
atmosphere, thereby minimizing evaporation.)

4. If you look at the trigger you'll see that it has three delivery settings: slow, medium and high. When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to the high setting. You should be pumping at the slow setting, thereby minimizing vapors created while you are pumping. Hoses at the pump are corrugated; the corrugations act as a return path for vapor recovery from gas that already has been metered. If you are pumping at the high setting, the agitated gasoline contains
more vapor, which is being sucked back into the underground tank, so you're getting less gas for your money. Hope this will help ease your 'pain' at the pump.

5. Do not top off your gas tank, when the pump shuts off, do not keep trying to add more gas..................a friend who owns a gas station says that by doing th is, you are actually giving the next customer a $1.00 worth of gas. The gas you pump stays in the hose and never makes it to your tank...........good to know.
Old 02-04-08, 06:26 AM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Good info!

It's alway's good to here tips such as these.
Old 02-04-08, 07:01 AM
Drag On
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was expecting something stupid.

I was wrong. Thanks!
Old 02-04-08, 07:09 AM
MATEOGS
Driver

THANK YOU!! even though i only have the 300 i drive alot!!
Old 02-04-08, 07:35 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol yea when i first got this in my email I was like yea yea, i hear "tips" on how to save gas all the time ... But when i read this i was like damn I do everything wrong except #1 ... I DO fill up my tank at night (usually around midnight when I'm on my way home), but i also have filled up when the tanker was there pumping gas into the station, I always wait till my gas light comes on and the needle is on E to fill up, I ALWAYS have the gas pumping at full blast, and I ALWAYs try to top off the tank ...

- I need to re-think my strategies -

Last edited by TruPlaya26; 02-04-08 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-04-08, 07:37 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-04-08, 09:19 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow...

I should print this and tape it to my gasoline cap.
Old 02-04-08, 09:21 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was posted on the 2IS forum a while ago I believe and some of it was proven to be untrue and some were proven to be not worth the savings for all the effort needed to do.

Like for me, if I filled up when my gas tank is half way, i'd have to put gas every 2-3 days and that's just too time consuming for me.
Old 02-04-08, 09:23 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rfx45
This was posted on the 2IS forum a while ago I believe and some of it was proven to be untrue and some were proven to be not worth the savings for all the effort needed to do.

Like for me, if I filled up when my gas tank is half way, i'd have to put gas every 2-3 days and that's just too time consuming for me.
Maybe...

But I believe #2.
Old 02-04-08, 09:53 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

The rest of the tips were cool, but there is no way I'm pumping at the slow setting to save a few cents of gas. It already takes long enough to pump gas as it is, especially when you're paying in cash at a station that makes you pre-pay (I can't stand this!). If you give them a $20 the gas comes out fine for the first $19.50 and then the last $0.50 takes FOREVER to come out of the pump!
Old 02-04-08, 10:31 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

since when did pumps have a slow and fast setting? lol.
Old 02-04-08, 10:34 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the density of gasoline barely changes b/t night and day temperatures, I doubt it even matters, look into gasolines coefficient of expansion and I bet you it wont matter in the end

undetermined
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp
Old 02-04-08, 10:34 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
since when did pumps have a slow and fast setting? lol.

There's a trigger with 3 slits.
Old 02-04-08, 10:58 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ROFL i just copy/pasted this in a hawaii forum and they told me, 'this was spammed 2wks ago...'
Old 02-04-08, 11:12 AM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

@ costco the other day, saw the warning for #1, the gas is measured by cubic inch said no temp compensation and all that stuff (costco for the other cars, gs takes cheveron

Quick Reply: Tips For Pumping Gas - Good Info