Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus new compact SUV

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 01:24 PM
joshmtx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully not RAV4 copy at all... that's just cheap.

I think the X3 is a joke. Just get a 3 series AWD wagon.

How about a Lexus version of the Toyota Venza? How about a AC270h? With an exclusively plug-in hybrid powertrain. AC for Alternating Current, or whatever letters you want!

Lexus needs a hybrid halo vehicle, like the Prius. Something unique and immediately identifiable. This is a great opportunity!

P.S. Lexus, please let CALTY do the design.
Old 02-04-08, 01:30 PM
joshmtx
Rookie

"With the versatility of a luxury utility vehicle and the performance of a sport sedan, the Lexus LF-X is the intelligent evolution of the SUV. Powered by a 4.3-liter 300-horsepower [1] V8 engine, its athletic chassis is built for performance. The driver-oriented instrumentation evokes the luxurious comfort and sophistication of an executive jet. The well-planned interior features full-volume bucket seats in the first two rows, while a third-row seat specifically designed for children folds into the floor. "

I like the idea of that third row!
Old 02-04-08, 02:13 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joshmtx
Lexus needs a hybrid halo vehicle, like the Prius. Something unique and immediately identifiable. This is a great opportunity!
That's precisely what is supposed to be debuting a little less than a year from now, at the 2009 Detroit Auto Show.
Old 02-04-08, 03:58 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It's what I've been saying all along; as the RX keeps getting larger and larger with each restyling, there is more of a need for a Lexus SUV more the size of the RX300. The Honda CR-V is already much closer in size to the RX300 than is the RX350.
Old 02-04-08, 05:19 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

It's not like the RDX is selling in big numbers. With little competition in this class and still being quite new, the RDX sold only 1,483 units last month, down 17.5% compared to Jan. '07.

I just don't see the need for the RX to keep getting larger. The RX has sold so well without the need for a 3rd row. If they move the RX further up market, starting in the $40k range, I think they will lose more customers (RX customers that is) than they would gain. The MDX with it's three rows posted a sales decline while the aging RX still posted a gain last month.

There's a sizable amount of RX 300 owners who bought their RX's in the low to upper $30k. The thought of having to pay $10k more for a newer larger RX, probably wouldn't sit so well with them. A Lexus version of the RAV-4 is also very unappealing. AWD only would not be a benefit. You have a lot of areas in the country that wouldn't benefit from AWD, plus you would have to take the fuel economy hit that comes with AWD.

In the end, sure a baby Lexus SUV would probably easily outsell the EX and RDX, but how many RX sales would you lose in the process? In my opinion you would also dilute the brand equity with a Rav-4 based SUV. What's after that, a Corolla based Lexus to compete against the TSX?
Old 02-04-08, 05:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Why no pictures? None available?
Old 02-04-08, 05:42 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I remember reading something about it being available only in European and Japanese markets because the demand for such a vehicle is greater over there than here. It would be great if they did that and didnt bring it here.

I really dont like the idea one bit, but it could work here. They could make the new smaller model more car like and sport oriented and the RX more luxury oriented just like the IS and ES.
Old 02-04-08, 06:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why no pictures? None available?
No pics, there is no mule, nothing. Its still being thrown around Lexus management as a study.

Its not even the fact cute-utes sell well or do anything for image. It seems Lexus is thinking about doing it because "everyone else" is doing it.

Now from a "get em and keep em" standpoint, a 30k SUV gets people in the brand and hopefully they move to a RX/GX/LX etc and get a lexus car etc...

On the other hand, Lexus sells over 300k SUVs now and to enthusiasts, Lexus is made "fun" of b/c of their vast SUV offerings (which is a contradiction since everyone else now has 2,3,4 SUVs). A 30-35k Lexus SUV, if they had production capacity, and if it is the usual Lexus home-run, could produce what, another 50-100k vehicles a year?

The RX is the best selling luxury vehicle, nothing is close, 100k a year and as high as 120k in its best years (the 3 sells around 130-140k a year but that includes all varients). Do you cannibalize those sales for a new cute ute?

I still think they should leave this funny market alone and continue to invest in "F", "h" and MORE COUPES!!!!

Old 02-04-08, 10:02 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
I remember reading something about it being available only in European and Japanese markets because the demand for such a vehicle is greater over there than here. It would be great if they did that and didnt bring it here.

I really dont like the idea one bit, but it could work here. They could make the new smaller model more car like and sport oriented and the RX more luxury oriented just like the IS and ES.
Yeah that's an alternative.

Or take advantage and use the smaller models as a hybrid-only model.
Old 02-04-08, 10:41 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I still think they should leave this funny market alone and continue to invest in "F", "h" and MORE COUPES!!!!
Yes, invest the $$$ into the F division. People are jumping ship to the AMG and //M for more power-people will pay for it.

Oh, and please, no el cheapo cute ute mini RX.
That's what the rav-4 is for

Last edited by GS3Tek; 02-04-08 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-04-08, 10:48 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

bad bad move. Toyota should not be making an entry level cute ute of the Rav platform.
Old 02-05-08, 03:08 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lexus shouldn't be making any small SUV's, instead they should concentrate on making the new GX with a modern independent suspension. Solid rear axle these days is just embarassing.
Old 02-05-08, 07:02 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
It's not like the RDX is selling in big numbers. With little competition in this class and still being quite new, the RDX sold only 1,483 units last month, down 17.5% compared to Jan. '07.

I just don't see the need for the RX to keep getting larger. The RX has sold so well without the need for a 3rd row. If they move the RX further up market, starting in the $40k range, I think they will lose more customers (RX customers that is) than they would gain. The MDX with it's three rows posted a sales decline while the aging RX still posted a gain last month.

There's a sizable amount of RX 300 owners who bought their RX's in the low to upper $30k. The thought of having to pay $10k more for a newer larger RX, probably wouldn't sit so well with them. A Lexus version of the RAV-4 is also very unappealing. AWD only would not be a benefit. You have a lot of areas in the country that wouldn't benefit from AWD, plus you would have to take the fuel economy hit that comes with AWD.

In the end, sure a baby Lexus SUV would probably easily outsell the EX and RDX, but how many RX sales would you lose in the process? In my opinion you would also dilute the brand equity with a Rav-4 based SUV. What's after that, a Corolla based Lexus to compete against the TSX?
The Rav already does a better job than all those others CUVs out there, plus I really dont see the need for yet ANOTHER cuv/suv in the line up.
Old 02-05-08, 07:36 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yes, that's where they should put their money, coupes & higher end cars. If they make this small Lexus SUV, please let it stay out of N.America ...
Old 07-05-11, 12:49 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow CX300h

Last September, Toyota said the company would launch 6 new hybrids by the end of 2012.

Now, a report from the German car magazine AutoBild suggests that 1 of those is a new Lexus: a baby brother for the brand's hugely successful RX 450h hybrid crossover utility vehicle.

The new compact crossover, which AutoBild dubs the CX 300h, would be based on the Toyota RAV4--meaning it too might be built in North America, as the RAV4 is.

There's no current RAV4 hybrid model, although if the report on the Lexus CX 300h is true, a RAV4 Hybrid would make sense. A pair of compact hybrid crossovers would mimic the arrangement between the larger Lexus RX 450h and the Toyota Highlander Hybrid, which share their basic platforms as well.

On the RAV4 front, however, the company is expected to launch a fully electric conversion for sale next year. Engineered by Tesla and first unveiled at the 2010 Los Angeles Auto Show, the limited-production model is to be known as the 2012 Toyota RAV4 EV.

The Lexus CX 300h, if it appears, would compete directly with the smallest crossovers from other luxury brands, including the BMW X1, the upcoming Audi Q3, the Infiniti EX, and the Cadillac SRX.

Going out on a limb, we suspect that the powertrain for an upcoming CX 300h might be the larger 2.5-liter 4 used with the company's Hybrid Synergy Drive system in the Camry Hybrid and the notably unsuccessful HS 250h dedicated hybrid sedan.

A smaller hybrid crossover would play to Lexus's strength, as the RX crossover line continues to be its mainstay in the United States, its strongest global market. As of May, the RX line represented 45% of all Lexus vehicles sold in the U.S. this year.

Lexus clearly hopes to build on that success in a segment--compact luxury crossovers--in which it's been notably absent thus far.

To see AutoBild's rendering of what a Lexus CX 300h might look like, click on the link below.

http://www.autobild.de/bilder/bilder...693.html#bild1

Quick Reply: Lexus new compact SUV