Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus new compact SUV

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-11, 08:56 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. I'd consider the Venza (and a possible Lexus-version of it) a raised-suspension AWD wagon, like the Subaru Outback and Volvo XC70 Cross-Country (though, unlike Subies, some Venzas come in FWD). The RX350, as I see it, is more of a conventional higher-stance car-based SUV, not a wagon.
I think that there is too much of an overlap between the current Venza and RX; both are 5-passenger tall wagons/crossover utility vehicles available with optional AWD. There may be room for a Lexus version of the Venza if the RX were to move up in size to a 3-row 6- or 7-seat CUV.

I do like the idea of a compact, RAV4-based CUV for Lexus. It does not have to be as much like a SUV as the current RAV4; in fact, it would probably do much better as a compact tall wagon with available AWD (like a smaller Venza).
Old 07-08-11, 08:14 AM
wntrwhte
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The venza drives very much like a truck-- it's noisier, those giant wheels really don't help the ride. I'm not really sure I can envision a lexus version.

If lexus introduced something the size of the BMW X1 (not available here) Kia Sportage, etc, I would be the first in line saying "please take my money." These are very slightly smaller than the Rav4, which has a lot of details I wish they'd get rid of.
Old 07-08-11, 08:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by wntrwhte
The venza drives very much like a truck-- it's noisier, those giant wheels really don't help the ride.
I agree that those 19"-20" wheels s**k.......I've posted on that subject before. But Lexus doesn't have to adopt them if they do a version....they can use smaller, more sensible wheels and simply re-program the speedometer/odometer to compensate.
Old 07-08-11, 09:44 AM
wntrwhte
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, I've seen a venza with smaller wheels (18" with snow tires) and it looks silly because of the way they shaped the wheel well. They really designed it for those giant wheels which was pretty senseless on a 4wd vehicle.

But it looks cool I guess.
Old 07-08-11, 05:07 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The tires on the Highlander are the same circumference as those on the Venza; the 19" and 20" Venza wheels run on tires that are the same circumference and also the same circumference as the higher aspect ratio Highlander tires, so no speedometer changes are necessary. (That is an option for people shopping for winter tires for the Venza but want to stay away from the cost and the low aspect ratio of the 19" and 20" Venza wheel/tire combinations.)

So if you want a softer-riding Venza, you can try that.
Old 07-09-11, 10:13 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Lexus CX SUV based on RAV4 coming: rumour

Credit goes to VVTiBob for finding this one

Lexus CX SUV based on RAV4 coming: rumour

Lexus is reportedly thinking of introducing a compact SUV based on the Toyota RAV4. The model would be placed underneath the popular Lexus RX-Series SUV in terms of size and specification.

It is only early stages yet and details are kind of sketchy, but according to various international reports, the car – dubbed the Lexus CX – would be modelled on the current Lexus CT 200h and feature a jumped up SUV-like suspension layout.

The new model is also said to include some kind of hybrid powertrain, possibly coming from the Hybrid Camry. The Hybrid Camry’s powertrain consists of a Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive system incorporating a 2.4-litre four-cylinder petrol engine combined with an electric motor to provide an overall output of 110kW and 187Nm.

Reports suggest the first model to be introduced will be called the Lexus CX 300h, which will kick off the range in hybrid-only form. The CX is expected to sell in decent numbers, especially in the US where the small luxury SUV market is growing at a steady rate.

The Lexus CX would compete in the same market as the Audi Q3 and BMW X1/X3 and the Volvo XC60.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/127553/l...coming-rumour/
Old 07-10-11, 01:22 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

No more SUV's! There are way too many driving around.
Old 09-07-12, 02:29 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.theophiluschin.com/?p=3430

It looks pretty good!
Old 09-07-12, 03:00 PM
LexFather

From my understanding the name CX is nowhere on the table since Mazda currently uses that name for its SUVs.

Old 09-07-12, 04:00 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts
Default 2014 Lexus CX Spy Shots

A Lexus CX mule(?) has been spotted during hot weather testing in the desert. I'm not able to tell if it's a mule using 2014 RAV-4 parts or a prototype that's simply identical to it. Not only that, a few earlier testers that were presumed to be RAV-4 might have been the CX itself in testing. I think we've also seen this vehicle in a Lexus teaser back in January. Read below from Left Lane:

Spied: Lexus' smaller CX crossover
Our spies have just spotted what could be Lexus' Paris surprise – a smaller crossover to slot beneath the RX. Believed to be called the CX, the crossover's development appears to be somewhere between the mule and prototype stages, which could explain why the car might debut as a concept later this month in Paris.

Although the prototype may look like a Toyota RAV4 at first glance, the crossover's company indicates this vehicle is really a Lexus. The CX was caught testing alongside vehicles like the Land Rover Range Rover Evoque and Audi Q3.

Another indication of this vehicle's up-scale aspirations is the presence of a dual exhaust system – something not seen on a RAV4 ever before. The CX will likely be offered with a V6, but we also wouldn't rule out a more efficient four-cylinder.

According to previous reports the CX will hit the European market by the end of 2012 with a U.S. Launch set for 2013. Look for the CX to retail for around $30,000.

Attached Thumbnails Lexus new compact SUV-lexus-cx-1_1200.jpg   Lexus new compact SUV-lexus-cx-2_1200.jpg   Lexus new compact SUV-lexus-cx-3_1200.jpg   Lexus new compact SUV-lexus-cx-4_1200.jpg   Lexus new compact SUV-lexus-cx-7_1200.jpg  

Old 09-07-12, 04:05 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

YES!! Very excited to see this
Old 09-07-12, 04:07 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
From my understanding the name CX is nowhere on the table since Mazda currently uses that name for its SUVs.
Oops, I wish I read this before. We now have spy shots from LLN of it testing in the U.S. For some reason, I think we've already seen it testing this year and mistook it for a RAV-4. Not only that, it might have been very sneakily teased during LF-LC presentation in January. Here's one of them, but I posted the rest of them in the spy shots.

Old 09-07-12, 04:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

this is rav4... you can see it at front grille where lights are connected with horizonal chrome bar, like in new Auris...
Old 09-07-12, 04:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

you can see the front end being very similar...
Old 09-07-12, 04:17 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by spwolf
this is rav4... you can see it at front grille where lights are connected with horizonal chrome bar, like in new Auris...
You know what, that is true. It's definitely the U.S.-spec RAV-4, as that isn't even a spindle grille now that I notice it. Sorry everyone, it seems that I got the wrong info from Left Lane.

Quick Reply: Lexus new compact SUV