Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Caught using Radar Detector??

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-08, 02:05 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks...so it is worth to get radar detector...researching now to get the best deal...
Old 02-05-08, 02:22 AM
lexusrott
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by radicalrev
thanks...so it is worth to get radar detector...researching now to get the best deal...
Yes, it would be.
Old 02-05-08, 06:10 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I used radar detectors for years - several passports, and finally a V1. All were state of the art when purchased, but the V1 was without doubt the most useful simply because it pointed to the location of the signal. This is critical in knowing how to respond to the warning.

Old X-band radars used a relatively low frequency and thanks to their high output were often detectable miles away. More recent K-band units operate at higher frequencies and are less powerful, but still provide adequate warning of their presence. Instant-on radars, using K-band technology, can be a problem, but if you don't insist on leading the pack, someone else will usually cause the officer to trigger the unit and that burst of radiation is easily detectable (that's where the direction of the source is important).

Laser or "lidar" is another matter. So tight is its beam it does not often scatter to provide a warning to following traffic. While the V1 and other current detectors do a great job of sniffing out the laser beam, it does so only when the laser is focused on YOU. That squawk is telling you to reach for your wallet.

For that reason I never installed my V1 on my new RX back in 03 - it was too much trouble for the few good warnings I got. I learned to drive "under the radar", or inconspicuously so as not to draw attention to myself.
  • Choose your times and places to speed. Rocketing down a deserted freeway at 2am is guaranteed to earn you a ticket.
  • Stay out of the left lane as much as possible.
  • Pass cars doing the speed limit slowly so as not to stand out to a casual observer. There's a difference between "quick" and "fast" - quick drivers are smooth, never making it obvious that they are exceeding the limit.
  • Don't weave in and out of traffic or follow closely.
  • Watch the road ahead for obvious blind spots that could conceal a radar car.
  • There is safety in numbers, but don't lead the pack - find someone just 2% crazier than you and let him lead the way - and collect all the tickets.
  • Don't exceed the posted limit by more than 10-12 mph unless you are willing to shut off the stereo and focus intently on your driving. This helps with all of the above techniques and it limits the financial damages if you are caught.
Don't count on technology to save you. Radar detectors, even CB back in the day could save you plenty, but when failed, they did so spectacularly, Truckers are about the only remaining creatures who are willing to listen to cacophony of ignorance that pours out of the speakers, but rather than buy another rig, just follow a trucker. I hooked up behind a M.S. Carriers' semi out of Houston and flew to the far side of Baton Rouge before he turned south toward New Orleans. We never got under 75, and transited the long open stretches at nearly 90. My V1 chirped a time or two as the trucker slowed for two pretty well known speed traps - he was either warned by CB or knew that section of highway was often staked out by radar - as I did. My little dark green Civic was almost invisible on a dark night trailing in his wake, a perfect "stealth" vehicle at the time.

Does it work? I haven't had a ticket in ten years, so I must be doing something right.
Old 02-05-08, 06:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
There are detector companies that rebate your ticket fees for some period... here's one that does it for a year.
Rebating ticket fees is one thing. Rebating points, license suspensions, and higher insurance permuims is quite another matter.
Old 02-05-08, 07:48 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Rebating ticket fees is one thing. Rebating points, license suspensions, and higher insurance permuims is quite another matter.
Exactly! The cost of the ticket itself should be the least of your worries.

I'd be worried about any detector that makes the claim they'd pay the tickets. No detector company worth a salt would need to do that kind of marketing.
Old 02-05-08, 08:06 AM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

doing 80mph and still get caught?? btw u got caught because of the instant on right?? btw how much did the ticket cost you??
at 3am, it was more a of a deuce check (dui). I'm immune to tickets....
Old 02-05-08, 01:10 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Is there any radar detectors that pays for your ticket when you are using the detector?? Also does Valentine 1 Radar Detector 100% to detect police radar's and lasers?? Is there any story that people uses a radar detector but still gets caught??
Is there any assault rifle that goes to jail for you if you kill someone with it?

Don't think any radar co should be expected to reimburse you for breaking the law.

Last edited by tex2670; 02-05-08 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-05-08, 01:17 PM
lexusrott
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lil4X
I used radar detectors for years - several passports, and finally a V1. All were state of the art when purchased, but the V1 was without doubt the most useful simply because it pointed to the location of the signal. This is critical in knowing how to respond to the warning.

Old X-band radars used a relatively low frequency and thanks to their high output were often detectable miles away. More recent K-band units operate at higher frequencies and are less powerful, but still provide adequate warning of their presence. Instant-on radars, using K-band technology, can be a problem, but if you don't insist on leading the pack, someone else will usually cause the officer to trigger the unit and that burst of radiation is easily detectable (that's where the direction of the source is important).

Laser or "lidar" is another matter. So tight is its beam it does not often scatter to provide a warning to following traffic. While the V1 and other current detectors do a great job of sniffing out the laser beam, it does so only when the laser is focused on YOU. That squawk is telling you to reach for your wallet.

For that reason I never installed my V1 on my new RX back in 03 - it was too much trouble for the few good warnings I got. I learned to drive "under the radar", or inconspicuously so as not to draw attention to myself.
  • Choose your times and places to speed. Rocketing down a deserted freeway at 2am is guaranteed to earn you a ticket.
  • Stay out of the left lane as much as possible.
  • Pass cars doing the speed limit slowly so as not to stand out to a casual observer. There's a difference between "quick" and "fast" - quick drivers are smooth, never making it obvious that they are exceeding the limit.
  • Don't weave in and out of traffic or follow closely.
  • Watch the road ahead for obvious blind spots that could conceal a radar car.
  • There is safety in numbers, but don't lead the pack - find someone just 2% crazier than you and let him lead the way - and collect all the tickets.
  • Don't exceed the posted limit by more than 10-12 mph unless you are willing to shut off the stereo and focus intently on your driving. This helps with all of the above techniques and it limits the financial damages if you are caught.
Don't count on technology to save you. Radar detectors, even CB back in the day could save you plenty, but when failed, they did so spectacularly, Truckers are about the only remaining creatures who are willing to listen to cacophony of ignorance that pours out of the speakers, but rather than buy another rig, just follow a trucker. I hooked up behind a M.S. Carriers' semi out of Houston and flew to the far side of Baton Rouge before he turned south toward New Orleans. We never got under 75, and transited the long open stretches at nearly 90. My V1 chirped a time or two as the trucker slowed for two pretty well known speed traps - he was either warned by CB or knew that section of highway was often staked out by radar - as I did. My little dark green Civic was almost invisible on a dark night trailing in his wake, a perfect "stealth" vehicle at the time.

Does it work? I haven't had a ticket in ten years, so I must be doing something right.
Very good advice , thanks.
Old 02-05-08, 03:25 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for all of the advice...