Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Caught using Radar Detector??

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 05:49 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Caught using Radar Detector??

Is there any radar detectors that pays for your ticket when you are using the detector?? Also does Valentine 1 Radar Detector 100% to detect police radar's and lasers?? Is there any story that people uses a radar detector but still gets caught??
Old 02-04-08, 06:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

of course there are stories of getting caught. if cops paced them without using radar, or using instant on, you might not be able to slow down fast enough. would those companies pay for your tickets? i highly doubt that.

but bottom line is after using my v1 for 5 yrs, i have escaped so many times, sometimes i could have never seen those cops without the radar
Old 02-04-08, 06:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by radicalrev
Is there any radar detectors that pays for your ticket when you are using the detector??

Probably not in areas where detectors and use of those detectors are illegal.
Old 02-04-08, 07:02 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the v1 is 99.9% in detecting radar and probably a little bit less in detecting most laser. it WILL detect it. whether you get caught speeding and pulled over is a whole other matter. because there are many way to still get caught mostly having to do with radar/laser clocking your speed before you get a chance to slow down.

there was a company that would pay for your tickets but it was a scam. the fine print said it would pay for your tickets only (not court costs and other fees) and not those in a school zone or work zone. then this only counts for the first year after you get your RD. and finally some would only pay for tickets within 10mph of the psl. that's a scam.
Old 02-04-08, 07:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

There are detector companies that rebate your ticket fees for some period... here's one that does it for a year.

http://www.radarscramblers.com/product_C450.htm
Old 02-04-08, 07:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by radicalrev
Is there any radar detectors that pays for your ticket when you are using the detector?? Also does Valentine 1 Radar Detector 100% to detect police radar's and lasers?? Is there any story that people uses a radar detector but still gets caught??
This guy had to sell his detector to pay his ticket. He says it wasn't the detector's fault though.
http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/su...ay-ticket.html

No detector is 100% and laser detection is pretty worthless because by the time it's detected you're probably already screwed. The V-1 and Passports are all great, there's big fans of each. I have two Passports, an older 7500 and a newer Solo (battery power option) and love both of them.
Old 02-04-08, 08:02 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K40 offers to pay for your RADAR tickets if you get them while using their system. Their diffuser system is one of the best, if not THEE best, legal laser diffuser out there... but even as such... it's still a hit and miss.

http://www.k40.com
Old 02-04-08, 08:02 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

I have a Passport 8500x50 and I was driving through a tunnel where cops were doing laser, they pointed the laser directly at either me, or the car behind me, and the detector didn't even make a sound. It's pretty good at picking up radar but you're screwed if the cops are using laser
Old 02-04-08, 09:39 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

I was clocked by airplane in New Mexico. Radar detector can't do a damn thing for that!
Old 02-04-08, 10:35 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

woww...is it that bad?? i thought those detectors can detect lasers too?? and how did you get clocked? i thought the radar senses those areas that are being under surveillance??
Old 02-04-08, 10:55 PM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Radical, read my comments on the V1 in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=333450

You will see that V1 is great, unless you are hit with instant-on.
Old 02-04-08, 11:09 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

what are the hit with instant on??
Old 02-04-08, 11:20 PM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

Nothing is fool proof. Instant on is your biggest enemy. Learn to drive to anticipate instant ons (leave cars ahead of you...if you're alone and jamming on it, slow down for on ramps and blind curves...just common sense). In my 6 years with the V1, I got pulled over once for speed at 3am, on a deserted part of the 101, alone, doing 80mph.
Old 02-04-08, 11:43 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

doing 80mph and still get caught?? btw u got caught because of the instant on right?? btw how much did the ticket cost you??
Old 02-05-08, 12:28 AM
lexusrott
Pole Position

My two speeding tickets the last three years are solely my fault , both times were within 20 miles from home and my Passport was turn off. " Alejandro Dumas " ( dumb-a** )
For the first ticket I did not went to traffic school , but the second I decided to go to school being that it would have cost me 4 points and the very large fine which is non-refundable.
This particular radar detector Solo, has save me of many more tickets, my senses are kept at high concentration level I am always aware of where I am. ( except when I'm close to home ) I think I learn a lesson. Always ON.
In the State of Florida Interstate Highway Systems like I-75 and I-95 and the Turnpike speed limit is 70 mph I normally travel at 80 and a few cases at 85 or 90 only when their is no road congestion.
Lots of roads in Florida are under siege ( construction ), if you get a speeding ticket in this zones your are SOL, because the fines are double. Points and $$$.

Quick Reply: Caught using Radar Detector??