Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Baby Cadillac is the ATS

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 06:26 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default New Baby Cadillac is the ATS

Cadillac knows its future lies in small cars, especially if it wants to be considered a global player, but for now officials are being coy about what they have in store. What we do know is that Cadillac will be replacing the poor selling BLS range with a new model around 2010. This won’t be the new RWD baby Caddy that’s been hyped in recent months but will instead be a low cost model based on GM’s Epsilon II architecture, and could potentially be built in the U.S. or Mexico. Unlike the current Europe-only model, the next-gen version will be a global model according to GM product czar Bob Lutz.

Following the launch of the new BLS will be the Mexican-built BRX midsized crossover also due in 2010 as well as the replacement for the STS. One year later will see the launch of the larger SRX crossover and next-gen Escalade SUV. Officials are doubtful of a replacement for the XLR luxury sports convertible but the option hasn’t been ruled out.

The car on everybody’s lips, however, is the new Alpha-based Cadillac 1-series rival. Likely to be called the ‘ATS,’ the entry-level Cadillac is scheduled to arrive in late 2011 and will feature a RWD powertrain developed by Holden. The platform was first displayed in the Torana Concept (pictured) by the Aussie division back in 2004. Speaking with GoAuto, Bob Lutz described the car as being “about the size of a BMW 1 Series – maybe just a tiny bit bigger to enable larger wheels.” He was also quick to note that design work and engineering are still in the early stages as developers are waiting to see how the new CAFE standards pan out.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/n...ats/#more-4613
Old 02-04-08, 06:33 PM
LexFather

I liked Caddy with names and Lincoln with names and Acura with names..ATS reminds me of ATM.

Hell ATS is the American Thoracic Society

However, it makes sense. IMO, the CTS is truly blurring the line between entry level and midsize. Maybe Caddy will move it to a true mid level next gen, then have the ATS as the entry level and then DTS/STS as a true flagship instead of whatever they are now.

Old 02-04-08, 07:52 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I miss the names. Too many companies are playing this letter/number game.
Old 02-04-08, 07:54 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Bring back the names when they actually meant something! No one is going to remember ATS 20 years down the line.
Old 02-05-08, 09:54 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stated a couple weeks back that a small sport sedan would be good for Cadillac as they don't have anything competing against the 3/IS/C classes and also their CTS is almost in the same class pricing wise as the 3/IS/C classes.
Old 02-05-08, 12:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I liked Caddy with names and Lincoln with names and Acura with names..ATS reminds me of ATM.
That's the idea. They want it to generate some cash.
Old 02-05-08, 01:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Bring back the names when they actually meant something! No one is going to remember ATS 20 years down the line.
Well, as far as 20 years goes, we still remember the awful, POS Cadillacs of the 1980's that DID have names.....the wimpy, grossly underpowered Cimarron, droop-trunk Seville, lousy DeVilles that rattled, squeaked, and fell apart, the 2-seat Allante that also fell apart, the unreliable V8-6-4, the even more unreliable diesel 350 V8, etc.....

Believe me, I remember those cars well......and the nice, well-done Cadillacs long before them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-05-08 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-05-08, 01:11 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

i think a lot of times due to the germans people associate luxury and upper-echelon with alphanumeric naming of their cars.

the C-Class, 3-series, the A4

now the ATS. wtf is ATS. i mean i could argue that the CTS "Compact Touring Sedan" or something, but ATS?
Old 01-29-10, 05:43 PM
LexFather

http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-e...r-flavors.html

The Cadillac CTS may be priced along the same lines as the BMW 3-Series, but the four-door Caddy is actually more in line – in terms of size – with BMW’s 5-Series. As such, General Motors’ luxury division is readying a true entry-level model, with new details on the project surfacing on Thursday.

Believed to be based on GM’s long-rumored rear-wheel drive Alpha platform, the ATS is being designed as a direct competitor to vehicles like the BMW 3-Series and Audi A4. Powertrains for the new model remain unknown, but a new report has shed some light on what body styles the ATS will be available in.
“We’re finalizing the four-door showcar of the ATS first,” an inside source told Inside Line. “Then we’ll follow quickly after with a wagon, a coupe and a convertible.”
Moreover, it sounds as if all four body styles have a real chance of making production. In fact, Cadillac engineers are currently deciding if the convertible variant should have a hard or soft-top. In all likelihood, the convertible will feature a conventional rag top for weight and space issues.
A concept version of the Cadillac ATS will be completed in the coming months, with the entry-level sedan expected to make its world debut at the 2010 Los Angeles Auto Show.

Old 10-28-10, 01:51 PM
rotaryrock
Pole Position

Arrow Cadillac ATS (3-series, A4, IS350, C-class fighte) spied doing first platform testing

via http://www.atsforums.com/forums

GM has announced this morning its plan to produce the Cadillac ATS at its Grand River Assembly Plant in Lansing, MI and a $190M investment to go along with it.

Good timing then that an early prototype of the Cadillac ATS was just spied. Using a Cadillac CTS body shell for disguise, this ATS rides on the smaller Alpha platform and as clearly seen, the front and rear axles have been moved towards the middle of the chassis on this mule. The fuel filler door has also been moved towards the center by several inches.

Where this car differs from the others already spied is the presence of dual exhaust tailpipes. Previously spotted mules have only had a single exhaust. The dual exhaust likely indicates a 6 cylinder engine under the hood.

Riding on GM's new Alpha chassis, the ATS has been described as a smaller CTS-like vehicle. GM intends it to be a true competitor to the BMW 3-series, Audi A4, and Mercedes Benz C-Class.

Powertrain-wise, the ATS is speculated to get GM's 2.0L turbo-charged 4-cylinder. The 3.0L V6 or the 3.6L V6 (or maybe both) should also find its way into the ATS.

It's also speculated that the Cadillac ATS sedan is slated to start in July of 2012, followed by the coupe in July of 2013. If we had to guess, we'd put the pricing in the high 20's to low-mid 30-thousand range.
Photos:
http://www.atsforums.com/forums/show...t-Car-Spy-Pics
Old 10-28-10, 02:22 PM
LexFather

THanks for the update dude.

Old 10-28-10, 06:10 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I would take this car with AWD, a 6MT, a 2.0L turbo, and how bout GM's Li-Ion mild hybrid setup that is supposed to be good for at least 5 MPG. Talk about a sweet ride.
Old 10-28-10, 06:41 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Yes, Cadillac needs to return to names and not letter designation for their cars. DTS, CTS, CUV, SUV, IOU, IDK. What the heck?
Old 10-28-10, 07:24 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if i am following the pattern of product updates and public statements from gm correctly, the next news release will be that the ATS will be available for purchase sometime in late 2016
Old 10-29-10, 09:01 AM
rotaryrock
Pole Position

Here's a timeline for the ATS/ATS-V - http://www.atsforums.com/forums/show...owertrain-Info

* sedan (confirmed) - Fall 2012 (2013 model)
* coupe (confirmed) - nine months after sedan in 2013 (2014 model)
* convertible - nine months after coupe (2014.5 model)
* ATS-V - 2015
* wagon (?)
* hybrid version (two-mode hybrid)

Quick Reply: New Baby Cadillac is the ATS