Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ex-chairman of Shell says cars getting less than 35mpg should be banned from EU roads

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 06:35 PM
LexFather

Exclamation Ex-chairman of Shell says cars getting less than 35mpg should be banned from EU roads

But Sir Mark said this simply let rich people avoid taking responsibility for tackling climate change.

Expanding on the views he expressed in a BBC News website Green Room opinion column, Sir Mark said: "Nobody needs a car that does 10-15mpg.

"We need very tough regulation saying that you can't drive or build something less than a certain standard. You would be allowed to drive an Aston Martin - but only if it did 50-60mpg."

Sir Mark's rule would apply only to new cars. Eventually, old polluting cars would die quietly of their own accord.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7225451.stm

Old 02-04-08, 06:38 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh now he says that...
Old 02-04-08, 10:00 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Such comments from a leading industrialist will make an impact on the current European debate in which German car-makers are fighting to avoid being punished for continuing to build heavy cars.

They say jobs are at risk if they have to change their models. "

but apparently it's ok to continue introducing new SUV models rather than changing existing ones.
Old 02-04-08, 11:25 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
But Sir Mark said this simply let rich people avoid taking responsibility for tackling climate change.
And why should rich people, much less any person, take responsibility for "climate change"?
Old 02-05-08, 09:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

How about if this guy comes up with a way to make better burning gas, something of which I could really use where I am living.
Old 02-05-08, 05:41 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^^^ i like that idea more
Old 02-07-08, 12:08 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
And why should rich people, much less any person, take responsibility for "climate change"?

I think Sir Mark means that rich people shouldn't have to ignore reponsibility and should bear as much as the working class or the lower class.
Old 02-07-08, 01:34 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I think Sir Mark means that rich people shouldn't have to ignore reponsibility and should bear as much as the working class or the lower class.
I know exactly what he meant - the same type of selfish, self-loathing rant against the rich. The problem, as I pointed out earlier, is why anyone should bear responsibility for the ideas put forth by people like him who have too much money and too much free time that they have to worry about myths like "global warming".

What's really over the top, as mentioned previously, is the fact that this is a guy who made millions every year as the chairman of Shell. His cumulative career earnings from Shell (including stock options, etc.) has been estimated at deep into eight figures. But of course now that he's retired he wants to spout all the hot air he can. His "change of heart" should be censured if not ridiculed.

Last edited by gengar; 02-07-08 at 02:10 AM.
Old 02-07-08, 01:42 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

If I paid that much per litre of petrol you wouldn't have to ask...........