Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports: CTS outscores 3er/Cclass, Malibu excellent

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 07:10 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Consumer Reports: CTS outscores 3er/Cclass, Malibu excellent

http://www.thecarconnection.com/blog/?p=760

Conventional wisdom seems to be falling by the wayside, these days, especially when it comes to the established order among automotive nameplates. As TheCarConnection.com previously reported, Nissan’s Altima pulled an unexpected win over the well-entrenched Honda Accord, in the most recent Consumer Reports list of affordable midsize sedans.

Now comes an even bigger surprise from the influential CR: in an equally noteworthy upset, Cadillac’s second-generation CTS sedan has whupped both the benchmark BMW 328i, as well as the recently redesigned Mercedes-Benz C300 in the magazine’s list of upscale sports sedans. Among a tough, competitive field, CTS was the only model to win an “Excellent” ranking.

“The Cadillac CTS now competes toe-to-toe with some of the best German and Japanese sport sedans,” explained David Champion, Consumer Reports’ senior director of automotive testing. “There are more safety features and interior amenities in the new model. Fit and finish is greatly improved, and the interior is much more pleasant than in the previous generation.”

While the folks at General Motors headquarters, in the Detroit Renaissance Center, may be cheering, they’re not entirely surprised. CTS also won the coveted Motor Trend Car of the Year trophy, late last year, and it was the first runner-up in the closely watched balloting by 45 North American auto writers. In the end, however, honors as the North American Car of the Year went to CTS’s sibling, the latest-generation Chevrolet Malibu. (The shot below captures a beaming Chevy General Manager Ed Peper collecting his NACTOY award.

Not-so-coincidentally, Consumer Reports announced that it has given an “Excellent” rating to the Malibu, as well, both in inline-4 and V-6 trim. In its “Auto Test Extra,” CR proclaimed, “The redesigned Malibu now ranks among the best family sedans in CR’s ratings, just below the Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, and Toyota Camry.”

Chevrolet Malibu, Mazda CX-9 Grab Car/Truck-of-the-Year kudos. Malibu marks big GM comeback while Mazda stakes out a position in the truck market. Sunday, January 13th, 2008
Old 02-04-08, 07:30 PM
LexFather

CTS is the real deal, I need to get my behind to drive it....

Old 02-05-08, 07:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I have reviewewd both the new CTS and Malibu, and really found little to complain about on them, other than the somewhat thin, tinny doors that all new vehicles seem to be getting.

CTS is the real deal, I need to get my behind to drive it....
Yes, Mike, go drive a CTS.......preferably the 3.6 DI model. I'm anxious to see your opinion of it compared to mine, and that of the Malibu as well.

The article says the CTS, though, "whipped" the BMW 328. I don't totally agree. Though the CTS interior and fit/finish is now quite impressive, nobody, yet, has come up with a better chassis and steering than BMW.......IMO the 3-series is still the Drivers' Car.