Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 RL - disapointment

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-08, 12:35 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is what happens when Acura uses Honda (esp Civic) bloggers for design opinions...
Old 02-06-08, 12:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
This is what happens when Acura uses Honda (esp Civic) bloggers for design opinions...
How do you know that was the case?

The posted article and pictures, yes, were off of a talk-forum, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they had major input into the design decisions.
Old 02-06-08, 12:52 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is horrible.
The grill especially.
Old 02-06-08, 12:57 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You and I may just have to agree to disagree on that one. I still think Audi had a good thing going with the old grilles and then screwed them up......just like Chris Bangle did with a number of features on newer BMWs.
If Audi hadn't changed, their designs would have looked highly dated by now. Change is always hard to accept, especially in design. But over time, we can see where some of the truely creative designers were going with their designs. Audi's grill which stuck out like a sore thumb to me in the past makes all the sense in the world now. It's very bold and truely different. No one else has that grill. That's one way to establish brand identity.

With BMW, what Bangle has done is turn the industry upside down. I was one of those people who actually signed the petition to get rid of Bangle. Not anymore. It's people like him who keep designs evolving to the next level and moving us forward.

Elements of his designs have been absorbed by several other car companies, including Lexus. I hope Bangle gets even more aggressive in the future. One criticism that I've had about Lexus in the past is that their design have always been derivative. It still remains the same. I hope that Lexus gets someone like Bangle in the future to do something truely different and innovative.
Old 02-06-08, 01:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rosskoss
If Audi hadn't changed, their designs would have looked highly dated by now. Change is always hard to accept, especially in design. But over time, we can see where some of the truely creative designers were going with their designs. Audi's grill which stuck out like a sore thumb to me in the past makes all the sense in the world now. It's very bold and truely different. No one else has that grill. That's one way to establish brand identity.

With BMW, what Bangle has done is turn the industry upside down. I was one of those people who actually signed the petition to get rid of Bangle. Not anymore. It's people like him who keep designs evolving to the next level and moving us forward.

Elements of his designs have been absorbed by several other car companies, including Lexus. I hope Bangle gets even more aggressive in the future. One criticism that I've had about Lexus in the past is that their design have always been derivative. It still remains the same. I hope that Lexus gets someone like Bangle in the future to do something truely different and innovative.
I understand your point, but going "forward" sometimes means actually going in reverse. I am not against change either, but only when change makes sense. I-Drive, for example, and the similiar Audi MMI, only made simple, easy stereo/climate-control functions needlessly complex and hazardous by making the driver take his eyes off the road much longer. Other "changes" are not necesarily for the betterment of the vehicle but just for cost-cutting and the bean counters. We are seeing this lately with a number of new vehicles in tinny, lightweight doors, sheet metal, and hardware.

I'm with you that some changes were necessary......especially with the adoption of electronic engine controls, clearcoat paint, more transmission gears, car-based AWD, and disc brakes. But we may have gotten past the point where we have made the NECESSARY changes and are now just making them for changes' sake.

Anyhow, let's get back to the new RL.................

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-06-08 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-06-08, 01:23 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to pile on, but gotta agree with most everyone here. That RL looks very bad. The RL may have a class leading interior but it's way down the list in terms of prestige, and in this class of vehicles, prestige sells a lot more than class leading interior does.
Old 02-06-08, 01:24 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

the head lights and the back look ok, the rims need to be changed, the old one's were better, and the grill AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH it isn't good
Old 02-06-08, 01:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
in this class of vehicles, prestige sells a lot more than class leading interior does.
Yes, but that is because a lot of people don't THINK. The wise person looks at the car and judges it, not by the nameplate or logo, but by what it actually gives you for the money. That's what I try to do, for example, in my auto reviews.
Old 02-06-08, 01:32 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

uglified accord. period. sayonara Acura!
Old 02-06-08, 02:28 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I always thought the current RL looks alright nothing special but it was alright. Now it looks bleh. Infiniti and Lexus must be laughing.

Last edited by LexusChris; 02-06-08 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-06-08, 02:46 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

WOW thats UGLY are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!!! They totally f***ed this car up!!!!!!! BIG
Old 02-06-08, 02:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusChris
I always thought the current RL looks alright nothing special but it was alright. Now it looks bleh. Infiniti and Lexus must be laughing.
i agree, it's an alright car, until you hear that it's supposed to be a flagship
Old 02-06-08, 02:55 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

acura is now officially banished to 3rd tier status.

all that chrome looks tacked on like an afterthought.

a car that costs 40000$, but looks like a $20000.

Old 02-06-08, 02:59 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking that this version of the RL will not age well...much like some Mercedes out there...
Old 02-06-08, 03:17 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
acura is now officially banished to 3rd tier status.

all that chrome looks tacked on like an afterthought.

a car that costs 40000$, but looks like a $20000.

Word for word my thoughts...

Quick Reply: 2009 RL - disapointment