Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 RL - disapointment

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-08, 08:00 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think honda doesnt want to sell anymore RL! this car is absolutely hideous. I think this car beat the Aztak.
Old 02-06-08, 08:08 PM
ninous26
Driver

Oh no Honda what have you done? I actually feel like ***** because that thing is so bad. Acura is just taking a nose dive. I never in my life thought that I would be saying this but, Acura sucks.
Old 02-06-08, 08:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Note to self: start working on an after market grill for the '09 RL.
Old 02-06-08, 08:35 PM
LexFather

I say either just get rid of the brand and stop crapping on Honda/Acura faithful or get rid of EVERYONE there pretty much.

Having looked around other auto forums, it is RARE so much universal agreement is made this "re-fresh" is horrific. Acura Aztek has been said a few times.

Its sad reading how just drained and disgusted the Honda guys are, they are losing tons of customers, especially those that want to move up or stay with the brand.
"According to Honda Sales EVP **** Colliver, the face being shown on this car will spread to the rest of the lineup as the TL and TSX sedans are redesigned later this year"
You would think Infiniti or Saab or Caddy hired their designers. With the new TSX looking pretty much like old and the odd SUVs, its pretty sad...

http://blogs.motortrend.com/6229227/...ove/index.html
Bring these guys back....

Old 02-06-08, 08:53 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this thing looks like it came out of the early 90's.

get the crash cart.
acura needs resuscitation, especially after the pontiac ***-tech features trickle down to the next TL and tsx.

who the funk thought about putting thin chrome strips at the base of the doors?!

i don't think any grille can save this.
look, even with the thing blacked out, you just can't imagine anything pretty enough to fill that hole.
Attached Thumbnails 2009 RL - disapointment-09acurarl_front_s_dw.jpg  

Last edited by dunnojack; 02-06-08 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-06-08, 09:01 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

They even added the TL's front lower bumper design.
Old 02-06-08, 09:04 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

besides the grill this car would honestly be a good accord or what the accord should have been (not a fan of the current accord). or any mid-level car that is (a good replacement to the tl or tsx), but as a luxury flagship then its not worth it. not saying this isnt a bad looking car, but i expect more coming from a luxo flagship.
Old 02-06-08, 09:15 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mixed news that the grille is going on every Acura if it looks like that. However, maybe they will do a u-turn like Subaru apparently did (?) with their attempted Alfa-type grille.
Old 02-06-08, 09:23 PM
LexFather

I guess I sound angry b/c well, I was a HUGE Acura fan in the 1990s, I ALMOST bought a 2.2 CL and thought about the 2.5 TL. I LOVED (still do) the Legend. I would LOVE to have a NSX. The quad headlamp Integra was SUPERB.

They have turned the brand into nothing more than Accords and 2 odd SUVs.

Mind you 2nd gen RL debuted BEFORE the Lexus GS and M35/45 yet had a refresh AFTER those 2.

Honda used to be the engine company. What the HELL are they thinking with that weak all-new V-6. Did they miss the memo where the Infiniti G37 has 330hp (and that engine will go in other INifniti's) with the SAME displacement.

Lets see here
Acura 3.7 300hp
Infiniti 3.7 330hp 10 best engine
BMW 3.0 tt 300hp but might as well be 350 10 best engine
Lexus 3.5 dual vvti 303 or 306hp 10 best engine
Caddy 3.6 DI 304 hp

Are they in limbo? They continue to make the interior a BEST BUY with live Nav yadda yadda and well that is all OUTSOURCED!!

The poor Acura/Honda guys have gotten ragged for no RWD, bland styling, weird styling, no V-8 and more than anything their FLAGSHIP, the SUPREME HONDA/ACURA since 2005 has been a dud.

Honda HAS to know this just by reading the internet let alone sales figures. They promise a BIG refresh.

This is THEIR HALO CAR, the BEST THEY CAN DO.

And this is the best they can do?

Old 02-06-08, 09:25 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Why doesnt Acura get it!? I think Acura is the most stubborn car company in the whole world!!! they sold less than 7000 RL last year and they should know why they are not selling. they need real V8 and RWD in the flag ship sedan.
Old 02-06-08, 10:30 PM
ninous26
Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Note to self: start working on an after market grill for the '09 RL.
Nah, don't lower yourself to their level bro.. Besides, WHO THE **** would buy that POS?

I can't beleive this! I used to be SO biased towards Acura, but wow.. just wow.

I agree 100% with 1Sicklex.

I'm no longer an acura fan.. just a legend/NSX fan
Old 02-06-08, 10:45 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"According to Honda Sales EVP **** Colliver, the face being shown on this car will spread to the rest of the lineup as the TL and TSX sedans are redesigned later this year"
Good grief! That's like a kick in the nuts to Acura........from itself.
Old 02-06-08, 11:30 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i like it.
Old 02-07-08, 12:57 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I too like the current model much better. The only thing I like better on the new exterior might be the front headlights. the grill is absolute crap. I usually don't care much since you can change the grill with an aftermarket one, but still, what designer thought that was a good looking design? Probably those two LA Design Studio morons that designed the AASCC.
Old 02-07-08, 02:02 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

It is not getting too much love on the internet but I have a feeling it will boost sales because there are some pretty good improvements to the car interior, technology, and performance wise. If you go to TOV and click on the introduction their is a video of a couple RLs driving to be presented on the turntable and it does look better on video, from some angles I was liking the rear taillight treatment. I will reserve final judgement until I see the car in person because I have a feeling it will look much better in person. I doubt they would okay a universally ugly design especially when they are trying to improve sales. I want to read what the car mags say after reviewing the car and if it is more of a drivers car. It is funny how the RL has what many agree to be the nicest interior in its class made even nicer with this new refresh which is extremely important to luxury buyers but the exterior is so polarizing. I just hope the TSX and TL do not resemble this car and they quickly change that grill treatment if it does. What happend to the universally liked Sports 4 concept, this is where they should have gotton most of their inspiration from as that concept was gorgeous. If they just stuck a slightly revised MDX grill on the new RL it would have looked much better. If the grill gets enough bad press it actaully is not very hard to change the look of it as it is just a plastic peice that is clipped on and easily changed.

Quick Reply: 2009 RL - disapointment