Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 RL - disapointment

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08, 06:48 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ninous26
I disagree.. I think every accord coupe made is sexy.. Especially the new ones. The only sedan accords I dislike are the current gen and the 98-02 accords.

This is not sexy to me

The design is completely disjointed. The front up to the windshield looks it belongs to one car, the greenhouse looks like it came from a totally different car, the overhang is too long, the crease along the side and bottom of the door (which look awesome in the TL) are out of place here and the rear juts out at an awkward angle.

It has bits and pieces that make sense and the car looks nice from certain angles. But as a whole, to me, the car does not symbolize design excellence.
Old 02-07-08, 06:56 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AJL0365
I think the current RL was a pretty hott looking car, especially from the rear. I think this RL from some show looks hott, I kinda like the big grill, kinda dont but I will still drive this
This version doesn't look as bad.
Old 02-08-08, 12:36 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by rosskoss
This is not sexy to me

The design is completely disjointed. The front up to the windshield looks it belongs to one car, the greenhouse looks like it came from a totally different car, the overhang is too long, the crease along the side and bottom of the door (which look awesome in the TL) are out of place here and the rear juts out at an awkward angle.

It has bits and pieces that make sense and the car looks nice from certain angles. But as a whole, to me, the car does not symbolize design excellence.
The somewhat odd hoodline is because the new Accord complies with newer pedestrian crash standards, alot of companies are going to have to start to compromise on their vehicles looks/design to meet these standards/regulations in the future.
Old 02-08-08, 12:39 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJL0365
I think the current RL was a pretty hott looking car, especially from the rear. I think this RL from some show looks hott, I kinda like the big grill, kinda dont but I will still drive this
I think that is the A spec RL that had a even more gorgeous interior with light birds eye maple wood and two toned dash with baseball glove stitching of the seats. I am not sure if that is the model they stuffed a v8 into but there was a RL going around that had a high hp v8, not sure if it was this one though.
Old 02-08-08, 07:23 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UDel
I think that is the A spec RL that had a even more gorgeous interior with light birds eye maple wood and two toned dash with baseball glove stitching of the seats. I am not sure if that is the model they stuffed a v8 into but there was a RL going around that had a high hp v8, not sure if it was this one though.
That was the Mugen Legend Max.
http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=319284
Old 02-08-08, 08:34 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I the only one that thought the previous gen RL was a disspointment? Hell, haven't all RLs been disappointing?
Old 02-08-08, 08:40 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by shern
Am I the only one that thought the previous gen RL was a disspointment? Hell, haven't all RLs been disappointing?
Yes since 1996, that would be 13 years of failure.

Old 02-08-08, 09:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yes since 1996, that would be 13 years of failure.
yup, same here. i don't have feeling on the RL ever. legend, i have tons of props on, RL, never
Old 02-08-08, 11:11 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koma
Thanks, that is it but I don't think the Mugen had the light birds eye maple.
Old 02-08-08, 03:29 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I can't believe it. The 2009 RL looks horrible .

Honda had a huge chance to do a great refresh on the RL and they really messed it up. Even the 3.7L is barely an improvement over the 3.5L V6 that was there previously. As already pointed out, the 3.7L can't compete with premium V6 engines from others like Lexus or Infiniti.

Acura really seems to be a mess right now, and Honda in general seems to have a problem. The new Pilot concept has received a negative reaction from the press and a mediocre reaction from consumers at the show. The new Accord seems to be stumbling sales-wise and hasn't even fazed Camry sales.

If this refreshed RL indicates the future styling of other Acura products, then things don't look good at all. The 2008 GS MCE seems like a masterpiece compared to this RL MCE.
Old 02-08-08, 03:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The only good thing about the previous gen RL, 1996-2005 model, is that it can be picked up dirt cheap, sort of like the Q45. They aren't bad cars, and for the money they are a steal.
Old 02-08-08, 05:11 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great. Acura just americanized the styling of the new RL (just like they did with the 06+ Accord and its LEDs. Now non-car buffs will think it's a Chrysler at the front and a Ford at the back (think Five hundred)
Old 02-08-08, 05:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Wow, I can't believe it. The 2009 RL looks horrible .

Honda had a huge chance to do a great refresh on the RL and they really messed it up. Even the 3.7L is barely an improvement over the 3.5L V6 that was there previously. As already pointed out, the 3.7L can't compete with premium V6 engines from others like Lexus or Infiniti.

Acura really seems to be a mess right now, and Honda in general seems to have a problem. The new Pilot concept has received a negative reaction from the press and a mediocre reaction from consumers at the show. The new Accord seems to be stumbling sales-wise and hasn't even fazed Camry sales.

If this refreshed RL indicates the future styling of other Acura products, then things don't look good at all. The 2008 GS MCE seems like a masterpiece compared to this RL MCE.
Don't forget the NSX concept that got laughed at and current NSX owners threw rocks at it and got in line to buy the LF-A...

Old 02-08-08, 10:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The only good thing about the previous gen RL, 1996-2005 model, is that it can be picked up dirt cheap, sort of like the Q45. They aren't bad cars, and for the money they are a steal.
It's not a great car. Has a dash that's hard as a cheap plastic rock. Its 210HP engine never felt as quick as my 230HP Legend GS sedan I had.

I'm sure it's pretty reliable and yes it's comfortable, and I'm sure by now you can pick them up for peanuts.
Old 02-09-08, 12:14 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I test drove one when I test drove the current RL which I really like. The original RL was not as bad as I thought it was going to be and I liked the interior which again is its best feature, the car had decent torque and felt faster then 225hp which this one had. I even liked the interior more then my GS and felt most of the material were higher quality and the wood was nicer in the RL. The newer RL interior blows the last ones and my GS interior away though. The previous RL did look a bit more upscale and more like a luxury car then the newer RL and certainly more then that dissapointing refresh but like I said I will reserve judgement until I see it in person because I will probrably like it more when I see it in person, it looked better in motion on that TOV autoshow preview site.

Quick Reply: 2009 RL - disapointment