Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 RL - disapointment

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-08, 07:57 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.....sums it up.

The RL was supposed to become a serious flagship this time around - what happened?

It should have been bigger (about a foot longer) and less round.

And what's up with the unchanged interior!!!!! Hello? A complete exterior redesign but the same interior. I've never seen a company do that before.

Working at an Acura dealer, It'll be very interesting hearing comments from co-workers about this car. I also almost feel bad for the owner who drives nothing but the RL. He also owns a Hyundai dealership so I wonder if he'll go for the new Genesis instead, haha.
Old 02-15-08, 08:27 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JLSC4
.....sums it up.

The RL was supposed to become a serious flagship this time around - what happened?

And what's up with the unchanged interior!!!!! Hello? A complete exterior redesign but the same interior. I've never seen a company do that before.

Working at an Acura dealer, It'll be very interesting hearing comments from co-workers about this car. I also almost feel bad for the owner who drives nothing but the RL. He also owns a Hyundai dealership so I wonder if he'll go for the new Genesis instead, haha.
It's not a complete redesign. It's a refresh.
Old 02-15-08, 08:30 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

.....sums it up.

This was just a heavy refresh of the current one and not a new model. The new RL or Legend or whatever they are going to call it is supposed to come out in a year or two. The new model is supposed to be completely different from the current one and will most likely be based on the RWD platform being used for the NSX replacement and offer v8 or v10 options. The new RL/Legend is supposed to come out around when the NSX replacement comes out but it may possibly be released before if the NSX replacement is delayed again. Most of this info is rumors aside from a brand new one coming soon while this one shown in Chicago was just a heavy refresh of the current one and not the brand new model. Lets hope Acura comes up with something much better looking then what was just shown in Chicago because most people on the internet are very dissapointed aside from the very nice interior. I still want to hold final judgement until I see it in person and hear the reviews on it because I really liked the RL after seeing it in person and will probrably like this refresh better in person and they have improved the suspension and driving characteristics on this refresh so it is going to be much more sporty.
Old 02-15-08, 09:02 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
This was just a heavy refresh of the current one and not a new model. The new RL or Legend or whatever they are going to call it is supposed to come out in a year or two. The new model is supposed to be completely different from the current one and will most likely be based on the RWD platform being used for the NSX replacement and offer v8 or v10 options. The new RL/Legend is supposed to come out around when the NSX replacement comes out but it may possibly be released before if the NSX replacement is delayed again. Most of this info is rumors aside from a brand new one coming soon while this one shown in Chicago was just a heavy refresh of the current one and not the brand new model. Lets hope Acura comes up with something much better looking then what was just shown in Chicago because most people on the internet are very dissapointed aside from the very nice interior. I still want to hold final judgement until I see it in person and hear the reviews on it because I really liked the RL after seeing it in person and will probrably like this refresh better in person and they have improved the suspension and driving characteristics on this refresh so it is going to be much more sporty.
See that's what I originally heard. I don't know why they bothered with a major facelift like this before an all new model drops. This does look like a whole new body though. Facelifts/refreshes are usually just new lights/grill/bumpers.
Old 02-15-08, 10:32 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

See that's what I originally heard. I don't know why they bothered with a major facelift like this before an all new model drops. This does look like a whole new body though. Facelifts/refreshes are usually just new lights/grill/bumpers.
It is still a KB1 chassis I believe so this is definitely NOT a redesign. It is an ugly refresh though. Either way, hopefully used RLs are going for a good price. I wouldn't mind picking up a used 2006 model myself.
Old 02-16-08, 05:21 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
It is still a KB1 chassis I believe so this is definitely NOT a redesign. It is an ugly refresh though. Either way, hopefully used RLs are going for a good price. I wouldn't mind picking up a used 2006 model myself.
An average mileage 2006 is going for around $32-$38K.
Old 02-16-08, 06:28 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
I also heard a rumor that the next RL will be a V-12 with 600hp with 50 MPG and designed by Italdesign.....Also the next NSX will have a front and mid engine for 800hp, it will seat 4 and be a hard top convertible priced at 50 grand.

Are you not a little tired defending and coming up with "rumors". We've been hearing them way to long and when the product comes, well, the last 2 weeks Honda/Acura guys got kicked in the nuts with the RL/TSX.

We heard rumors in 2002/2003 that THIS RL was going to have a V-8 and the NSX would be sold by now.

At this rate, people no longer care, its not like time is standing still and the competition is making no major moves.

Look at BMW, offering now a TT V-8 with 400hp.

Old 02-16-08, 04:31 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Love that new grill. Answers the automotive design college question of what happens to a car when you make the grill as ugly as you can and then hit it with a chrome stick.
Old 02-17-08, 02:01 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why cant Acura bring back the Legend or NSX? I miss my 90's cars ALOT
Old 02-17-08, 07:08 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

RL is the Legend in other markets
Old 02-17-08, 07:32 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Robarapta

Old 02-17-08, 03:58 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Why cant Acura bring back the Legend or NSX? I miss my 90's cars ALOT

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Yeah, the Legend never went away. Acura has just done away with "word names" for their US models to be more in line with the naming technique of most luxury marques.
Old 02-17-08, 04:09 PM
LexFather

Yeah, the Legend never went away. Acura has just done away with "word names" for their US models to be more in line with the naming technique of most luxury marques.
Correct, the Vigor replacement, the 2.5 and 3.2 TL were the first to do so back in 1995. Acura realized after 10 years that everyone ELSE that was a luxury brand didn't use names. The thing is, the names seemed to WORK for the brand, especially Legend.

Just a small hint they have no clue about the luxury market.

Old 02-20-08, 05:48 AM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, but that is because a lot of people don't THINK. The wise person looks at the car and judges it, not by the nameplate or logo, but by what it actually gives you for the money. That's what I try to do, for example, in my auto reviews.
I agree with this... to a certain point. Someone could argue that the Hyundai Genesis is an amazing car both in drivetrain and interior... but I see VERY few Lexus/BMW/MB drivers willing to cross shop, no less purchase a Hyundai. Call me vain, but I don't think you'll catch me in one.
Old 02-20-08, 06:00 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

this isnt a real redesign btw more like a massive refresh, its still the same body. Guess ill see what the real next RL looks like in a couple years

Quick Reply: 2009 RL - disapointment