Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dodge Viper to be Discontinued? (Update on page 2)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-08 | 10:56 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by lexusrott
Sad news , another group of auto workers will be losing their jobs.
Most of them are paid WAY too much money in the first place; since the other workers won't take a pay cut to what they should be getting paid; the only way is to fire them.
Old 02-11-08 | 01:09 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Very sad news.
I really like the viper.
Old 02-11-08 | 08:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Great used car buy down the road for many
Old 08-27-08 | 07:29 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness
CL Folding 500000

Exclamation Chrysler Confirms It May Sell off Dodge Viper

A Chrysler spokesman confirms what the rumor mill has been saying: The company may sell off its iconic Viper. Pictured: 2008 Viper SRT10 ACR.

While Chrysler explores "strategic options" for the Viper, the supercar's fans may be left only with a wing and a prayer that it stays in the Chrysler stable.

AUBURN HILLS, Michigan — In a stunning announcement, Chrysler on Wednesday confirmed it will "explore strategic options for the Dodge Viper business." The move signals a potential sale of the hand-built Viper, an iconic American sports car inspired by the legendary AC Cobra.

"We have been approached by third parties who are interested in exploring future possibilities for Viper," said Bob Nardelli, Chrysler chairman and CEO, in a statement. "As the company evaluates strategic options to maximize core operations and leverage its assets, we have agreed to listen to these parties.

"We will do so keeping in mind the best interests of those who have shown tremendous support for the vehicle — including employees, suppliers, dealers and a worldwide group of loyal Viper owners and enthusiasts."

Nardelli added: "Viper is an integral part of this company's heritage. While this is a strategic review, our intent would be to offer strong operational and financial support during any potential transaction, in order to ensure a future for the Viper business and perpetuate the legacy of this great vehicle."

Chrysler underscored that it has not set a timetable for completion of the Viper review and noted that no "final decision" has been made with regard to the Viper.

Getting rid of the Viper would allow the automaker to focus on its "core business," Chrysler said.

In January, Inside Line reported that with new owner Cerberus accounting for every penny, there was increasing pressure to do something about the Viper. Supplier sources told Inside Line that Chrysler is prepared to "make an instantaneous decision" to discontinue the Viper, especially if it "no longer can deliver the desired halo effect."

What this means to you: Uncertain times for Viper loyalists as Detroit gets ready to sell off yet another piece of its automotive heritage. — Anita Lienert, Correspondent
Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=131329#2
Old 08-27-08 | 07:36 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

i've never really been that big a fan of the viper.. but it always catches my eye when i see one on the road.. the viper in the pics above looks amazing though
Old 08-27-08 | 07:40 PM
LexFather

Very sad news, its an incredible car.
Its getting tiring seeing American cars fail and imports just being bought up.

The Viper just kicked a lot of *** in a comparo recently.
Old 08-27-08 | 07:46 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

This is the same Nardelli that ruined Home Depot now he will ruin Chrysler instead of dumping what should be he is getting rid of what they sell. IMHO this makes no sense if this is to save money cut his salary also and his Home Depot package. Wait in a few years he (Nardelli) will pull another rip off package and walk out.
Old 08-28-08 | 02:07 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

I always thought the viper was a joke when it came out, no side windows, your leg gets burnt as you step outside the door on the exhaust pipe, god forbid you park it in any spot that doesn't have concrete / asphault under it like grass or wood chips or it has the potential to light it on fire. THEN they came out with the GTS, fix the exhaust location, added windows, and I loved the way it looked in Blue with White Stripes. A neighbor had one and all he did was curse about how much was always breaking on it. Meanwhile our other neighbor you never heard him complain about his NSX....
Old 08-28-08 | 02:45 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness
CL Folding 500000

Default Viper Loyalists React With Optimism to Uncertain Future for Dodge Supercar

A quick check of the temperature among Viper fans shows they are optimistic about the Dodge Viper's future, even if the product is sold off by Chrysler. Pictured: Viper coupe.

One fan was worried a new owner might make the Dodge Viper into a "family version of the Corvette." Pictured: Viper roadster.

AUBURN HILLS, Michigan — As owner's clubs and fan sites buzzed Wednesday with news that Chrysler may sell the Dodge Viper brand, fans of the brawny halo car expressed concern for what the car might become, rather than who owns it.

On the Viper Club of America forum, members were generally appreciative that Chrysler is looking at a future for the V10-powered car, rather than killing it off. Chrysler Chairman and CEO Bob Nardelli announced on Wednesday that the company was exploring "strategic options for the Dodge Viper business" and had been approached by companies interested in the Viper nameplate.

"I have only one hope, whoever buys it, keep it a Viper," wrote a Viper Club of America member going by the name V10SpeedLuvr. "I don't want a backseat or a V8. I'd rather see it die completely than become a mass produced, babyseat hold-down having, family version of the Corvette."

Many owners and enthusiasts were speculating on potential buyers — and voicing dreams of an even more powerful Viper produced by a niche manufacturer like Pininfarina, Roush or Saleen. Still, some fans worried that eliminating the halo car from the lineup would harm the entire Dodge brand. On Red Letter Dodge, a Web site devoted to the entire company lineup, the news drew just two comments, but both posters expressed disappointment.

"Having a high-end car in the lineup gives Dodge the credibility that they are a high-performance, quality manufacturer that will always be a few notches above the competition because they can build exotic cars," wrote user TexasMopar.

What this means to you: Viper fans don't seem too concerned with what logo is on the hood, as long as the car stays true to its performance pedigree. — Eric Tingwall, Correspondent
Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=131347#2
Old 08-28-08 | 06:58 PM
dc935
Rookie

Originally Posted by toy4two
I loved the way it looked in Blue with White Stripes. A neighbor had one and all he did was curse about how much was always breaking on it. Meanwhile our other neighbor you never heard him complain about his NSX....
Me too Never had 1 problem with my Vipers. They were as solid as my 04 NSX.

Im a Viper fan and have owned all 3 Generations (93rt10,97gts,04srt10). I always hear folks trash the viper for this and that (offset pedals, heat, sound, etc), but for me, it was completely RAW and oh so much FUN Would be sad to see the viper go

Pic of my Blue/White 97 GTS (smooth tubes,hf cats, BB headers and x-over exh, Eibachs and 19" HRE547Rs). That car will always be one of my favorites! I def miss it.

Last edited by dc935; 08-28-08 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-28-08 | 07:03 PM
TEXASMAJOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dc935
Me too Never had 1 problem with my Vipers. They were as solid as my 04 NSX.

Im a Viper fan and have owned all 3 Generations (93rt10,97gts,04srt10). I always hear folks trash the viper for this and that (offset pedals, heat, sound, etc), but for me, it was completely RAW and oh so much FUN Would be sad to see the viper go

Pic of my Blue/White 97 GTS (smooth tubes,hf cats, BB headers and x-over exh, Eibachs and 19" HRE547Rs). That car will always be one of my favorites! I def miss it.
pure sex!
viper= RAWNESS!
Old 08-28-08 | 07:29 PM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

Vipers are sick! My brother in law had one and it was the 1st time and only time ever I had been in one. Amazing car!
Old 09-01-08 | 01:59 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bean
Most of them are paid WAY too much money in the first place; since the other workers won't take a pay cut to what they should be getting paid; the only way is to fire them.

This thread is about Vipers not autoworkers, plenty of threads debating that here lets not start another one.

This story came out a few months ago, seems the bean counters in charge don't want to spend the money to finish developing the next gen due in 2011, shameful because the Viper is a true American car success story, too bad the management isn't balanced between bean counters and real car guys.
Old 09-02-08 | 08:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I have driven 2 vipers recently. There are amazingly fast, but very very very basic. The thing had 600 hp and no traction control. NEXT

you can build viper performance in your garage with a crate motor and a sound chasis. Give me GTR technology. sledge hammer vs laser gun imo.
Old 09-02-08 | 09:11 PM
LexFather

That GTS is my fav Viper. Wow!!