Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nothing Has Changed But The Date. American Cars Worst For Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-08, 07:32 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I will take a Vette C6 & CTS any day of the week. I will have to get my paws on that 550hp CTS-V for sure. I am tired of the washer & dryer Accord & Camry. Those cars, quoting Och, are " crap boxes "
Old 02-11-08, 09:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I am tired of the washer & dryer Accord & Camry. Those cars, quoting Och, are " crap boxes "
They are not a "washer and dryer" combination. With the exception of the paint job, you will find the build quality and fit/finish of the new Accord to be substantially better than that of the new Camry, especially in the dash/console. The Accord also has a better ride/handling/steering combination.
Old 02-11-08, 09:12 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

I think he meant they're both boring transportation appliances. Some of us want CARS.
Old 02-11-08, 09:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Sorry guys but nothing has changed but the date.

http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.as...tentid=4023544
Yes and that date, FROM THE LINK, is:

Our 2006 Annual Car Reliability Survey

And as has been said, there's been lots of changes recently in Consumer Reports rankings, not that I think much of any of their surveys.

Overall, yes, I still give Japanese cars (even if built in the U.S.) the edge on reliability, but only slightly these days. Any given car from any brand might be perfect or have a few problems and yes, sometimes major ones as we've seen from every brand.
Old 02-11-08, 09:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
What you posted was published in 2006, not recent material at all.

Here are a few more recent and if you search CTS you will find it gets glowing reports, including from Consumer Reports.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=123049

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...liability.html
nothing has changed but few ppl have made big deal of Camry and Tundra not being automatically reccomended anymore, forgeting that Toyota still had 18 reccomended models, which is more than all american manufacturers together and more than any other company

:-)
Old 02-11-08, 09:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
They are not a "washer and dryer" combination. With the exception of the paint job, you will find the build quality and fit/finish of the new Accord to be substantially better than that of the new Camry, especially in the dash/console. The Accord also has a better ride/handling/steering combination.
mmarshal you confuse reliablity with your own subjective perceived quality. big differences there.
Old 02-11-08, 09:36 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
nothing has changed but few ppl have made big deal of Camry and Tundra not being automatically reccomended anymore, forgeting that Toyota still had 18 reccomended models, which is more than all american manufacturers together and more than any other company

Wrong, and wrong. As I listed in my earlier post, a LOT has changed. Now Toyota only has TWELVE recommended cars. Less than Honda, who had 14. And nowhere NEAR the FORTY-NINE recommended models from all american companies combined. Even the primary brands from each company (Ford, Chevy, Chrysler) have 18 total recommended models. When you add in all the sub brands (I left out the "european" ones earlier), you're at 55, though admittedly Toyota/Lexus/Scion jumps up to 23.

You posted 2-year old data that is largely irrelevant in 2008, and tried to pass it off as current. You've been called on it. Accept it and move on.

Last edited by geko29; 02-11-08 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-11-08, 09:54 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is more than a few ppl...no few caused a ratings drop to degree experienced and on more models than just those you listed.

My point in responding though was simply use up to date data not several year old data no matter which manufacturer is doing good, bad or in between.
Old 02-11-08, 10:23 AM
LexFather

Another thing to consider, some of those cars are not built in the country of the car maker.....

Old 02-11-08, 11:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

mmarshal you confuse reliablity with your own subjective perceived quality. big differences there.
No. I've been reviewing new cars for some 40 years. I know the difference between my own perceptions and reality (I don't mean to sound cocky or arrogant by saying this.....I only do so to make a point). The new Accord interior DEFINITELY has better-quality materials and fit/finish in it than the new Camry's. That is not my "perception", but a fact. I spent enough time in the interior of both cars to gauge that.

The new Accord also is more driver-oriented, with a more spohisticated ride-handling combination and a more BMW-like steering feel despite the FWD layout.

However, to be fair, the Camry also has its good points.....like a number of Toyota/Lexus products, a paint job that exceeds that of the Accord, a silky-smooth powertrain (notwithstanding some of the V6 transmission issues), and generally good noise isolation. The Camry SE, with its slightly firmer suspension/tires and revamped power steering, is a little closer to the Accord's chassis setup than other Camrys.

I also know that a car can LOOK good on the surface, but be made of questionable materials underneath. The Buick Enclave, for example, has a truly stunning interior, but, beneath the surface glitz and plushness is much of the same old GM interior plastic.....just with a better finish on it. The new Lexus ES350 is another example of surface glitz/plushness and underlying cheapness inside (unlike the former ES330). The new Cadillac CTS, on the other hand, not only provides a much better looking interior than the old one but better materials as well. So does the new Chevrolet Malibu, except for cheaply done door panels.
Old 02-11-08, 12:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I will take a Vette C6 & CTS any day of the week. I will have to get my paws on that 550hp CTS-V for sure. I am tired of the washer & dryer Accord & Camry. Those cars, quoting Och, are " crap boxes "
Apples to apples my friend. If Accord and Camry are washer and dryer, then a Mailbu is a fridge.
Old 02-11-08, 12:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Apples to apples my friend. If Accord and Camry are washer and dryer, then a Mailbu is a fridge.
Yes, Och...........the new Malibu is a fridge, but a NICE one. For the first time, it out-Camrys the Camry itself...especially the V6 LTZ model.
Old 02-11-08, 12:43 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Yes, Och...........the new Malibu is a fridge, but a NICE one. For the first time, it out-Camrys the Camry itself...especially the V6 LTZ model.
LOL, I love that phraze... out-Camrys the Camry itself. Good one.
Old 02-11-08, 12:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
LOL, I love that phraze... out-Camrys the Camry itself. Good one.
Thanks.

Go see.....and drive.....the new Malibu for yourself, preferably the V6. I think you will agree.
And check out the Accord as well.......again, preferably the V6 coupe. You will also find THAT to be a real nice fridge.
Old 02-11-08, 12:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

No. I've been reviewing new cars for some 40 years. I know the difference between my own perceptions and reality (I don't mean to sound cocky or arrogant by saying this.....I only do so to make a point). The new Accord interior DEFINITELY has better-quality materials and fit/finish in it than the new Camry's. That is not my "perception", but a fact. I spent enough time in the interior of both cars to gauge that.
I agree with you very much on that. I feel that the best Camry interior was the 92 model, it was kind of Lexusish. Ever since it's been downhill, cost cutting is obvious on the interior on the current model and the two previous generations. The Accord, IMO, is class leading when it comes to interiors, although the exterior of the current generation is controversial to say the least.

That being said, there appears to be some cost cutting on the Accord as well - this new generation lost the LED taillights of the previous model.

However, to be fair, the Camry also has its good points.....like a number of Toyota/Lexus products, a paint job that exceeds that of the Accord, a silky-smooth powertrain (notwithstanding some of the V6 transmission issues), and generally good noise isolation. The Camry SE, with its slightly firmer suspension/tires and revamped power steering, is a little closer to the Accord's chassis setup than other Camrys.
I'd also say that Camry has the best headlights as the halogen headlights get. Very nice projector system.

Quick Reply: Nothing Has Changed But The Date. American Cars Worst For Reliability