Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Advice on a New car!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-08, 02:05 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on a New car!!

Alright guys, I need some help on picking a car that's within $40k-$50k range.

I'm looking for a coupe that is luxurious/sporty/good "feel" factor.

I know one of the CL member bought an S5/A5??!? How was your experience? How's does the car feel? If you could give me a little insight then that would be awesome.

Right now, I'm really considering the Audi A5 but, just wanted to know if there is any thing else that you guys may know which I may not. So, feel free to suggest any car you think would be good within the $40k-$50k range...

Thanks!
Old 02-10-08, 02:29 PM
LexFather

Well if its a coupe your choices are narrow.
BMW 335
BMW 135
Audi A5 (I don't think u can get an S5 for under 50k)
Infiniti G37
Volvo C70

Used, well possibilities are galore...

My opinions
135 too small, odd looking but will be a hoot to drive. Not sure how a 1 anything can make u feel good.
335, the class standard still, looks okay, engine is just a hoot with handling to match. Interior is blah and owning one is a 2 sided knife. On one end its a BMW with image to match, the other is, the 3 sells 12k copies a month.
G37, interior is hugely improved, price is attractive, engine is another beast and handling to match. Less image than a 135 and when u see an Altima coupe, that doesn't "feel good"
C70 is a nice coupe/hardtop covert.Different to own, so that feels good, but its a volvo, so image means your scared to crash. Nice interior, nice exterior.
A5, looks good inside and out as well but more sedan looking than the rest. Interior is busy but the usual Audi top notch materials. Price may get scary. Decent engine, decent handling.

No losers in this group all have highs and lows and all will just be good to the owner fwiw. What would I get............a

I would give the G37 a chance...get it in black, take off the Infiniti badges and call it a day....next, the 335. The A5 engine is just obviously weaker than those two. Then the 135, then the Volvo.

Old 02-10-08, 02:36 PM
Perfection
Lead Lap

335i, G37, CLK350, SLK350, or a Lotus Elise
Old 02-10-08, 02:41 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sc430 ftw........ What up with the IS350?
Old 02-10-08, 02:52 PM
lexusrott
Pole Position

How about the Lexus GS ?
Is not a coupe but is a great car.
Old 02-10-08, 03:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If you can go 4 doors, check out the Acura RL. Superb build quality and fit/finish inside and out. Doors and sheet metal solid as a tank. Superb SH-AWD system. Torque from the V6 not quite as as high as your typical V8 but plenty for all sane driving. Lists for about 50K but usually sells at large discounts from low demand and low sales.

It's also hard to beat the BMW 335i for that price range (40-50K). I reviewed one last week and found it to be one of the best sports sedans available for the money.
Old 02-10-08, 03:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

BMW 135

135 too small, odd looking but will be a hoot to drive. Not sure how a 1 anything can make u feel good.
The 135 won't be available till April or so in this area. I know there are a number of people interested in this car.......including me. I plan to review one as soon as they are available. If you get a chance to drive one before I do, Mike, give us a little report.
Old 02-10-08, 07:48 PM
LexFather

Guys, he said he wants a COUPE.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The 135 won't be available till April or so in this area. I know there are a number of people interested in this car.......including me. I plan to review one as soon as they are available. If you get a chance to drive one before I do, Mike, give us a little report.
I doubt I go to the dealer to drive one. If a bud has one or one pops up, yeah, I'll review it.

Old 02-10-08, 07:58 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I would get S5, but that's > $50K right ?

My other choices left would be the 335i coupe & the G37 coupe, both fine cars. I personally would pick the 335i, better car overall, only thing I like more about the G37 is the interior.
Old 02-10-08, 08:23 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

A coupe for that price range, just buy what everybody is buying - BMW 3-series coupe. I haven't driven the S5, but I believe Audi vehicle is not up to BMW's level when it comes to fun to drive and handling, so I would eliminate S5 immediately, especially when S5 is more expensive. I think 3 coupe is the most balanced sports coupe, one of the best looking, one of the best handling, and one of the fastest coupe in the market, regardless the price. Frankly, of all the two door cars in the market, I only think Maserati Granturismo is better looking than 3-series coupe. V35 G35 coupe and S5 are close, but not yet there in the styling department.
Old 02-10-08, 10:41 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

S5 is about $58-60K.

TwiBlue, I think you'd see that the S5 is quite a capable car. I've given it a couple pretty thorough drives and it was a blast to drive around. I think it's the best chassis Audi has come out with, save of course the R8.

That said, I believe the G37 coupe barely breaks 40K fully loaded, and is definitely a good value for what you get.

328/335 is definitely the benchmark of the class though.
Old 02-10-08, 11:26 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd say go with the 335i or the g37s. im thinking about getting an 335i convertible myself when the lease ends on my current headache.
Old 02-11-08, 12:05 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cayman-S/E46 M3 for me. or maybe a SLK55? used Lotus Exige if you're into track/autocrossing?

probably used though but oh well as long as it's CPO.
Old 02-11-08, 04:16 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well if its a coupe your choices are narrow.
Used, well possibilities are galore...

335, the class standard still, looks okay, engine is just a hoot with handling to match. Interior is blah and owning one is a 2 sided knife. On one end its a BMW with image to match, the other is, the 3 sells 12k copies a month.
G37, interior is hugely improved, price is attractive, engine is another beast and handling to match. Less image than a 135 and when u see an Altima coupe, that doesn't "feel good"
C70 is a nice coupe/hardtop covert.Different to own, so that feels good, but its a volvo, so image means your scared to crash. Nice interior, nice exterior.
A5, looks good inside and out as well but more sedan looking than the rest. Interior is busy but the usual Audi top notch materials. Price may get scary. Decent engine, decent handling.
Good choices!! Yea, I sat in the A5 and the interior is just awesome! That's why I was leaning towards it. The exterior styling is awesome too. My 2nd choice was the 335xi and G37.

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Sc430 ftw........ What up with the IS350?
The IS350 is staying too.

Originally Posted by Robarapta
I would get S5, but that's > $50K right ?

My other choices left would be the 335i coupe & the G37 coupe, both fine cars. I personally would pick the 335i, better car overall, only thing I like more about the G37 is the interior.
Yea, I thought about the S5 but, it's pretty high up there. There's a teeny-whiney chance that I may opt for that. Mainly because I love the exhaust sound of the S5!
Old 02-12-08, 09:50 AM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

S5.... is the way to go.. let that Quattro roll...

besides, everyone and their grand uncle has a BMW....

Quick Reply: Advice on a New car!!