Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan considering Infiniti GT-R (and other Infiniti news)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-08, 01:44 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Cadillac has the XLR two seater (it hasn't been successful tho) based off of the Corvette.

Maybe adding luxury to a sports car is easier said than done.
Old 02-11-08, 02:02 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

add two more doors, make it a 4door coupe, slap on a fancy badge, give fancy brochures, and sell it for 150k .
Old 02-11-08, 02:10 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
It has to do with a luxury sports car, and that's what we're talking about when discussing branding and marketing the GT-R under a (gasp) luxury brand. But it's clear you have no interest in either reading or comprehending.

Point out anywhere where I grouped all Japanese or all American cars together, and then perhaps we can start talking about who should be going back to high school. If anything, I grouped together buyers of these vehicles, who year after year in various studies, cite reliability as the reason they avoid American cars (70% of those buyers, according to last year's C/D) and cite reliability as the reason they buy boring Toyotas and Hondas and from other Japanese brands.
My reading comprehension is fine, trust me. My original point was that this vehicle was branded a Nissan and not an Infiniti because it's a sports car, and the brand of a sports car doesn't matter like it does in a luxury car, especially for a vehicle as legendary as a GT-R.

And what does the average Corolla or a Civic buyer that values reliability have to do with a sports car?
Old 02-11-08, 02:25 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
My reading comprehension is fine, trust me.
I don't.

Originally Posted by thetopdog
My original point was that this vehicle was branded a Nissan and not an Infiniti because it's a sports car...
... and my point, which you responded to, was that it may have been better off marketed and branded as an Infiniti and a luxury performance car. That is the basis for my entry into the discussion. Yet, just as in this quote, you keep coming back to the GT-R being a sports car. I'm talking what it could be, yet you keep attempting to refute by coming back to what it currently is. Of course if you insist on the GT-R being a sports car, any discussion of it being a luxury car and perceived as such is pointless.
Old 02-11-08, 02:41 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
GTR has always been under nissan nameplate, making the GTR infiniti is like making the Z06 a cadillac. Both have long histories
Sure, but not in the US - and it's been discussed ad nauseum how much the luxury brand perception matters here for expensive cars, even if they're performance-oriented. Yes, I know there have always been crazed enthusiasts of the Skyline in the US, but that same type of "brand legacy" isn't keeping Acura from claiming the NSX when they introduce the brand in Japan either.

EDIT: This referenced a post that has since disappeared.

Last edited by gengar; 02-11-08 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-11-08, 03:27 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Isn't it just like the move by Toyota/Lexus of doing both Land Cruiser and LX470? Also Camry and ES300? I think this move is very unnecessary. All Nissan need to do is increase the allotment of the Nissan GT-R for the American market. Many American companies have done the similar things of selling essentially the same thing in different brands, and I think this is not the Japanese's tradition.
Well one of the reason's stated was that Infiniti needs something to excite the brand. Their current flagship is the M45. I mean look at Acura with their RL as the flagship they're definitely not considered a big player in the luxury game. It's not because their isn't enough GT-Rs to be sold (although it's true they're being skimpy on the allotment), it's because Infiniti needs something that sells at a price point higher than the M. And since they can't decide on a new Q they're thinking a quick solution to hold them until they have a real flagship luxury sedan would be a rebadged luxurized GT-R.
I think it makes sense.
Old 02-11-08, 07:19 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gengar
I don't.

... and my point, which you responded to, was that it may have been better off marketed and branded as an Infiniti and a luxury performance car. That is the basis for my entry into the discussion. Yet, just as in this quote, you keep coming back to the GT-R being a sports car. I'm talking what it could be, yet you keep attempting to refute by coming back to what it currently is. Of course if you insist on the GT-R being a sports car, any discussion of it being a luxury car and perceived as such is pointless.
OK... Personal bickering aside, I see both gengar's and thetopdog's points.
I personally, think that Infinity GTR is a terrible idea because it would mean a demise of that particular car. Over the years and generations, Skyline GT-R has gotten heavier and more technologically advanced, but it has not grown more luxurious (AFAIK). When you introduce luxury into the equation, you change the customer base and the focus of the car. While M6 is an awesome GT car it is much more 'civilized' than the GT-R and is not a track weapon. To compete with M and AMG, Nissan (er... Infiniti) GT-R would need more weight-adding, performance-sapping luxury items and sound deadening. It might open the market up, but to Skyline GT-R enthusiasts, it would be a sad thing.
Old 02-11-08, 07:54 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Isn't it just like the move by Toyota/Lexus of doing both Land Cruiser and LX470? Also Camry and ES300? I think this move is very unnecessary. All Nissan need to do is increase the allotment of the Nissan GT-R for the American market. Many American companies have done the similar things of selling essentially the same thing in different brands, and I think this is not the Japanese's tradition.
Originally Posted by Vlad_Stein
OK... Personal bickering aside, I see both gengar's and thetopdog's points.
I personally, think that Infinity GTR is a terrible idea because it would mean a demise of that particular car. Over the years and generations, Skyline GT-R has gotten heavier and more technologically advanced, but it has not grown more luxurious (AFAIK). When you introduce luxury into the equation, you change the customer base and the focus of the car. While M6 is an awesome GT car it is much more 'civilized' than the GT-R and is not a track weapon. To compete with M and AMG, Nissan (er... Infiniti) GT-R would need more weight-adding, performance-sapping luxury items and sound deadening. It might open the market up, but to Skyline GT-R enthusiasts, it would be a sad thing.
They'd be selling it alongside the GT-R though with a higher price point. In fact I think it would make the GT-R enthusiasts happy.
More GT-Rs allotted for the GT-R enthusiasts because the rich guys can get their lux-ed out GT-R because they can afford it.
Old 02-11-08, 08:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Koma
They'd be selling it alongside the GT-R though with a higher price point. In fact I think it would make the GT-R enthusiasts happy.
More GT-Rs allotted for the GT-R enthusiasts because the rich guys can get their lux-ed out GT-R because they can afford it.
Nope. Hell the GT-R enthusiasts really are not fans of the new car. Bigger, heavier, uglier to them. They do love the performance though.

DId anyone read the editorial in EVO. Metcalf says the car should be called SKYLINE GT-R and he's upset the Skyline name was dropped as Nissan just mixs and matches things.

The Q45 is dead b/c no business case for it to be profitable can be made. However we have heard of a possible 4 door coupe thing coming. Maybe based off the GT-R?

However, no matter how good it is, Infiniti will continue to be Nissans and not separate from the brand.

Old 02-11-08, 08:39 PM
LexFather

More Infiniti news Andrew, I edited your title

Just an idea of a possible Infiniti 4 door coupe above the M35/45.

Rundown of some info:

- Will have the VR38DETT engine from the GT-R but will also have a V-8 in its line-up ; the V-8 that will be used will be the new successor to the VH45.

- It will be four-door model with larger rear seats.

- interior will be more luxurious; soft-leather and wood. The roof will be slightly taller and there will be more rear-leg room in the back and should seat 4-5 adults comfortably.

- weight will be kept down using carbon-fiber components and the car will be designed to achieve sub-8 minutes Nürburgring lap times.

- The car will be positioned against the Porsche Panamera and will be released around 2011

Old 02-11-08, 08:41 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
More Infiniti news Andrew, I edited your title

Just an idea of a possible Infiniti 4 door coupe above the M35/45.

Rundown of some info:

- Will have the VR38DETT engine from the GT-R but will also have a V-8 in its line-up ; the V-8 that will be used will be the new successor to the VH45.

- It will be four-door model with larger rear seats.

- interior will be more luxurious; soft-leather and wood. The roof will be slightly taller and there will be more rear-leg room in the back and should seat 4-5 adults comfortably.

- weight will be kept down using carbon-fiber components and the car will be designed to achieve sub-8 minutes Nürburgring lap times.

- The car will be positioned against the Porsche Panamera and will be released around 2011
For a second I thought it was a Maserati (?sp) lol

Seems like an interesting rendering. Why not put the Q badge on it?
Old 02-11-08, 08:44 PM
LexFather

More Infiniti News

Also, reported in CAR, there is a 4 page article on Infiniti and mostly the G37. The title is "Can Infiniti pull a Lexus"

The G37, EX and FX will be the first models. The FX is the first Infinti to debut in Europe. Then the next Fuga/M35/45 will join.

Biggest rumor is a possible Infiniti small car, maybe even a hatch. Will use a REnault Diesel and maybe a 2.5 V-6. For Europe only.

G37 will actually get higher grade interior, switches for the Euro market. THey understand how important interiors are and the Skyline/USDM G37 is not good enough.

Infiniti is investing tons in top notch dealerships and the customer experience. They want to do what Lexus is doing in Europe here.

Sales goals are modest 8k-10k starting in 2009.

HUGE issue with image. No one knew what the G37 was, some thought it was CHINESE. Infiniti acknowledges its a huge issue, they hope to get buyers tired of the same old BMW/Audi/Benz or tired of crappy quality/service.

I say good luck to them!!!

Old 02-11-08, 08:45 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
Why not put the Q badge on it?
Given the Q's history, they may not think it's that good of an idea . . .
Old 02-11-08, 08:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Given the Q's history, they may not think it's that good of an idea . . .
Exactly. Q=failure in 99.5% of peoples minds and .5% that are owners are blind to Nissan. However, to their credit, they somewhat have turned around the failures that were the G20(now G35/37) and M30/first gen M45 (now 35/45). I don't know is any marketing or anything can save the Q, especially with the LS being such a giant success.

I would recommend they drop that name (I mean Q, what an awful letter) and start over with something new for a new sportier car.

Old 02-12-08, 04:13 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: Nissan considering Infiniti GT-R (and other Infiniti news)