Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Production Toyota iQ, Urban Cruiser revealed

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-08, 01:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
So basically toyota is selling the ist(XD) 4WD model in europe instead of it being a japan only design.
yes. Kind off. Basically Toyota IST AWD BUT with raised suspension that Japan does not have, yet.

Everything else looks COMPLETLY the same.
Old 02-13-08, 01:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Possibly.

If the SMART can attact a lot of customers, it's almost definite that other automakers will follow.

And considering that there is a lack of vehicles under $10k, the IQ is a good contender for personal metropolitan transport.
I know it is a bit hard for ppl in USA to understand.

Europe is the country of small cars. Yaris is the most sold Toyota here instead of being curiousity in the USA (Yaris Hatchback, Sedan does not exist). For us, Camry is HUGE.

That being said, iQ is PREMIUM small hatchback that is going to be priced more than well equipped Yaris in Europe.

As you can see it has HIDs, 16 or 17" wheels, it will have 10 airbags standard. So thats definetly not the car for the USA. It is basically halo small vehicle for Toyota, to get luxury car buyers from other brands OR buyers who have money and Land Cruisers already, but need smaller yet premium car.

It is not supposed to sell a lot anywhere outside big cities like Paris and London.

I would expect many cool technological solutions, premium priced. Expect HIDs, Smart entry, auto air, navigation, etc.

If I had to guess US price, probably around 16k-18k at least... So, now, you wont get it anytime soon.
Old 02-13-08, 01:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

p.s. doesnt the front remind of that ftcx-something concept for "celica" type vehicle? I totally dig those lines.
Old 02-13-08, 02:40 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
p.s. doesnt the front remind of that ftcx-something concept for "celica" type vehicle? I totally dig those lines.
It does.

Originally Posted by spwolf
If I had to guess US price, probably around 16k-18k at least... So, now, you wont get it anytime soon.
The Smart is pretty pricey itself though.
Old 02-13-08, 03:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koma
It does.

The Smart is pretty pricey itself though.
yea, but smart is one huge failure. If USA does not save the project, it will probably dissapear soon.
Old 02-13-08, 03:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

btw, Autoexpress has some info on equipment:

p front the driver is treated to some cutting edge kit. There’s a heads up display featuring speed and sat-nav information, which is programmed via steering wheel-mounted controls. Elsewhere in the cabin you’ll find a panoramic glass roof and cool ambient lighting at night.
Not sure if they are making this up...
Old 02-13-08, 05:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Koma
Aren't you like 6'3" Mike? I hope you can sit comfortably in that thing.
6'5"

Ever since I saw the concept, its the FIRST small subcompact car I just fell in love with. I couldn't believe it.

I am SO happy it looks very close to the concept.

PLLLLEEASE come to America!!!

Old 02-13-08, 07:15 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck fitting into this thing man.

I like the idea and I think that it should definitely come as a very low priced model with options to make it more luxurious (especially for the Euro market). I would love to have a fuel efficient easy to park DD for Boston. Parking is ridiculous in this city.
Old 02-13-08, 07:38 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shouldn't be a problem for Mike. I mean the smart fortwo can fit people up to 6' 7".

I prefer the concept's headlight vs. the Fit-like version on the production model.

But yes, PLEASE bring it over!!! I'd like a fortwo with Toyota reliability (and fuel economy!)
Old 02-13-08, 08:45 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would those 4 wheel disc brakes be standard on the iQ?

That Urban Cruiser sounds like a last gen Rav4 replacement as the current Rav4 got larger
Old 02-13-08, 08:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Shouldn't be a problem for Mike. I mean the smart fortwo can fit people up to 6' 7".

I prefer the concept's headlight vs. the Fit-like version on the production model.

But yes, PLEASE bring it over!!! I'd like a fortwo with Toyota reliability (and fuel economy!)
I fit fine in a Mini, tons of room actually. I don't know if I'm in a phase or what but.........

Old 02-14-08, 02:13 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I fit fine in a Mini, tons of room actually. I don't know if I'm in a phase or what but.........
Ditto (although I'm shorter than you are). Heck I fit in the back of MINI just fine (literally, just but still comfortable).
Old 02-14-08, 11:28 PM
*wishlist*
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

toyota's version of the fortwo? i want one. bring it to the US and price it below the smart. check that... make it a better value than the smart with comparable size and gas mileage and i'll take one. two weeks to see more pics. so far it's not too far from the concept though i think the concept still looks better.

Last edited by *wishlist*; 02-15-08 at 12:01 AM.