Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rattles: Do you think they're also think they're a growing trend in luxury cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-08, 04:09 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
except the wood was fake in the previous ES.
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure it was a wood veneer like all the other middle level Lexus cars. Sure, it is only 1 mm or 2 thick, but real wood none the less Not that I really care though as long as it looks good it can be as fake as Hollywood plastic surgury
Old 02-13-08, 04:31 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you guys want to see no rattles, you should try some of Mercedes Benz old models, from the 60ies and 70ies. Boy these were tanks with bank vault doors.
Old 02-13-08, 04:56 PM
LexFather

Cars are very complex. They will rattle, ESPECIALLY more, as more cars have FIRMER suspensions with LOW PROFILE tires.

Instead of cushy cars that won't squeak or rattle, we now have very tight cars, with stiff suspensions and stiff frames.

HArder to hide a rattle, when one does happen.

Also, EVERY company cuts costs.

Old 02-13-08, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

No, it was not. It was some of the best automotive wood trim you'll see outside of Jaguars.

The Infiniti M45, today, has sort of taken the place of the old ES in providing some of the best non-Jaguar wood.
Old 02-13-08, 05:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

=meowCat;3276493]What about the new Hyundai Genesis?
To be honest, I can't comment much on that car. I only saw it briefly at the DC auto show.....up on a turntable. Didn't even get a chance to sit in it. I will review it when it goes on sale.

And what the hell happened to the IS350 cars?... why do they get rattles... They're made in Japan, by Japanese hands with passion. wut... did they get sloppy too?
Simple. Cheaper, lighter-weight interior plastics....and stiffer underpinnings. The IS300, with standard 45s, had the option of higher-profile 55-series all-seasons. My own IS300 had that option, a reasonably smooth though marginally firm ride, and few if any rattle problems. The new IS250/350 did away with that option.

I thought the Acura TL is pretty much the one that had most issues with the rattles among its competitors..
In this class, the Jaguar X-class was probably the most loosely-built car as far as interior creaks and rattles go. I test-drove a new one several years ago but did not write it up.
Old 02-13-08, 05:44 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I can't comment for all cars, but the new camry's also have this problem. When I was at the Infiniti dealer, the guy told me that the new G37 is "100% rattle-free car". So maybe it's not a growing trend, or maybe he was just trying to get me to buy it. lol!
I can't comment on ALL new Infiniti G's, but the couple of new G35's I have had extensive experience with proved this to be true. The build and materials quality of the new G35 vs. the old G35 is like comparing the interior of an early 90's Hyundai and a last generation Lexus LS. The difference, IMO, is remarkable.
Old 02-13-08, 05:56 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, because the new model luxury cars put more insulations and all kind of the new technologies to make car quieter. Now, the car insulated from all the noise outside the car and you feel like in the library so you ears will pick up all the little noise inside the car.

Imagine you are sitting in the library reading a book and people at another end turn the page of the book he or she is reading and your ears picking up that noise.In the mean time, you are at the sport bar drinking will your buddies and you can not hear the phone ring and your girlfriend p!!sed off because you don't answer her phone call...so you ain't get nothing that night...lol.

When your ears tuned into the certain noise you will find out that you pay more attention to that particular noise.

Rattle and squeaking in cars can happened depending on temperature, road surface, speed and a lot of things. My 1992 Camry don't have any rattle or squeaking because I can't hear the darn thing due to the road noise, tire noise and so on. Funny that the Ferrari's owners never complaint about rattle when you have a V-8 or V-12 screaming right behind you...
Old 02-13-08, 06:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by VVT-i
Well, because the new model luxury cars put more insulations and all kind of the new technologies to make car quieter.
Library-quiet rides are not just limited to luxury cars either. Drive a new Chevy Malibu or Saturn Aura (both are done on the same platform and body), particularly the V6, and you will see what I mean.
Old 02-13-08, 06:13 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrsplat
So after having my IS250 for a whopping 2 months my car has developed the incessant rattles and squeaks that plague the car. I knew about this going in so it's not killing me, but it kinda leaves me wondering if rattles in all levels of luxury cars are becoming way too common. What do you think?
My Bimmer is rock solid and quite quiet.
Old 02-13-08, 06:37 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Library-quiet rides are not just limited to luxury cars either. Drive a new Chevy Malibu or Saturn Aura (both are done on the same platform and body), particularly the V6, and you will see what I mean.
I believe you about the Malibu and the Aura, but when you isolated yourself from the rest of the world you will hear things..I mean things that you've never hear before.That's my point.
Old 02-13-08, 07:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by VVT-i
I believe you about the Malibu and the Aura, but when you isolated yourself from the rest of the world you will hear things..I mean things that you've never hear before.That's my point.
Dude, that is a GREAT point. Cars are so much quieter now that you can hear anything. A lot of times I've talked to people who thought they had a problem with the car and come to find out, something was moving in a purse, a penny was stuck under the seat, etc etc.

Also, people are f.o.s on the internet, you have those that exaggerate rattles and those that have cars that rattle but for whatever reason won't state that.

So you have to filter it all and see for yourself.

Old 02-13-08, 07:12 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Not true, Lexus has never used fake wood trims on their cars.
Old 02-13-08, 07:40 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of the stuff used to be held by screws, now they're replaced by plastic tabs that snap into place. Perhaps that's the source of the rattles?
Old 02-13-08, 07:53 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know why this is, but almost all the BMWs I've driven have been rattle-free. (something I'm very **** about)

The new BMWs have crappy interior material quality, but they're still rattle free and feel very tight. I don't know why/how that is.
Old 02-13-08, 08:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Not true, Lexus has never used fake wood trims on their cars.
Yup
Originally Posted by rosskoss
I don't know why this is, but almost all the BMWs I've driven have been rattle-free. (something I'm very **** about)

The new BMWs have crappy interior material quality, but they're still rattle free and feel very tight. I don't know why/how that is.
Especially older BMWs, I rode in a pals 540-6 and I mean this is a 10 year old car and it felt solid as a rock, more solid than my 01 GS.

Quick Reply: Rattles: Do you think they're also think they're a growing trend in luxury cars?