Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rattles: Do you think they're also think they're a growing trend in luxury cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-08, 08:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rosskoss
I don't know why this is, but almost all the BMWs I've driven have been rattle-free. (something I'm very **** about)

The new BMWs have crappy interior material quality, but they're still rattle free and feel very tight. I don't know why/how that is.
Huge gaps between panels, so panels don't rattle against each other from vibrations.
Old 02-14-08, 05:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yup

Especially older BMWs, I rode in a pals 540-6 and I mean this is a 10 year old car and it felt solid as a rock, more solid than my 01 GS.
Older BMWs were indeed like rocks in their sheet metal and door solidness. In general, that went out with the newer Chris-Bangle models, though the 3-series started a trend to thinner door sheet metal and solidness before it got the Bangle re-design. The BMW excellence in chassis and steering remains, however, and even the Chris Bangle models are not exactly what I would call tinny on the outside......though I am not impressed with the door solidness on the new 5-series. The old 5-series, though, was marvelous.
Old 02-14-08, 05:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
If you guys want to see no rattles, you should try some of Mercedes Benz old models, from the 60ies and 70ies. Boy these were tanks with bank vault doors.
No arguments there. M-B, decades ago, was the very definition of automotive quality. But their prices were so high, in relation to average incomes, that few people could afford them. Now you see them everywhere.

GM, in the late 60's, with its famous body by Fisher, was also known for careful attention to detail (I know...I grew up with them). Though their acrylic lacquer paint was notoriously lousy, body/interior quality and door solidness was carefully done (my young, sharp ears could tell a GM-designed car just by the sound of its door closing, as oppposed to Fords and Mopars). That disappared rapidly in the 1970's.....first in 1971 wth the all-new full-size models, and then in 1973 with the all-new mid-sized models.
Old 02-14-08, 10:59 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll just list the most recent cars I've driven:

'99 GS300 - so many rattles it drove me crazy. The dealer had to remove the dash and add foam to countless areas on the car. On the positive side, it had no mechanical issues for the seven years I owned the car.

'06 GS430 - yes, this car suffers from numerous rattles as well. A couple from the dash and one from the rear deck. Already had the TSB for the windshield creaking applied. But at least no mechanical issues with the car.

'06 E350 - my wife's car, picked up around the same time as the GS430, in June '05 and recently traded in for the E63. Build quaility was great, not one rattle in the car.

'08 E63 - still pretty new, but build quality is impressive. No rattles or funny noises, just a little road noise from the tires.

'06 LS430 - mom's car. This thing is quiet! Build quailty is great, unlike my GS430, no rattles.

'07 Escalade - dad's car. To my surprise, the Escalade has held up quite well. It's 1.5 years old now and is still rattle free. I actually love driving this car when I get the chance.
Old 02-15-08, 05:18 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

all cars rattle eventually.
you may be lucky to get a car that is tight.
but even benz and bmw rattle.
i test drove a brand new 3 series that had some light rattles in the dash. didn't feel tight.
imagine after 10000 miles...

i have learned to be less **** about rattles. but i would like to learn how to disassemble my car and do some DIY rattle fixes.
Old 02-15-08, 06:17 AM
Q_Lexie
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My ES had some rattling issues until a couple of months ago, and they are gone now. I didn't even bring it to the dealer, but they just automatically disappeared. It had some rattles around dashboard, passenger seat window and moonroof. The rattle around the moonroof was so annoying. I haven't heard a single rattle from it since last October.
Old 02-15-08, 10:35 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
My Bimmer is rock solid and quite quiet.
Bimmer isn't a luxury car.

Anyhow, X5 4.8i has been rattle free, and I drove LS460l a few days ago and it was whisper quiet.

SO, it's not a growing trend with luxury cars.
Old 02-15-08, 11:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STIG
Bimmer isn't a luxury car.

Anyhow, X5 4.8i has been rattle free, and I drove LS460l a few days ago and it was whisper quiet.
No arguements there. The LS460 is one of the finest cars in the world.

I also agree that German cars, in general, tend to have fewer rattles than some American-designed ones (it varies, compared to Asian-designed cars). Chrysler products and some older GM designs seem to be the worst. The big problem with German designs is bad electronics, not rattles.
Old 02-15-08, 12:50 PM
HELLAFLUSH
Lead Lap

Rattles drive me crazy! Only because I was the one who would fix the complaints for customers. Haha.
Old 02-15-08, 12:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by HELLAFLUSH
Rattles drive me crazy! Only because I was the one who would fix the complaints for customers. Haha.
Are you a service technician, and is your job to fix rattles?
Old 02-15-08, 11:19 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
I'll just list the most recent cars I've driven:

'99 GS300 - so many rattles it drove me crazy. The dealer had to remove the dash and add foam to countless areas on the car. On the positive side, it had no mechanical issues for the seven years I owned the car.
Interesting. I still have my 99 Gs300 and also being in CA, I have NO rattles at all. Only a minor rubbing noise from seatbelt belt against the seat.

I've wondered about the rattles being more prominent in colder states

Brother in law's 745 has a dash sqeak/rubbing noise everytime you get in and out of the driveway or up a curb. Feels like the dashboard is flexing/twisting
Old 02-16-08, 05:18 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interior rattles are car making 101, they should NOT be present in a new car, worse in year after year productions of the same model.
Old 02-17-08, 12:12 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Lexus has shown a noticeable drop in build quality with both the new ES and IS models. I have written about it in my reviews of both. The dash rattles you speak of come primarily from lighter-weight, lower-quality interior materials and somewhat looser assembly. You will also notice that the new doors are also thinner and more tinny-feeling. The reason your new dash was rattle-free is that perhaps the dealer took the time to do a more thorough job installing it than at the factory.
The GS also has minor dash rattles. kind of upsetting. I had very high expectations when I bought this car. So far mechanically it is sound , but I get wind noise off the mirrors and a dash rattle. I hope they get their crap together quick. The market can be swayed by poor build quality. Just ask ford,GM, etc
Old 02-17-08, 09:37 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

our 2001 es has no rattles at all, its very quiet, except for wind noise, and our 2008 rx is free of rattles to, but out of these two, the quitest car is still the rock solid mb, many have said that when you close the door, it sounds like closing a vault, and it is true
Old 02-17-08, 10:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,412 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Cars are very complex. They will rattle, ESPECIALLY more, as more cars have FIRMER suspensions with LOW PROFILE tires.

Instead of cushy cars that won't squeak or rattle, we now have very tight cars, with stiff suspensions and stiff frames.

HArder to hide a rattle, when one does happen.

Also, EVERY company cuts costs.
My Ford Explorer has a stiff suspension, 18's (although not super low profile) and it honestly has not one squeak or rattle. I'm impressed. Our RX300 was great in that regard until it was about 4 years old. My GS400 had various squeaks and creaks partly self-induced by adding suspension parts.

Quick Reply: Rattles: Do you think they're also think they're a growing trend in luxury cars?