Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ultimate Nissan GT-R V-Spec in the works

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-08, 10:58 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Ultimate Nissan GT-R V-Spec in the works

Ultimate Nissan GT-R

The Japanese firm's uprated GT-R has the hardcore Porsche 911 GT2 firmly in its sights.

Auto Express Car Reviews
By Peter Lyon

12th February 2008

Thought the Nissan GT-R was already too hot to handle? Think again! Not content with the standard car’s blistering performance, the Japanese firm is developing a mighty V-Spec flagship – and we have all the details.

While the standard GT-R produces 473bhp, the range-topper is tipped to deliver a huge 550bhp from its twin-turbo 3.8-litre V6. The 16 per cent power boost will be matched by a substantial 150kg weight reduction to make the V-Spec one of the most hardcore supercars on the planet.

And the modifications won’t stop with performance upgrades – the body will get an aerodynamic make-over, too. Our picture shows how efficient the standard car is at slicing through the air, and a wild bodykit complete with side skirts and splitter will give the V-Spec maximum downforce at high speeds. Inside, the cabin will be stripped out to help reduce weight, but the dash-mounted touchscreen will remain. In fact, by the time the model arrives, the features available in the hi-tech system will be even more advanced, giving greater control of the set-up on the move.

Nissan has two very specific targets for the thrilling newcomer. Firstly, its engineers are desperate to complete a lap at Germany’s Nürburgring in less than seven minutes and 25 seconds, to take the circuit record.

And they are also keen to topple Porsche’s 911 GT2 and GT3 from the top of performance trackday wish lists. But the extra pace won’t come cheap. The GT-R is set to cost around £55,000 when it goes on sale in the UK in March 2009, and the V-Spec will add £20,000-plus to that. It will join the range before the end of next year
source
Old 02-13-08, 11:00 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Will this be the supposed Infiniti version?
Old 02-13-08, 11:07 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Highly doubt it, Infiniti = more luxury, will probably make it heavier.
They want the V-spec to be lighter & faster . . .
Old 02-13-08, 11:24 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

What will be the gearbox setup? I hope they offer true manual.
Old 02-13-08, 11:37 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

It's really disappointing that they were only able to trim 150kg off the vehicle; I hope that's not a final figure. I mean, to put it in perspective, the GT-R in base trim weighs as much as the IS-F which is already a tank as far as performance sedans go - not even to speak of supercars like the GT-R is trying to be! I'd like to have seen more weight come off, even at the expense of hp increase; besides being a Nissan, the weight of the base trim is the biggest turnoff to me. Still, they'll probably get great lap times on it, since that's what they're aiming for.

MSRP based on percentage increase looks to be $100k+.
Old 02-13-08, 12:37 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They gonna make it and probably deliver only like 100 units to the U.S. per year. Which means, if you thought the mark-ups on the "regular" GTR was bad.... .
Old 02-13-08, 12:49 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice a v-spec, gonna eat those porsche's
Old 02-13-08, 02:00 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Looks good, the design is starting to grow on me! Those wheels look very similar to the ones they used in the concept car several years ago.
Old 02-13-08, 02:06 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

IMO I think the weight is good for a vehicle with AWD, and all those sensors to run the telemetry data on the screen. The laptimes for the car speak for itself despite the weight.

IMO to reduce weight even more they should offer carbon ceramic discs, thats easy weight saved, and more importantly unsprung weight
Old 02-13-08, 02:11 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

The result is what we should focus on. We shouldn't care if the GTR is heavier than the IS-F...it still crushes it in performance. I couldn't care if the V-spec came in at 8000lbs...if it can get 7:25 at the 'ring, more power to Nissan
Old 02-13-08, 02:23 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
The result is what we should focus on.
Why, because the moment any of us gets a GT-R, we're going to go race it at Nür?

Originally Posted by EZZ
We shouldn't care if the GTR is heavier than the IS-F...it still crushes it in performance. I couldn't care if the V-spec came in at 8000lbs...if it can get 7:25 at the 'ring, more power to Nissan
Right, because all that matters in driving experience is how fast a car can get around the Nürburgring. Internet stat drivers FTW!
Old 02-13-08, 02:36 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gengar
Why, because the moment any of us gets a GT-R, we're going to go race it at Nür?

Right, because all that matters in driving experience is how fast a car can get around the Nürburgring. Internet stat drivers FTW!
The Nür is a perfectly legitimate metric for performance...and the GTR is a performance car. ****** and moan about a car's weight with performance like the GTR FTL
Old 02-13-08, 02:47 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
The Nür is a perfectly legitimate metric for performance...
... and I've never suggested otherwise. But as your stated be-all end-all as a performance metric, it's not at all relevant to driving experience factors (nor our driving experience, unless "we" all are going to go drive it at Nür).

Originally Posted by EZZ
and the GTR is a performance car. ****** and moan about a car's weight with performance like the GTR FTL
If your driving satisfaction and experience is based solely on how fast a test driver was able to drive a similar car at Nür, then have fun in your 8000-lb tank and all the more power to you.
Old 02-13-08, 03:03 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gengar
... and I've never suggested otherwise. But as your stated be-all end-all as a performance metric, it's not at all relevant to driving experience factors (nor our driving experience, unless "we" all are going to go drive it at Nür).
Driving experience? The 'ring times are a performance metric like any other and yes, it is relevant to my "experience" factors. If I want "fast" and something that handles "well" I'll most likely take a car that did well on the ring than one that did not. I think the 'ring times are a better indicator of performance than a 1/4th time or a skidpad rating so to me, it is a very relevant experience factor.

If you don't want a race-car, go get a Lexus
Old 02-13-08, 03:31 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
Driving experience? The 'ring times are a performance metric like any other and yes, it is relevant to my "experience" factors. If I want "fast" and something that handles "well" I'll most likely take a car that did well on the ring than one that did not.
So now it's just "most likely"? OK, whatever.

You don't need to be so defensive to the point that you feel the need to make barbs about Lexus or the IS-F either. I never said the GT-R isn't a great car. As I stated originally, I just think they didn't tap the potential on the V-Spec as far as weight reductions and that's very disappointing.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Nissan GT-R V-Spec in the works