Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How to improve my Gasmileage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-08, 11:37 AM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to improve my Gasmileage?

Can some of you CL members tell me, what i need to change so i can get better mileage.... because im barely hitting 200, on a FULL tank to the gaslight coming on, and that sucks.
Old 02-13-08, 11:38 AM
Jedidiah
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a problem..... you doing stop and go city driving all day?

I have a GS4 and consistently get 300-350 with 70/30 hwy/cty.
Old 02-13-08, 11:41 AM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you drive solo vinh :] less pppl and stuff to weight the car down, and you're not at school right now ?!
Old 02-13-08, 11:44 AM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jedidiah
Thats a problem..... you doing stop and go city driving all day?

I have a GS4 and consistently get 300-350 with 70/30 hwy/cty.

60 percent city. the other freeway. even if it is city, i should be getting around 230 miles shouldnt i ?
Old 02-13-08, 12:07 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

De-junk your car. Anything that is not a necessity, take out. Keep your tires properly inflated (try using nitrogen instead of O2 to fill your tires. nitrogen is a larger molecule and will escape less easily from your rubber, keeping your tire psi more stable and longer lasting). Keep you car tuned: clean air filter, working MAF and O2 sensors, oil, tranny fluid, spark plugs, etc. Keep your A/C off and windows rolled up to reduce your drag coefficient.

Change your driving habits. Warm your engine before driving. When running errands, do them all at once, pick the farthest errand first, then move your way down the list the closer the spots are to your intitial starting point. You obtain optimium mileage when your engine is in its closed loop cycle. Don't jackrabbit from redlight to redlight. Coast more and break less. Anticipate the driver in front of you and anticipate red lights and green lights. Dont break as much around turns and off ramps, thus keeping your momentum (suspension mods help ). Remember, whenever u have to break, you have to re-accelerate, thus requiring more energy. More energy = More gas.

Drive slower and go steady on the gas pedal. When engaging a large incline, keep the gas steady and at a constant rate. When on a decline, barely touch the gas and if your already up to speed, just coast. (this is where properly inflated tires help, it allows you to coast longer. Its analagous to riding a bike w/ flat tires or full tires, which one requires more energy?).

There are also less "legal" methods like blowing stops signs and taking off side mirrors, but I wont get into that, and I think its retarded. The methods above do work and will save you money and wear and tear on your car in the long run.
Old 02-13-08, 12:19 PM
Zishan
Driver

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
When running errands, do them all at once, pick the farthest errand first, then move your way down the list the closer the spots are to your intitial starting point.

Good points. But this one above, wouldn't it make sense to run the closest errand first, and so on. This way, if you run out of time/stores start closing, you didn't drive out to the furthest point.
Old 02-13-08, 12:28 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
De-junk your car. Anything that is not a necessity, take out. Keep your tires properly inflated (try using nitrogen instead of O2 to fill your tires. nitrogen is a larger molecule and will escape less easily from your rubber, keeping your tire psi more stable and longer lasting). Keep you car tuned: clean air filter, working MAF and O2 sensors, oil, tranny fluid, spark plugs, etc. Keep your A/C off and windows rolled up to reduce your drag coefficient.

Change your driving habits. Warm your engine before driving. When running errands, do them all at once, pick the farthest errand first, then move your way down the list the closer the spots are to your intitial starting point. You obtain optimium mileage when your engine is in its closed loop cycle. Don't jackrabbit from redlight to redlight. Coast more and break less. Anticipate the driver in front of you and anticipate red lights and green lights. Dont break as much around turns and off ramps, thus keeping your momentum (suspension mods help ). Remember, whenever u have to break, you have to re-accelerate, thus requiring more energy. More energy = More gas.

Drive slower and go steady on the gas pedal. When engaging a large incline, keep the gas steady and at a constant rate. When on a decline, barely touch the gas and if your already up to speed, just coast. (this is where properly inflated tires help, it allows you to coast longer. Its analagous to riding a bike w/ flat tires or full tires, which one requires more energy?).

There are also less "legal" methods like blowing stops signs and taking off side mirrors, but I wont get into that, and I think its retarded. The methods above do work and will save you money and wear and tear on your car in the long run.
thanks man, ill coast more and check my tires. is there anything else i can do? do you think its my fuel injectors? do i need fuel injector cleaner? i have a short ram with a AEM dry filter on it. i just cleaned it last week
Old 02-13-08, 12:34 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Zishan
Good points. But this one above, wouldn't it make sense to run the closest errand first, and so on. This way, if you run out of time/stores start closing, you didn't drive out to the furthest point.
We're not talking about store closing times here, but gas mileage. When you drive 2 the farthest point first, you give your engine time to heat up to closed loop cycle.

Originally Posted by vinhcibLe
thanks man, ill coast more and check my tires. is there anything else i can do? do you think its my fuel injectors? do i need fuel injector cleaner? i have a short ram with a AEM dry filter on it. i just cleaned it last week
Naw fuel injector cleaner(s) are bull. I dont use any additives at all.. Just 91 Chevron or Shell ;]
Old 02-13-08, 01:06 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check to see if any of your brakes are draging. Are they putting in around 14 gal of gas when the light goes on? I have a GS430, mostly stock except for a K&N intake and I get around 23MPG which is around 100 miles per 1/4 tank BUT I drive mostly highway. What size wheels you rollin?
Old 02-13-08, 01:16 PM
VIPtint
Pole Position

i have a GS3 and i get about 275 to the fillup. all city driving.
Old 02-13-08, 01:22 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what kinda wheels do you have on it? heavy wheels? do you need new spark plugs? when was the last time you took your vehicle in for maintenance?

i try to drive in a way where I brake the least amount possible. so if i see a red light coming up, i don't gas it, i just keep a steady pace just in case it turns but i let off the gas far enough in advance that i don't have to press too hard on my brakes to stop at the light. my brake pads have lasted over 50k and i consistently get 290-310 miles per tank before i gas up in my 1998 gs3.
Old 02-13-08, 01:29 PM
VM 2
Pole Position

i thought that most intakes will make the ecu go nuts and run rich?
Old 02-13-08, 02:22 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

If the intake is not properly tuned for your car...as in MAF housing diameter. Then the car will not run properly, or at least not optimally. Do a test by throwing on the stock intake back on the car. Go through a tank or two to see if your gas mileage increases...if it does then you know your problem. If you still want to use that intake afterwards then you need to install and tune a SAFC to correct the bad readings the MAF is getting. Not only will you gain in gas mileage, but you will gain power as well
Old 02-13-08, 02:42 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cliffud
what kinda wheels do you have on it? heavy wheels? do you need new spark plugs? when was the last time you took your vehicle in for maintenance?

i try to drive in a way where I brake the least amount possible. so if i see a red light coming up, i don't gas it, i just keep a steady pace just in case it turns but i let off the gas far enough in advance that i don't have to press too hard on my brakes to stop at the light. my brake pads have lasted over 50k and i consistently get 290-310 miles per tank before i gas up in my 1998 gs3.
EXACTLY This method is the idea. Coast more and brake less. Keep your momentum. Saves gas and brakes.

A lighter wheel and tire setup will drastically improve mileage as well. I forgot to mention this. When I threw my 19's on from the stock 16's, I noticed a substantial loss in mileage (well not substantial but noticeable) and a very substantial loss in acceleration. You gotta give to get.
Old 02-13-08, 03:45 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Here's a great thread by fellow CL member mmarshall posted in Car Chat

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177157

Quick Reply: How to improve my Gasmileage?