Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-08, 03:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review: 2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD

By CL member request, a review of the 2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD

http://www.infiniti.com/ex/index.html

In a Nutshell: Very impressive, and one of the most nicely-done small-to-medium size car-based SUV's on the market, but some visibility and interior room lost to styling.

Nissan and Infiniti, like most automakers these days, are not newcomers to the car-based SUV market, having had prior experience with the Murano, FX45, and, to some extent, the first-generation Pathfinder and QX4 (the 1st-gen Pathfinder/QX4 were unibody, not ladder-frame, and the QX4 had full-time AWD). The second-generation Pathfinder, in reverse of most SUV's these days, reverted back to the truck/ladder frame, but finally got the full-time AWD. The brother Nissan XTerra was a loner...it was always a hard-core, truck-based off-roader, and still is i the second-gen model. The much larger Nissan Armada/Infiniti QX56 SUV's are based off the full-size Nissan Titan pickup; all three are built in the notorious, problem-plagued Canton, Mississippi plant, and, not surprisingly, have been quite unreliable...but that has not been the case with smaller Nissan/Infiniti trucks and SUV's, which have generally held up pretty well.

I have never been a fan of the larger Infiniti FX35/45 series. I didn't like their bathtub-like styling (that, of course, is subjective), their somewhat harsh suspension/tires (they were softened slightly for the later models), and their interior fit/finish, which I thought was too much like cheap, entry-level Nissans. Nissan has addressed some of these concerns in the newer FX series, but they still don't impress me that much for the money. But, I am, of course, not the only voice in the automotive market, and, for whatever reasons, they DID impress enough potential car-shoppers to sell pretty well.......well enough that the product-planners at Nissan, and their bosses at Renault, decided that there was a market for a somewhat smaller, less-expensive version. That, and the all-new-this-year Nissan Rogue small SUV, provided the basis for the EX35's introduction. Nissan PR people claim that the Rogue and EX35 were not done on the same platform; that each was developed independently of the other. After looking at both (I have looked at the Rogue but not driven it), I'm not convinced. I don't think Nissan/Infiniti would have spent the money and resources to develop two completely different platforms for two all-new SUV's almost the same size. while the EX35 blows the Rogue away in terms of fit/finish and plushness (the Rogue is quite stark and cheap-looking inside), and the two body styles are a little different, too much else among these two vehicles appears too similiar (to me, at least) for them to be from different platforms.

So, that brings us to the EX35....and the review request. The EX35, as stated above, generally undercuts the slightly larger FX series in the Infiniti line-up, but even so, are not cheap, and some of its pricing, for loaded models, overlaps the range of the FX35. But, I found the EX35 superior in fit/finish, driving pleasure, and all-around execution to their larger FX brothers. The EX35 was, generally, a pleasure to review and drive. It is extremely plush for its size, inside and out, with superb fit/finish and quality of materials, and has near-BMW road manners. The very short list of MINUSES below shows how little I found to really complain about with this vehicle, though the power steering feel, rear-end styling/space efficiency, and rear seat foot/legroom could be a little better.

Two models of the EX35 are offered, both under the name "Journey"...a base RWD version, starting at $34,850, and an AWD model starting at $36,250. Both use the same engine and transmission.....the ubiquitous but well-done Nissan/Infiniti 3.5 liter V6, which has become the corporation's bread-and-butter engine, and a Sport-Shift 5-speed automatic. I chose the AWD model for the review....not only is it the version most people would be looking at, especially in bad-weather areas, but its low ($1400) additional price over the RWD model makes it somewhat of a bargain as well.

I generally enjoyed this review..........so let's get to the details:

Model Reviewed: 2008 Infiniti Ex35 AWD Journey

Base Price: $36,250

Major Options:

Roof rails: $200

Premium Package: $2150

Navigation Package: $2150

Wood trim: $450

Accessories:

Splash guards: $116

Roof-Rail crossbars: $250

Cargo rear protector: $70

Destination: $815 (this is a hefty destination fee compared to some of its competition)

List Price as Reviewed: $42,451

Exterior Color: Dark Currant

Interior: Wheat Leather/Maple wood trim

Drivetrain:

AWD, longitudinal-mounted DOHC, VTEC 3.5L V6, 297 HP @ 6800 RPM, Torque 253 ft-lbs. @ 4800 RPM,
5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode and Downshift Rev Matching.

PLUSSES:

Scratch-Shield (?) paint.

Wide choice of interior colors and trim.

slick, well-done paint job.

Dull but classy exterior paint colors.

Torquey, well-done, but not muscle-car-strong V6 engine.

AWD model a bargain at only $1400 more than base model.

Nice, attractive white/blue-ring gauges.

Well-done wheel-well and lower-body protection from debris.

Firm, responsive brakes.

BMW-style handling and steering response.

Superb interior fit/finish.

Nice seat leather.

Well-done controls/buttons/displays.

Good-quality hardware, inside and out.

Fairly quiet ride except on acceleration.

Firm, but not harsh, suspension has good ride/handling compromise.

Precise-closing, tank-solid doors (a rarity with new vehicles).

Large exterior mirrors aid visibility.

Somewhat better looking (IMO) than its larger cousin FX35/45 series.

MINUSES:

Overboosted power steering.

Rear roofline and D-pillars compromise visibility and rear cargo room.

Poor rear-seat legroom and footroom with front seat aft.

Sardine-can engine fit and plastic engine cover limit access underhood.

Some extra-cost dealer-installed accessories should be standard.

Temporary spare tire.

EXTERIOR:

Since the EX series was introduced as a smaller brother to the FX series, it is no surprise that the two share some styling trends, especially in the rear end. As you first walk up to the two of them, they are quite similiar in the rear and side profiles, though the front ends are quite different. I personally think the EX35 is far better looking up front.....it shares the basic front styling with the G35 and M35/45 series, which IMO is not bad-looking at all. The paint job, while not entirely free of orange peel, has only a minimal amount, and is slick, glossy, and generally well-done....this is a major advancement for Infiniti, whose paint jobs just a few years ago definitely needed work. The doors, unlike those of many new vehicles where cost-cutting and weight-reduction is an issue, are solid, well-hung, and close with a precise feel and "thunk" (like on the superb-quality Acura RL, you don't really appreciate this until you see a lot of the tinniness and ever-thinning doors on so many other new cars). The exterior sheet metal is, likewise, solid and well-done, and the hood and hatch cover both close solidly and securely as well. The outside hardware/trim is also very well-done, with a solid feel, nice finish, and an overall slick feel. Like most vehicles these days, it is plastic hardware, but doesn't really have a cheap plastic feel, especially in the chrome parts. The two outside mirrors, which both have solid-feeling housings (a weak point on many vehicles, particularly domestic ones) swivel easily and securely, and are large enough to aid rear vision. A dark gray band of vinyl cladding not only protects the lower-body panels, but, like on some Subarus, runs up and around the wheel-arches and inside the wells to ward off paint damage and discoloration from road debris; splash guards, which my test vehicle had, are a dealer-installed ($116) option, which, IMO, should be standard....though the cladding is extensive and well-done enough that the splash guards may not be needed. The only thing I really disliked outside was the rear-end styling, with its sharply raked rear roofline and thick, triangular-shaped D-pillars........they, and the Peeping-Tom rear window, seriously compromise the rearward view while backing up, though NAV models have a rear-view camera to help compensate for that somewhat (more on that below). The rear cargo room is also compromised (again, more on that below).

Paint colors, like many vehicles today, are rather dull but classy, and offer a fairly wide choice. In spite of my well-known dislike for dull colors, I actually liked all of them, which is a rarity, except the black (I never care for black, even on hearses and limos). The Infiniti website doesn't depict the color chips well...you have to see them in person or in the brochure. My test car was a dark reddish-brown color called Dark Currant that I found one of the most attractive.....somewhat like the Cocoa Metallic you see on the Buick Enclave, but darker and even more classy. Infiniti has also come up with a new "Scratch-Shield" formula for the paint...time, of course, will tell how well it actually works on the road.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the solid-feeling, gas-strut-supported hood, with its thick underhood insulation pad, and underneath lies the same ubiquitous 3.5L Nissan/Infiniti V6 that has been around for years (the EX35, surprisingly, did not get the new 3.7L version that the G37 did), in this version tuned for 297 HP and 253 ft-lbs of torque. The longitudinal-mounted engine fits underhood very tightly (maybe one reason it did not get the 3.7), and that, together with the large plastic engine cover and plastic compartment panels, limits access to almost everything but a couple of basic dipsticks and fluid reservoirs. This is definitely not a do-it-yourself car...even the battery is sealed under a cover. But many car owners today, especially those of luxury-nameplate manufactures, don't do much work underhood anyway......service technicians do most of the work under lifts.

INTERIOR:

The interior of this car, for the most part, was a real treat, and far, far better than some of its competitors. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING felt tinny or cheap. The first treat is the solid, no-tinniness thud when the doors close. Then you find yourself sitting on nice, smooth, soft, luxurious-feeling leather (none of the cheap look, feel, or graininess of the leather some manufacturers use). The seats themselves are comfortable, multi-adjustable many different ways, and have a reasonable level of support, though not up to sports-car bolstered levels. There are four different leather colors offered, and a choice of textured black lacquer/aluminum or optional Maplewood trim......my test car had the beige (wheat) leather and Maplewood. I didn't like the polished wood trim in the EX35 quite as much as the gorgeous low-finish matte wood in the M35/45, but it was classy, high quality, and well-done. Everything felt solid and well-made.....steering wheel, buttons/controls, hardware, and trim. The climate-control buttons were plastic, but didn't have the ready-to-fall-off feel that some new vehicles have, like those on the Camry and Tundra. The stereo, integrated with the NAV system, was nice.....well above average, but not quite to Mark Levinson level (I know...I continually use that comparison in reviews, but the fact is that the Lexus Mark Levinson units are simply the best). Everything was well-marked and easy to read.....even the notoriously difficult NAV system and its integrated buttons, while (yes) difficult, was not as difficult to use as some others I've seen. The gauges, while not quite BMW-perfect, were attractive and easy on the eyes with the white numbering, clear figures, and nice blue rings.

Headroom was fine up front with the front seat cushions adjuststed low, even with the sunroof housing. Legroom and footroom up front, with the front seats moved back was fine......more than even some NBA guys probably would need. But the penalty, of course, is that when you do move the front seats way back, the result is severely cramped legroom and footroom in the back. I'm 6' 2" and have a size-15 shoe...with the front seat all the way back, it was simply impossible for me to get in and sit. Rear headroom was OK (marginal) for guys my size in a baseball cap, but probably not so for anyone taller.....the sharply-sloped rear roofline limits the rear ceiling height. While the EX35 interior, fit/finish/quality-wise, is probably the best interior in its class, consider it a 2+2....two adults in front, two small adults or two to three small children in the rear.

But, for those up front.....ENJOY. This interior is money well-spent.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Open the solidly-constructed hatchback cover and, like the interior in general, you will find a very well-finished, though inefficient, cargo area. The carpeting on the floor and walls is a soft, plush, high-quality grade, there are power-switches on the right wall to lower both halves of the 40/60 split rear seat, and the pull-shade for the cargo cover has a chromed-plastic handle (the plastic doesn't feel cheap). A couple of flaws, though. The aforementioned sharp rear roofline severely cuts into rear cargo space...forget about carrying much in the way of tall objects. The temporary spare tire/wheel under the floor, at this price (over $42,000) should be a real one instead. The dealer-installed, vinyl $70 cargo-floor cover should be standard......Subaru makes one standard in the Outback Sport at half of this price ($21,000). And, like on some other vehicles, the rear wiper arm does not twist out far enough from the rear window to make for easy rear-wiper-blade changes.

ON THE ROAD:

Start the 3.5L V6 with a proximity key in the area and the dash-mounted starter button. The electronics take a couple of seconds (a little longer than in most cars) to cycle the computers, check out the car's systems, and kick the starter over, with the usual Christmas-tree show of lights on the dash. The engine fires up with the smoothness and refinement this powerplant is well-known for, though it is not Lexus-quiet, and the engineers have left in some exhaust noise. Once warmed up and ready to go (it was a freezing morning here in the DC area, but the sun was out), it gives good power and a reasonable amount of torque....not muscle-car quick, but enough to push you back in your seat. Though you would be wise to turn down stoplight offers from high-powered sports cars and sports sedans, the engine is nothing to be ashamed of....it will easily get out of its own way, though the almost 4000 lb curb weight, the power-robbing automatic transmission, and the added drag of AWD do take some toll. The power delivery is smooth and refined, but, like the idle, not particularly quiet....you do notice exhaust chuffle and drone, especially on hard acceleration.

The 5-speed transmission has no significant problems, whether in full-auto mode of in the manual-shift gate. Shifts are smooth yet firm enough to be efficient, though the gearbox is obviously not set up for really hard driving or shifting. The steering wheel lacks shift paddles, but the slick-moving shift lever works well and doesn't feel cheap or tinny. One thing I wished for, also on my own Outback, was a separate gate or slot for the AutoSport and Automanual positions. Sometimes, when the two share the same gate (the smaller gate to the right or left of the main PRND gate), you don't know which gear you are in when first slide the lever over into AutoSport. Only AFTER you shift up or down manually do the number indicators show you the actual gear you are in.

The suspension and chassis is easily one of the car's best points. An excellent combination of ride and handling, the nice, moderately high-profle 60-series tires (55 on some versions) cushion sharp bumps and impacts but are not Grandpa-soft. And the well-engineered chassis, with its stabilizer bars, double-wishbone front and multilink/coil rear suspension does an excellent job of cornering response and dampening body roll....sharp corners give almost no lean at all, despite the higher-than-sedan center of gravity. It would have felt more or less like a BMW X3 or X5 if it had not been for one main flaw...too much novicaine in the power steering from overboost. That deadened the steering/road feel and allowed you, very un-BMW-like, to watch but not actually feel the car's excellent suspension/chassis characteristics and cornering. Fortunately, my test car didn't have Infiniti's annoying Lane Departure Warning and Lane Departure Prevention features.....they are part of the optional Technology package. I've had experience with them in other Infinitis (most recently the special M45 Christmas review I did in December), and, to put it bluntly, they are a pain in the a**.......fortunately, they can be switched off.

The noise level on the road, except for some engine/exhaust noise on acceleration and a very small amount of tire noise, was low. Wind noise was also well-muted (I couldn't detect much if any at legal speeds), possibly from the earlier-mentioned thick, solid doors and good insulation/seals. It was not to the Lexus LS460 level of quietness, but a long trip on the Interstate certainly will not tire you out like the constant loud droning and bumpiness of a Miata or Honda S2000.

Brakes......again, one of the car's good features. There were no problems with my big size-15 clown shoes catching on either the brake or gas pedals while lifting them back and forth. Response was smooth and even, with good pedal modulation and a distinct lack of pedal-sponginess, almost to the level of a good German sports sedan. But, of course, with this type of vehicle, don't expect Porsche 911-type stopping distances...you still can't tailgate the guy in front of you.

Backing up, in reverse, due to the big triangular D-Pillars, low rear roofline, and Peek-a-Boo rear window, takes some caution, even for someone like me who is used to jumping into, driving, and manuvering many different vehicles. But on NAV-equipped models, a rear-view camera helps, with the picture projected on the NAV screen with yellow boundary-markers. Just one more function compromised to the God of aero-style.

THE VERDICT?

Needless to repeat here, I was very pleased with this new vehicle. It addresses many of the notorious Nissan/Infiniti fit/finish problems of the past. It provides, for the most part, an excellent, BMW-like driving experience, though the power steering needs a little less boost to fully enjoy it. It delivers well in areas many other vehicles today are weak in.....body/door solidness, hardware quality, interior comfort, etc... But check the back seat and cargo area out carefully before buying...if you regularly carry large adults in back or large things in the cargo area, this may not be the car for you. And if you don't get the NAV package with its rearview camera, make sure you can see adequately to park while backing up....replacement body and bumper parts for a vehicle like this are not cheap. And, yes, a couple of minor quibbles with some extra-cost, dealer-installed things needing to be standard.

But, overall, Infiniti has done a superb job with this new vehicle. I was impressed with it when I first saw it in the auto press and read about it on CL and in the auto mags, was more impressed with it when I saw it at the Washington, DC Auto Show last month, and was even more impressed when I drove it. It is generally more than I personally would want to spend on a new car, but I could not rule out owning one myself.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-14-08 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-14-08, 03:53 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks like another great review, thanks! I only had time to read the interior part but from what you said and the pictures it looks very, very impressive. I'll get to the rest shortly...
Old 02-14-08, 04:04 PM
LexFather

Very good read and I do want to check one out b/c of the interior. Base price is too high and as tested at 42k is ridiculous. I've seen 0 down $349 (or something like that) lease rates, that is the ONLY thing that will save this from rusting on dealer lots.

So basically its like an IS wagon, stylish (to those that like it), quick, agile, luxurious, awful rear seat room.

Noble effort, maybe it will do well in Europe, where SUV sales are rising like how they did in America a decade ago. Amazing how carlike these CUVs ar getting.

Old 02-14-08, 04:07 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is the one I was waiting for.
Thank you!
Old 02-14-08, 04:19 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I was waiting for this review too!! Thanks!!

I'm glad to hear you find the EX such a good all around car. I'm definitely considering one to replace my Acura MDX, as the MDX is really too big for 99% of my needs. The EX35 interior also looks a step above the more expensive MDX in terms of quality of materials used. Both the MDX and the EX35 I think could stand to benefit from a 6 speed automatic transmission.

Did you notice any over aggressiveness on throttle tip in? I remember it being an issue on the G35 when it first came out, but heard Infiniti maybe have reprogrammed it since then. Basically the car would jump off the line, making smooth accelerations from a stop difficult.
Old 02-14-08, 05:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Very good read and I do want to check one out b/c of the interior. Base price is too high and as tested at 42k is ridiculous. I've seen 0 down $349 (or something like that) lease rates, that is the ONLY thing that will save this from rusting on dealer lots.
Of course leases will keep this vehicle going.....they do with most luxury nameplates. Still, even on a purchase (though, like you, 42K is more than I would spend), I'd rather have a 42K EX35 than a 42K FX35...I think the vehicle is that much better.

So basically its like an IS wagon, stylish (to those that like it), quick, agile, luxurious, awful rear seat room.
Yes, more or less.....except that the IS doesn't offer that body style any more (they tried it with the SportCross and it was a flop) or offer AWD with a 3.5 like the EX.....you have to take AWD with the 2.5

Noble effort, maybe it will do well in Europe, where SUV sales are rising like how they did in America a decade ago. Amazing how carlike these CUVs ar getting.
Europe will probably get versions we don't.....probably a diesel.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-14-08 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-14-08, 05:33 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Thanks for another nice review, I haven't driven it yet (not really interested in it enough to), but I've sat in it, & the interior is very nice though rear passenger & cargo room kinda smallish.
Old 02-14-08, 05:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
I was waiting for this review too!! Thanks!!

I'm glad to hear you find the EX such a good all around car. I'm definitely considering one to replace my Acura MDX, as the MDX is really too big for 99% of my needs. The EX35 interior also looks a step above the more expensive MDX in terms of quality of materials used. Both the MDX and the EX35 I think could stand to benefit from a 6 speed automatic transmission.
You also could consider the smaller Acura RDX. Like the EX35, it has snappy handling...but its ride is a little harsher. The turbo four gives it as much or more punch as the EX35's V6...and, unlike most Honda/Acura engines, it felt even torquier at low RPM's. But the RDX doesn't have the EX35's wood trim or interior plushness, and its overall fit/and finish, while good, wasn't quite up to the EX35's.

I don't think adding one more gear to the transmission will make all that much difference.....as I stated in the review, I think that separate gates for the AutoSport and Automanual functions would be a better revision.

Did you notice any over aggressiveness on throttle tip in? I remember it being an issue on the G35 when it first came out, but heard Infiniti maybe have reprogrammed it since then. Basically the car would jump off the line, making smooth accelerations from a stop difficult.
Yes, slightly....thanks for asking that. I forgot to mention that in the review. But it wasn't a big deal, and, on my car, generally lessened as the engine warmed up. I noticed it a lot more on the Toyota Sequoia last week...and noted it in the review.

Engineers sometimes do that to try and make the vehicle feel like it has a larger engine and more torque that it really has.
Old 02-14-08, 05:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
this is the one I was waiting for.
Thank you!
Anytime. That's what I'm here for.
Old 02-14-08, 06:32 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review, Mike. The EX generated a lot of "buzz" over on the RDX forum I also frequent. There was a lot of anticipation, and then a lot of disappointment when the vehicle actually came out. The usual dings are for cramped interior space and tiny cargo capacity, making it not really a competitor to the RDX, X3, upcoming GLK, etc.

The interior does look beautiful in pictures, and I'm glad to hear it looks as good in real life. Perhaps this will cause Acura to step up the quality of materials in their lower-end cars as well, which is one of the few areas with which I'm less than thrilled with my RDX.

I'm curious why Infiniti found it necessary to badge this thing the EX rather than calling it a G35 Wagon, but whatever. It sounds like another solid competitor and I'm sure it will fit many consumers' needs.
Old 02-14-08, 06:36 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

I really see no reason to buy this over a G35x sedan unless you need to frequently load large boxes in your vehicle, which is not the case for me.
I would just pay for delivery if I buy a TV, or similar stuff, which is very infrequent . . .
Old 02-14-08, 06:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robarapta
I really see no reason to buy this over a G35x sedan unless you need to frequently load large boxes in your vehicle, which is not the case for me.
I would just pay for delivery if I buy a TV, or similar stuff, which is very infrequent . . .
Well, the cargo area in this vehicle, like I said, is also compromised by the rear roofline, so you might not get that big wide-screen TV in either way (depending on how big it is, of course), even dropping the rear seats.

But it DOES offer more winter and deep-snow capability then G35X AWD sedans, because of the higher ground clearance and better lower-body cladding to ward off paint damage from salt and abrasives (The Scratch-Shield paint, of course, may also help). Deep snow, however, is something you probably don't see often in the Pacific Coast area you live in.
Old 02-14-08, 07:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Iceman
Thanks for the review, Mike. The EX generated a lot of "buzz" over on the RDX forum I also frequent. There was a lot of anticipation, and then a lot of disappointment when the vehicle actually came out. The usual dings are for cramped interior space and tiny cargo capacity, making it not really a competitor to the RDX, X3, upcoming GLK, etc.
Interior space is fine.....even ample......in the front seats, but like I pointed out in the review, extremely cramped in back if the front seats are pushed back. And the roofline does compromise part of the cargo area. People want that aero-look and humpback-rooflines, they pay the price.

The interior does look beautiful in pictures, and I'm glad to hear it looks as good in real life. Perhaps this will cause Acura to step up the quality of materials in their lower-end cars as well, which is one of the few areas with which I'm less than thrilled with my RDX.
The EX35's interior not only looks good but feels good as well. But your RDX is not bad inside either. Being a Honda/Acura product, it naturally has a high-quality interior and good workmanship, but it is a colder and more metallic high-tech look, without the EX35's warmness.

I'm curious why Infiniti found it necessary to badge this thing the EX rather than calling it a G35 Wagon, but whatever. It sounds like another solid competitor and I'm sure it will fit many consumers' needs.
It sits noticeably higher than even the AWD G35X sedan and has a somewhat different interior.....somewhat like the relationship between the lower-stance AWD Ford Five Hundred/Taurus sedan and its higher-stance AWD Freestyle wagon version. That's why Ford chose to give them two different designations...and probably why Infiniti chose to do the same.
Old 02-14-08, 07:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Thanks for another nice review, I haven't driven it yet (not really interested in it enough to), but I've sat in it, & the interior is very nice though rear passenger & cargo room kinda smallish.
It seems more to help with sales and Infiniti did state its aimed squarely at women. Whats funny is Lexus tried hard to get the 2RX to appeal more to men and women kept buying it.

This car was 42k tested, I don't see many people (women) buying something so limited with utility for that price, especially with larger competition out and the standard, the RX around.

We shall see in the coming months how sales go.....

Old 02-14-08, 07:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It seems more to help with sales and Infiniti did state its aimed squarely at women. Whats funny is Lexus tried hard to get the 2RX to appeal more to men and women kept buying it.

This car was 42k tested, I don't see many people (women) buying something so limited with utility for that price, especially with larger competition out and the standard, the RX around.

We shall see in the coming months how sales go.....
The Lexus RX is softer-riding, has more body lean, and doesn't handle like the EX35 does, though. It is also not as sedan-like in the dash and interior as the EX. The EX is like a BMW minus some steering feel. When males test-drive the EX, they may (?) end up buying it more than females.

Quick Reply: Review: 2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD