Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

14 Hottest Selling Vehicles, Jan, 08.. (5 are Lexus!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-08, 06:30 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Has nothing to do with inventory.

The list is about how long cars stay on dealer lots.

So when that LS or GX arrives off the truck, that is the average time it stays on the lot b4 being sold to a customer.

Now true, Lexus does a SUPERB job of keeping inventory at the best pace possible, so your dealer doesn't get screwed having 500 GXs on the lot, then having to yell on T.V about "Get a GX for $199 a month" and huge incentives offered b/c the truck is taking space for hotter selling vehicles.......

Leave that to the Infiniti dealer!! J/K
LMAO..., so true.
Old 02-15-08, 06:35 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure it's not Bentley? lol

"Bentley once meant raise your glass. Now it means, shake your ****" - Tom Ford.
Old 02-15-08, 06:49 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Funny, how this thread turn from " 14 hottest selling, to MB and BMW and rap music and what's next..lol.
Another funny thing is Lexus never give any free maintenance for the next 4 years,but it's still has 5 out of 14 hottest selling cars in Jan. I said hottest on the lot(by the #of day),not the the hottest by the number of car sold.
Another funny thing, 99% of the buyer that buy Lexus, MB and BMW not even know CL,MBworld, or Bimmerforum. We are only 1% of the car owners out there guys. You can compare the # of Lexus cars that sold since 1989 and divide by the # of the members in CL and you will have the figure....
Old 02-16-08, 05:25 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VVT-i
LMAO..., so true.
that kind of humor just leaves the door or window open on the $8,000 cash back, $6,000 and $4,000 on Lexus ads running left and right

I say who cares how they get those puppies off the lot.
Old 02-16-08, 06:22 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
that kind of humor just leaves the door or window open on the $8,000 cash back, $6,000 and $4,000 on Lexus ads running left and right

I say who cares how they get those puppies off the lot.
Show me such an ad, I have never seen one and would be very curious to see it.

Lexus dealers are the envy of the industry, unlike many companies that bicker and argue with dealers, Lexus and the dealers work together. Lexus just told the dealers "we need better showrooms, we got some incredible products coming and service bays need to be bigger" and dealers responded with over 1 billion dollars in renovations or moving to bigger fatalities nationwide.

You would be surprised how many car dealerships don't make money selling cars, b/c inventory is so high or rebates/deals are so abundant that they basically give the car away. These dealers make their money on parts and service.

Lexus (along with Porsche/BMW/Benz) makes money selling cars. This in turn keeps dealers happy and the latte flowing

On the flipside, we just had a thread where the DEALERS met with Lexus and said "hey guys, we cannot afford these new batches of quality problems, that is not what we built this company on". Lexus listened and has put quality on top the "things to do" list.

DEALER and SUCCESSFUL companies care how they get those cars off the lot. Cheap tactics or huge incentives help destroy your image as a credible luxury brand. Think GM and their huge incentives summers ago. Luxury should be desirable, if you have 8k off list, thats not desirable.

Also I don't think some luxury brands pick the right people for the job. They pick people used to selling Kias and using any tactic necessary and then bring this same technique to a luxury brand.

Its amazing when I see a Lexus dealer, the new cars are out front, the used cars on the side or at a separate lot. Acura/Infiniti dealers, they put the cars from other brands out front, have huge $199 banners out front and you think to yourself "that is a luxury dealership"

HUGE differences in execution and fantastic dealers are part of why Lexus is where it stands today as a Tier I luxury marque.

Old 02-16-08, 06:42 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Show me such an ad, I have never seen one and would be very curious to see it.

Lexus dealers are the envy of the industry, unlike many companies that bicker and argue with dealers, Lexus and the dealers work together. Lexus just told the dealers "we need better showrooms, we got some incredible products coming and service bays need to be bigger" and dealers responded with over 1 billion dollars in renovations or moving to bigger fatalities nationwide.

You would be surprised how many car dealerships don't make money selling cars, b/c inventory is so high or rebates/deals are so abundant that they basically give the car away. These dealers make their money on parts and service.

Lexus (along with Porsche/BMW/Benz) makes money selling cars. This in turn keeps dealers happy and the latte flowing

On the flipside, we just had a thread where the DEALERS met with Lexus and said "hey guys, we cannot afford these new batches of quality problems, that is not what we built this company on". Lexus listened and has put quality on top the "things to do" list.

DEALER and SUCCESSFUL companies care how they get those cars off the lot. Cheap tactics or huge incentives help destroy your image as a credible luxury brand. Think GM and their huge incentives summers ago. Luxury should be desirable, if you have 8k off list, thats not desirable.

Also I don't think some luxury brands pick the right people for the job. They pick people used to selling Kias and using any tactic necessary and then bring this same technique to a luxury brand.

Its amazing when I see a Lexus dealer, the new cars are out front, the used cars on the side or at a separate lot. Acura/Infiniti dealers, they put the cars from other brands out front, have huge $199 banners out front and you think to yourself "that is a luxury dealership"

HUGE differences in execution and fantastic dealers are part of why Lexus is where it stands today as a Tier I luxury marque.

Lexus of Melbourne and Lexus of Orlando are repeatedly running these cash back ads. If you want to see them you will likely have to go to the local TV affiliate websites to view them, WFTV, Fox and NBC local area affiliates. There are three different ads, 8k, 6k, 4k cash back. SC, GS, and ES and there may be others that I have not seen like one for LS as I usually watch cable news, cable channels rather than local affiliates but we had two things go on, one a terrible accident and another a young lady save herself from a car jacker and credits her MB and her salesperson with knowing what to do, so I tuned in for a couple of days.

As for the balance of your post that would take this way off topic instead of car lot length of time or means of moving out inventory.
Old 02-16-08, 06:46 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Lexus of Melbourne and Lexus of Orlando are repeatedly running these cash back ads. If you want to see them you will likely have to go to the local TV affiliate websites to view them, WFTV, Fox and NBC local area affiliates. There are three different ads, 8k, 6k, 4k cash back. SC, GS, and ES and there may be others that I have not seen like one for LS as I usually watch cable news, cable channels rather than local affiliates but we had two things go on, one a terrible accident and another a young lady save herself from a car jacker and credits her MB and her salesperson with knowing what to do, so I tuned in for a couple of days.

As for the balance of your post that would take this way off topic instead of car lot length of time or means of moving out inventory.
Well their dealer needs to be spanked b/c those ads are not permitted. I am sure Lexus is unaware of this practice. Thanks

Old 02-16-08, 06:50 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Well their dealer needs to be spanked b/c those ads are not permitted. I am sure Lexus is unaware of this practice. Thanks
Well, they have to do something to compete with those lesser dealerships you were going on about

Seriously, I think it's quality reports that has caused the need for this type of advertising and as for Lexus of Orlando, I doubt very seriously they would run these ads without the knowledge of Lexus.
Old 02-16-08, 06:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

^^^

Don't worry, X5 might be for baby mommas, but RX is for mommas. LOL
More than just mommas, Mike. I could see myself driving an RX if I get tired of Subarus.....IF Lexus doesn't screw it up like they did the new ES.
Old 02-16-08, 07:21 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
More than just mommas, Mike. I could see myself driving an RX if I get tired of Subarus.....IF Lexus doesn't screw it up like they did the new ES.
Oh it was a joke...Its a great vehicle, I cannot believe how much I like it. To be honest Mike, SUVs do come in handy, if I got an RX, 400h for me.....

This is for DaShocker.....go to the 50 second mark..

A lot of cars mentioned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fmrF7FPiYw

Old 02-16-08, 08:19 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has nothing to do with inventory.

The list is about how long cars stay on dealer lots.
This has everything to do with inventory. On that list, I think only the Prius and CRV (and a couple below) are true high volume cars.

The reason cars like the Camry and Accord are not on the list is because customers demand the car they want to be in stock, or else they'll just go to another dealer that for sure would have it. So dealers are left making sure they have one of each color in each trim. That completely drives up your inventory days, as if you have 20 come in on a truck, and 1 gets sold on the first day, that's 20 days right there. Wait a second day, it's 40 days of inventory.

Unlike the LX, where there might be 2 cars between 3 dealerships, every day one doesn't get sold only counts as 2 days of inventory for the sale.
Old 02-16-08, 02:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by sirkfc
This has everything to do with inventory. On that list, I think only the Prius and CRV (and a couple below) are true high volume cars.

The reason cars like the Camry and Accord are not on the list is because customers demand the car they want to be in stock, or else they'll just go to another dealer that for sure would have it. So dealers are left making sure they have one of each color in each trim. That completely drives up your inventory days, as if you have 20 come in on a truck, and 1 gets sold on the first day, that's 20 days right there. Wait a second day, it's 40 days of inventory.

Unlike the LX, where there might be 2 cars between 3 dealerships, every day one doesn't get sold only counts as 2 days of inventory for the sale.
That is not an inventory problem and you are confusing this list.

This list is not about how many VEHICLES you have on the lot. For instance if a dealer has 1000 LXs on their lot, it is saying, they will last 8 days on the lot.

If the dealer has 2 LXs on the lot, it is saying, they will last 8 days on the lot.

It is independent of how MANY are on the lot, thus why they are the HOTTEST selling.

Using your example, if a person goes to buy a LX at one dealer, and they are NOT getting the color/deal they want, it is saying, they WILL go to another dealer and buy a LX somewhere, thus on average, the LX sells in 8 days.

Old 02-16-08, 06:29 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

That is not an inventory problem and you are confusing this list.

This list is not about how many VEHICLES you have on the lot. For instance if a dealer has 1000 LXs on their lot, it is saying, they will last 8 days on the lot.

If the dealer has 2 LXs on the lot, it is saying, they will last 8 days on the lot.

It is independent of how MANY are on the lot, thus why they are the HOTTEST selling.

Using your example, if a person goes to buy a LX at one dealer, and they are NOT getting the color/deal they want, it is saying, they WILL go to another dealer and buy a LX somewhere, thus on average, the LX sells in 8 days.
Or, the dealer can tranfer the car you want from another dealer.
Old 02-16-08, 07:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I don't think this list has ANYTHING to do with something being a 'hottest seller' sorry Mike. We've had this thread before.

First off, your example of 1000 LXs on the lot is irrelevant because it will NEVER happen.

Lexus sold 710 LXs in January, and has what, 210 dealers? So that's 3.4 a dealer or selling one every 9 days. Anyway, this is irrelevant too.

What this list says to me is that Toyota does the best job of matching supply to demand. The LX for example, is hardly a 'hot' seller. Lexus is basically VERY stingy with supply to dealers providing just enough to meet demand with them knowing many customers will compromise and buy the configuration shipped to the dealer even if it's not exactly what the customer wants. Again they provide a tight supply to JUST meet demand providing a 'tension' which is actually useful in keeping margins high for dealers. If the dealer has 3 people wanting 2 vehicles they have little need to discount but that hardly means they have a hot seller!
Old 02-16-08, 08:17 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I don't think this list has ANYTHING to do with something being a 'hottest seller' sorry Mike. We've had this thread before.

First off, your example of 1000 LXs on the lot is irrelevant because it will NEVER happen.

Lexus sold 710 LXs in January, and has what, 210 dealers? So that's 3.4 a dealer or selling one every 9 days. Anyway, this is irrelevant too.

What this list says to me is that Toyota does the best job of matching supply to demand. The LX for example, is hardly a 'hot' seller. Lexus is basically VERY stingy with supply to dealers providing just enough to meet demand with them knowing many customers will compromise and buy the configuration shipped to the dealer even if it's not exactly what the customer wants. Again they provide a tight supply to JUST meet demand providing a 'tension' which is actually useful in keeping margins high for dealers. If the dealer has 3 people wanting 2 vehicles they have little need to discount but that hardly means they have a hot seller!
Thing is, let say Stingy Lexus sends each dealer 4 LXs. And well, they are undesirable and people DON'T want them. Then instead of taking 8 days to sell, it could be 20, 30, 50 days to sell.

The NUMBER of cars is related but not the main point. The point is, these 14 vehicles is what people want no matter if they sell 20,000 copies a year or 100,000.

Also, the LX is a limited production vehicle, not a volume seller.

Hell the Honda CR-V is on the list, they sell what, over 200,000 of those? So its not being "Stingy", Honda has a very popular car in demand with consumers.

Quick Reply: 14 Hottest Selling Vehicles, Jan, 08.. (5 are Lexus!!!)