Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Seven Killed in Street Racing Accident in Maryland

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-08, 01:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I know that stretch of road well.....it is not that far away from where I live across the river in VA. I also learned to fly in this area at a local small airport.

Racing has been a cult in Southern Maryland for decades. In fact, many of the mechanics/technicians that work at local dealerships in this area own modified performance cars on the side, like older Camaros and Mustangs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-16-08 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-16-08, 02:23 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Yes it was.
Says right in the article that it was not...
Old 02-16-08, 02:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This is a Repost.
Old 02-16-08, 02:25 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

^ This thread was posted first, though (referring to the other one in Car Chat). Should still be merged of course.
Old 02-16-08, 02:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Fine. Here's the other one:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=336453
Old 02-16-08, 02:32 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Very sad news, I had plans on going down there last night in the beater with some of the Supra guys but I fell asleep and from what I know some of the Supra guys went down there around 12 and didn't even park they just left because it was too packed. RIP to the victims.
Old 02-16-08, 02:34 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Yes it was.

People willing to watch street races should learn not to stand at the 'end' of the 'track'.....this wouldn't happen if you play it safe (as can be safe in a situation like this) and stay where cars are staging, rather than where cars are going 140mph, and losing control....
They weren't at the "end" of the track the two cars took off the crowd filled in on the road where they launched from with all the smoke from the launch and burn outs and the Crown Vic came from behind with no lights on and plowed the crowd.

You seem to always be concerned with issues and events over here when it says you're in CA
Old 02-16-08, 03:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PassSedanGLX
You want local perspective? These douchebags were about 30-40 minutes from Maryland International Raceway (Budds Creek Drags).

The season starts again in two weeks.

Modified by PassSedanGLX at 3:01 PM 2-16-2008
From another thread...sad...the track was so close by....

Old 02-17-08, 07:24 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NAZTY97
drag racing a town car... or whatever old school "non-race" car????

that's just plain ignorant... i guess if it has 4 wheels and an accelerator,... then it can be done....
The town car wasn't racing; the driver of the town car came upon the scene during the race and struck several pedestrians. The police believe that the town car's driver's vision was obscured by the smoke residue of the racers.
Old 02-17-08, 01:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You want local perspective? These douchebags were about 30-40 minutes from Maryland International Raceway (Budds Creek Drags).

The season starts again in two weeks.
Yeah, Budds Creek has been around for years. They almost sure had to have known about it.
Old 02-18-08, 06:36 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

We have worse street racing down here. I had a cousin in the Federal Highway Patrol (think of those guys in the first Mad Max movie) and they have to deal with all sorts of deadly races, not to mention the local police. What's stupid is that the roads down here are deadly enough themselves, but people continue to want to do it. A big problem for a long time down here, is that the local government would not support a local track, but now we do have one. As I lived in the DC area, I know there is one out in Bowie and one in La Plata, but still you have to offer closer legitimate options for those who want to race, that is step 1.
Old 02-18-08, 08:02 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

what i would like to know is, if there was a huge cloud of smoke in the middle of the night, why would you go driving into it without driving cautiously. Who knows there couldve been a cliff on the other side of the smoke, unfortunately there was a bunch of people

Ultimately the street racers and crowd will be blamed
Old 02-18-08, 12:40 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Ultimately the street racers and crowd will be blamed
And that's what the national media has done. I saw the ABC report which repeatedly blamed the deaths on "street racing". I suppose if a kid gets hit chasing a ball into the street, we should blame it on basketball too.
Old 02-18-08, 03:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
And that's what the national media has done. I saw the ABC report which repeatedly blamed the deaths on "street racing". I suppose if a kid gets hit chasing a ball into the street, we should blame it on basketball too.
Apples and oranges. Basketball is not an illegal activity. Street racing IS....and it is for a reason. When is the last time you saw seven people die in a basketball game?

And as far as kids running into the street after *****, that is on parents and teachers to train them properly as to what is dangerous and what isn't...including street racing. Just because running into the street after ***** is dangerous, that doesn't make street racing any LESS dangerous.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-18-08 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-18-08, 04:04 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Apples and oranges. Basketball is not an illegal activity. Street racing IS....and it is for a reason. When is the last time you saw seven people die in a basketball game?
Terrible logic. The legality of an activity doesn't change the reason or the fault for an accident that occurred completely independently of the activity. What caused these deaths was not street racing; it was people lining up on the sides of and even standing in the middle of the road, and a driver who not only drove directly through the crowd - but allegedly did not even have his headlights on.

Suggesting that street racing should be illegal because people decided to stand in the middle of the road in the middle of the night while a car without headlights on plowed in to them is such a non sequitur that I can't even believe someone would type such a thing with a straight face.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And as far as kids running into the street after *****, that is on parents and teachers to train them properly as to what is dangerous and what isn't...including street racing. Just because running into the street after ***** is dangerous, that doesn't make street racing any LESS dangerous.
Again, I have no idea what this has anything to do with the cause or fault of an incident.

Last edited by gengar; 02-18-08 at 04:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Seven Killed in Street Racing Accident in Maryland