Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Red light camera gets more victims

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 12:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

mike, man that's close call

but yes, these red light cameras are horrible..... a lot of times it does nothing except putting more stress on drivers..... every day my wife and i have to pass through an intersection famous for red light cameras. always so damn stressed not sure if we would hit yellow when passing through

sux......
Old 02-18-08, 12:27 PM
fatmike
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mass doesn't have them because of the aforementioned reason; the added risks outweigh the safety features.
Old 02-18-08, 01:10 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Threxx
I'm not sure what all of the complaints are about. If you aren't going too fast for conditions then they aren't an issue.

If you are entering the intersection after the light has already turned red, yet when the light first turned yellow you didn't think you had time to safely stop, then either:
-You have very poor judgment in regards to timing.
-Your first thought wasn't "can I safely stop without panic braking", it was "can I make it", which is what so many people do and is the wrong first thought to have with a yellow light... thought you could beat it and initially kept accelerating and then reconsidered

Personally I think red light cameras are GREAT though they might want to consider extending yellow lights a little bit more in the intersections so people with slower reactions and not so great judgment don't get forced into a situation they can't react to quickly enough.

i'm with Threxx on the issue of Red Light Cameras.

the amount cars that pass through on a red light (especially on left turns) is ridiculous around where i live.
Old 02-18-08, 03:06 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

There are so many self-important ****** here in Orange County I actually don't mind the red light cameras. There have been times when I finally get a green light after waiting at an intersection and there are STILL cars entering the intersection from an opposing left turn lane. I've seen plenty of close calls.

Obey the law, don't follow others too closely and you'll have no fear of the cameras.
Old 02-18-08, 03:09 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

75$$$???? I paid 380$$$ for this stupid moronic red light camera for making right turn.

red light cameras can go to hell.
Old 02-18-08, 03:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
75$$$???? I paid 380$$$ for this stupid moronic red light camera for making right turn.

red light cameras can go to hell.
Sorry, friend. They're not going anywhere. I'm sorry you are out $380, but, for the most part, those cameras are here to stay. Get used to them....and just don't make any more traffic mistakes.
Old 02-18-08, 03:30 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
as people try to avoid those effin' $75 tickets.
only $75? more like $400 here. and dont ask how i know
Old 02-18-08, 03:36 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Photo Plate blockers FTW.....what's the worse that could happen? In MD you will get fined $50 for having one of those if you get caught, believe me I know lol but that's much cheaper than the $75.
Old 02-18-08, 03:37 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Philly is backwards in many ways, and I guess this gets added to the list. At a number if intersections with cameras, they have documented a substantial reduction of red light runners (or at least reported accidents). These are intersections where cross traffic crosses 12 lanes (6 inner 'express' lanes and 6 outer 'local' lanes) of a major blvd. People think if they run the 1st set of lights, it is ok to keep moving thru 9 more lanes. There's only so much 'timing' of the change to red can do.

I really don't have sympathy for those that have received red lite cam tix. I guess those folks haven't almost been broadsided by someone gunning the red lite-- I have. I see it all the time. And I'm not talking about someone in the intersection when the lite goes from yellow to red--I'm talking about the 2 cars BEHIND that one.

Last edited by tex2670; 02-18-08 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-18-08, 03:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cherplex
Photo Plate blockers FTW.....what's the worse that could happen? In MD you will get fined $50 for having one of those if you get caught, believe me I know lol but that's much cheaper than the $75.

You're better off with the $75 fine. A red-light camera fine only affects the car's registered owner (they don't know who was driving), not his or her license. It is not part of your driving record with points. You pay it once and you're done....no more worries. The $50 fine for Plate Blocking is considered a criminal action, even though it is not a moving violation. A criminal action stays with you.
Old 02-18-08, 03:59 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You're better off with the $75 fine. A red-light camera fine only affects the car's registered owner, not his or her license. It is not part of your driving record with points. You pay it once and you're done....no more worries. The $50 fine for Plate Blocking is considered a criminal action, even though it is not a moving violation. A criminal action stays with you.
I don't know about VA but MD it doesn't trust me I investigated this and even asked a MD State Trooper. The fine I did get came under safety inspection, the same as tail lamp failure, headlight failure, window tint etc.....but this was a few years ago so it may or may not have changed because of speed and red light cameras. I just don't see how a license plate cover can be a "criminal act"
Old 02-18-08, 04:10 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't know about VA but MD it doesn't trust me I investigated this and even asked a MD State Trooper. The fine I did get came under safety inspection, the same as tail lamp failure, headlight failure, window tint etc.....but this was a few years ago so it may or may not have changed because of speed and red light cameras. I just don't see how a license plate cover can be a "criminal act"
What you're talking about with safety inspections is unintentional covering of the license plate, which should of course fall under the realm of citation. But intentional covering of the license plate is probably a misdemeanor anywhere you go. After all, the only sensible reason to do it is to avoid identification while committing a crime.
Old 02-18-08, 05:03 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by gengar
What you're talking about with safety inspections is unintentional covering of the license plate, which should of course fall under the realm of citation. But intentional covering of the license plate is probably a misdemeanor anywhere you go. After all, the only sensible reason to do it is to avoid identification while committing a crime.
Well there are several companies that sell legitimate clear license plate covers, when I got cited it was for covering the license plate it didn't specify that I intentionally blocked it to avoid red light/speed cameras. As I noted the laws might have changed because of the emergence of speed and red light cameras. I knew someone else that got cited and it was just a fix it ticket and this was very recent.

I no longer have a cover on my plates but I will investigate what the current laws are here in MD just for my own information. And I will post what I find.
Old 02-18-08, 05:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK, sorry.....I agree I could have used a better term. Of course it's not a "criminal act" in the sense of robbery, assault, etc..... What I meant was that, as far as I know, the offense...and the fine for it.......goes on your personal record, unlike a red-light camera ticket, which is just a pay-once-and-forget-it event. If not, than MD apparantly has changed the way it looks at these things.
Old 02-18-08, 06:07 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in Cali you gotta go to traffic school too ...

like my roommate.

Quick Reply: Red light camera gets more victims