Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Red light camera gets more victims

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 06:22 PM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahahahahahhahahha
Old 02-18-08, 07:28 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

We've had red light cameras ( I thought they were for the Red Light district ) for quite a while in our province (BC). The government run insurance company installed mounts at 100 high incident locations throughout the province, but only 20 of them have the camera gear in them at any one time as they are quite costly, so they concentrate on the worst of the one hundred intersections - what better authority to decide where they should go than the insurance overseer? Eventually the public gets wise and figures out where the hot spots are (if a driver gets flashed and doesn't get his picture in the mail along with a $150 ticket attached, then obviously the word gets around that it's a dead installation, but the flash is supposed to spook drivers anyway. Of course the question arises, who was driving the vehicle at the time, but ultimately responsibility falls on the owner.

Most people have accepted the cameras as a necessary evil, and after all they're a lot less annoying than photo radar. Those were turfed out as part of an election promise in a change of government.

Last edited by Johnny; 02-18-08 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-18-08, 08:35 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find that if you're not speeding or tailgating or trying to beat the light, there is usually no conflict with red light cameras. I got caught twice by the camera and both times it was my fault as I was trying to beat the light. I actually like them. If someone rear ends someone because of one of these, then the blame is on them. Why would someone be so close to the car in front if the light is turning yellow? Pay the ticket, pay the insurance, or get sued, suck it up.

Also, do any of the plate shields actually work? I thought most of those things were scams and hoaxes.
Old 02-18-08, 08:57 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
I find that if you're not speeding or tailgating or trying to beat the light, there is usually no conflict with red light cameras. I got caught twice by the camera and both times it was my fault as I was trying to beat the light. I actually like them. If someone rear ends someone because of one of these, then the blame is on them. Why would someone be so close to the car in front if the light is turning yellow? Pay the ticket, pay the insurance, or get sued, suck it up.

Also, do any of the plate shields actually work? I thought most of those things were scams and hoaxes.
same here, I like them -- make the idiots STOP AT RED LIGHTS!!!
If someone hits you from behind sue their a$$!!

"mythbusters" tested the plate shield stuff....they're all scams.

Last edited by bagwell; 02-19-08 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-19-08, 06:38 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess I'm one of the few that like the idea of camera. I like the idea of speeding tickets too. Don't you just drive a little more carefully after receiving ANY kind of citation; if only for a while.

The only difference between democracy and anarchy are laws and enforcement of those laws. Our country was founded on laws, and I think they help keep all of us safer. Can you imagine taking away the cameras and the stop signs and the speed limits? I wouldn't want my Lexus on those roads unless they were WAY out of town.

When you're on the Bonneville salt flats -- do what ever you want. When you're in a town with even one stoplight, that light should give you a clue more people live there than the flats. Sometimes we all need to be protected from "the other guy."

Mike, I'm sorry to say, even though you got to drive away unharmed, don't you feel YOU contributed to the pileup behind you? Shame on you.

Maybe "kinder, gentler society" is too idealistic, but consider the alternative.

You may all go back on the streets now, but should you?