Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota's VI (Value Innovation) Plan

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 06:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,395 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
How often do ECUs break thought, apart from an accident? It's a pretty rare thing I would say. If you look purely at material costs, I think replacing one of these would be cheaper than say replacing a couple or a dozen of the old ECUs.

The way I see it is the huge number of ECUs before meant they were all quite specialized and economies of scale would not help a great deal in reducing the costs. With these new ECUs not only is the amount of raw material reduced, lowering costs, but these new ECUs are likely more multi-purpose and likely there is greater potential in seeing the cost of them lower through better economies of scale. The electrical systems on the new Crown were also simplified compared to the previous generation.

Also consider it's likely to require less time and labour to install four ECUs compared to the 60 that were on the previous generation.
All good points. My only concern is that with 60 ECUs if one goes out I might lose, say, headlight washers. Now a car losing 1 of 4 ECUs has a major conniption/stroke.
Old 02-20-08, 07:53 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Part of what Watanabe needs to include in his "big picture" approach is the BIG QUALIY PROBLEM involving numerous Toyota and Lexus models and use any savings and some current cash available to rapidly address them.

This is news the competition drools over IMO.
Toyota has been addressing it's quality problems since 2006. Quality has been a top priority in the company for 2 years now, you're going to see the fruits of their efforts with future new and redesigned models.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
All good points. My only concern is that with 60 ECUs if one goes out I might lose, say, headlight washers. Now a car losing 1 of 4 ECUs has a major conniption/stroke.
That's certainly a risk but I think Toyota is well aware of that. With future vehicles from Toyota and other automakers having more and more electrical systems, the reliability of ECUs will be more important than ever. It would be a huge mistake on Toyota's part not make these ECUs and electrical systems super-reliable. Historically though, Toyota has been known for very reliable electrical systems and electrical systems are typically more reliable than mechanical systems.
Old 02-20-08, 10:45 PM
LexFather

I wonder sometimes will us O.G Lexus owners who buy new ones say what Benz owners say today "they sure don't build them like they used to"...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Old 02-22-08, 05:24 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Toyota has been addressing it's quality problems since 2006. Quality has been a top priority in the company for 2 years now, you're going to see the fruits of their efforts with future new and redesigned models.
The problem is Watanabe, he needs to go and take quite a few of corporate USA with him when he leaves. Until then the quality is going to continue to spiral downward. They need to replace him with someone that owned and operated their own manufacturing company successfully for a years.

I used to give him the benefit of the doubt having owned my own manufacturing company, but now believe the problems are due to his lack of skill and/or leadership.